What's new
What's new

Automating 6 pallet pool HMC

rbmgf7

Aluminum
Wondering if what I'm about to ask is doable. Bare with me on this Q.

I started working at a facility that has a Wia HMC with a 6 pallet carousel-style changer.

The carousel is still manually operated so after the operator loads/unloads the part, they need to cycle the pallet to the machine and visa-versa for a finished part.

The carousel obviously knows the pallet's location since you can select a specific pallet to move to the machine or load/unload area. There is some sort of interlock between the carousel and machine to not allow pallets to load/unload on top of another.

Wondering if there are any integrators out there that can set up the machine/carousel to be automated?

So the process would go: after loading a part, the operator can tell the machine a part is ready as well as have the machine automatically call the respective program for the part (we're using Predator DNC. AFAIK, Predator can call a program via barcode so I don't know how far off that is from marrying programs to parts in a carousel. I imagine an external PLC would control pallet/programs and then the PLC would dump the program into the PMC? Or maybe the PMC is capable of controlling all of this?)

It'd be nice to load the carousel with parts but even if 2 pallets were to be used, it'd be nice for the carousel to automatically cycle itself to bring the pallets to and from the operator/machine.

Our one go-to business that sold and setup the equipment is slammed with work but I don't think this is in their realm. I figure Hyundai will charge an arm and a leg so looking for some other businesses that might know how to make this work? I wonder if there's something to learn from Fanuc's coursework on Macro's and PMC programming?

I honestly did not know that was a way these machines could be configured... Having a HMC/pallet pool without the control being able to automatically load a new pallet seems so backwards!

Not uncommon for small pallet pools to be managed by the PMC ladder program. There are several "levels" of PMC available from Fanuc for a machine builder to select from when determining the control configuration for a machine. Number of I/O points and maximum number of steps/rungs available being a couple of the major differences. Controlling a pallet pool might have been beyond the abilities of the PMC programmer(s) at Wia. Or, the machine was never spec'd with a PMC with enough capacity to handle the extra I/O and ladder program size needed.

To use an external PLC would still require you to modify the Wia ladder in the PMC. There are functions within the PMC programming to select programs from CNC memory for execution based on inputs to the PMC.

What you are considering is technically doable. The real question is it practical and economically viable. IMO, it probably is not.

What you are considering is technically doable. The real question is it practical and economically viable. IMO, it probably is not.

x2

Buy a mill from someone other than the cheapest quote, and then you can git sumpthing done.

It will likely be cheaper, or at least no more expensive to buy a much better machine from a more reputable company that already has this feature, than you gambling with upgrading bottom feeders.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Has anyone been to the Fanuc CNC training? I've been to the basic robot course a couple years ago and it was pretty good. There's a bunch of courses that I'd like to look into. Figure look into the courses leaning towards macro and PMC programming.

Went to several many years ago. Like most training classes I've been to, the quality of the class depended a lot on the instructor. They ranged from very good to a waste of time.

The attendees have an effect on how the class goes. I was at DC servo drive maintenance back in the 80s and there were a couple of guys that had zero CNC experience and little electrical knowledge. By the end of the week we had covered less than half of the subject matter we were supposed to.

unless cnc setup for automatic feed control that is each tool has a maximum settable spindle load and servo thrust load and on overload a automatic feed reduction to 50% feed is done and if after 5 seconds it still reads overload a auto feed hold is done running automatic is extremely dangerous
on a mazak this saves a dulling drill or mill from doing expensive damage. the ideal of running multiple pallets at only over 100% max loads trips the breakers is well scary and dangerous. like running electrical circuits off 200 amp main circuit breaker and only a 30 amp overload burns the house down
i have seen machine push 10 tons on parts and severe spindle damage requiring a new spindle made and installed. dont take long at full machine power with no reduced limits protection to do severe damage, extremely expensive damage

Ox,

Is Wia really a bottom feeder? I thought they were a reputable company? I'd genuinely like to know as I might be considering a machine from them in the future.

rbmgf7,

I would definitely find out from Wia what it would take to do what you want. It might be simpler than you think. At least you can get a cost to compare to.

Is Wia really a bottom feeder?

I suppose it depends on your point of reference. If you are looking at Wia compared to premiere Japanese builders, then yes. If you are comparing it to some no-name Chinese builders, then no.

I'm wondering if the pallet carousel on the OP's machine is an "add-on" or third party device. Having to operate it by other than the CNC control or a cell control seems too primitive for an OEM device.

It may be possible that they don't fully know how to operate the system, and are getting by with manual operation.

Back