What's new
What's new

Automatic bandsaw outfeed table and parts catcher?

Garwood

Diamond
Anyone built an outfeed table to drain coolant off the parts and prevent bigger parts from banging into each other?

Not exactly, however I saw a CNC lathe with parts catcher, putting leetle fragile parts onto a linear vibration conveyor, where it was lined with grass carpet.
Eriez - Vibratory Feeders and Conveyors

coolant drained off, and back into the sump,(linear conveyor pan had a drain tube) the parts moved away from the lathe, and were corralled at one end.

I had a vee-roller conveyor on the outfeed side of my Daito saw, but I was only cutting steel rounds, and fairly long parts.

It didn't drain coolant, and it wouldn't be very versatile- but it worked great for round bars...

I currently cut alot of 4" pieces of 4" 6061 and 18" pieces of 1.5x5 6061. I just let them drop into big Uline plastic carts and drain the coolant off after they settle.

I've got a high volume product in the works that will be a shitload of 2" long 6.5" 1045. I don't think my bins/process are going to work.

The coolant isn't that big of a deal. It's easy enough to drain the bins back into the saw. Heavier parts dropping 30" is the bigger concern. Especially the 4" round 6061 parts where most of the outside isn't machined at all.

I've had this auto saw for awhile, but haven't been able to really set it up and use it. I have a friend (a drunk) that I used to pay in beer to babysit my manual saw all day. Hopefully I can get the auto saw dialed in to where I don't need Captain Coors Light anymore.

Maybe you could fill the tub half way up with some fluid (water?) to cushion the fall? That way the parts would “sink” instead of just free-falling.

Like Nerdlinger said, large bin with water.
The water actually has a couple benefits.
First, draining off the coolant is almost pointless as there is precious little to save.
BUT!!! the water bath will dampen the fall, AND it will wash off the nasty ass chips, which - if allowed to dry onto the slugs - are an absolute bitch to deal with.

One thing to note though, the splash from the slugs will need to be dealt with.
I've made a small wireframe enclosure and covered it with a shower curtain. She ain't pretty, but works.

You can also float chunks of wood in the water tank. They help to break the fall more than just the water.

You can also float chunks of wood in the water tank. They help to break the fall more than just the water.

Sumbitch wmpy !!!
You're a freakin' genius!!!

Never mind chunks of wood, rather larger pieces of sponges!
No banging, no splashing.

( Damm, someof'm rednecks truly deserve a real prize! )

I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I actually read about it on this forum a while ago.

I did enjoy being called a genius, though.

I did enjoy being called a genius, though.

You Are Welcome!

Actually, the real intention was a Redneck Genius, but whotever.

Y'now!
Cars perched on ol' tires 'll keep'm dry and rust-free(er).
Sealed Bud cans 'll keep shit afloat when properly tied ( let it be old boat, house, or the combination of both )
Ducktape can serve as a replaceable weld ... ( or glue, or nail, or screw joint )

Nonetheless, having stuff ( wood chunks, foam or small children if so needed ) in the drop-tub is a truly genius idea!

Back