What's new
What's new

Backing up Mitsubishi Meldas Control Parameters, Ladder, ...?

rpseguin

Stainless
SRT Mike very helpfully posted this detailed response (Thanks!!) in my other thread, but I thought it might be useful to split it off for future reference/web searches.
Can someone confirm procedure for the Mitsubishi Meldas 320M is what he outlines below?
I’m trying to confirm procedure for 320M control, as I won’t have a ton of time to play around and try to figure it out.
Also, what battery does the 320M need?

SRT Mike helpfully wrote:
Not 100% sure on the M320. On the M50, press DIAG IN/OUT, then press MENU soft key twice, then press OUTPUT. You see a screen showing the various options.

May as well output everything. Type #1 in "#" column and for the DATA column enter "ALL" and press input (it will output over RS-232). Type #2 (for tool data) in # field and leave DATA field blank and hit input again. Then enter #3 (parameters) and nothing in DATA and hit input. Then #5 (common variables), nothing in DATA and hit input. Then type 30 in the # field, nothing in DATA and hit input (outputs macro programs). It should show it as it outputs and say "DATA OUT COMPLETE" when done.

Then hit E-stop, and go to the NC controller in the back of the cabinet and turn the CS2 swith (small rotary switch, usually under a cover plate) to position 1. This stops the ladder. Then type 99 in the # field and "ALL1" in the DATA field, and press INPUT. Then put 99 in the # field and "ALL2" in the DATA field and hit input. Then 99 again in the # field and "ALL3" in the DATA field and input. Turn the CS2 switch back to 0 to re-start the ladder and dis-engage E-stop, machine will be back up and running.

ALL1 is parameters, PLC constants, timers, work offsets, R-registers, PLC latches and switches, spindle and axis parameters, communication settings and all the critical stuff you need.

ALL2 is tool offsets, common variables, too life data, etc.

ALL3 is the ladder.

SRT Mike very helpfully posted this detailed response (Thanks!!) in my other thread, but I thought it might be useful to split it off for future reference/web searches.
Can someone confirm procedure for the Mitsubishi Meldas 320M is what he outlines below?
I’m trying to confirm procedure for 320M control, as I won’t have a ton of time to play around and try to figure it out.
Also, what battery does the 320M need?

SRT Mike helpfully wrote:
Not 100% sure on the M320. On the M50, press DIAG IN/OUT, then press MENU soft key twice, then press OUTPUT. You see a screen showing the various options.

May as well output everything. Type #1 in "#" column and for the DATA column enter "ALL" and press input (it will output over RS-232). Type #2 (for tool data) in # field and leave DATA field blank and hit input again. Then enter #3 (parameters) and nothing in DATA and hit input. Then #5 (common variables), nothing in DATA and hit input. Then type 30 in the # field, nothing in DATA and hit input (outputs macro programs). It should show it as it outputs and say "DATA OUT COMPLETE" when done.

Then hit E-stop, and go to the NC controller in the back of the cabinet and turn the CS2 swith (small rotary switch, usually under a cover plate) to position 1. This stops the ladder. Then type 99 in the # field and "ALL1" in the DATA field, and press INPUT. Then put 99 in the # field and "ALL2" in the DATA field and hit input. Then 99 again in the # field and "ALL3" in the DATA field and input. Turn the CS2 switch back to 0 to re-start the ladder and dis-engage E-stop, machine will be back up and running.

ALL1 is parameters, PLC constants, timers, work offsets, R-registers, PLC latches and switches, spindle and axis parameters, communication settings and all the critical stuff you need.

ALL2 is tool offsets, common variables, too life data, etc.

ALL3 is the ladder.

This is the same procedure I used on my 320M minus the whole CS2 switch thing. I should probably take a look for the switch and preform that although I am not terribly concerned as I have all the original documentation for the machine as well as the original dealer having copies of it as well.

If no one has chimed in on the battery by this afternoon I will go take a look and report back.

This is the same procedure I used on my 320M minus the whole CS2 switch thing. I should probably take a look for the switch and preform that although I am not terribly concerned as I have all the original documentation for the machine as well as the original dealer having copies of it as well.

If no one has chimed in on the battery by this afternoon I will go take a look and report back.

Thanks so much!

No answer on the battery yet.

Yes the green LED is on, she is running some parts as we speak :cool: 30 years old and still making $$$$

Hope this helps

Thanks so much!!
If you’re close to Napa, CA, come on over for beers and food!

That’s an interesting looking battery pack!
I was thinking that I’d try to make an external, easily replaceable setup using rechargeable 18650 lithium ion cells.
I’d have 2 in parallel or something, so I could pull one out

Thanks so much!!
If you’re close to Napa, CA, come on over for beers and food!

That’s an interesting looking battery pack!
I was thinking that I’d try to make an external, easily replaceable setup using rechargeable 18650 lithium ion cells.
I’d have 2 in parallel or something, so I could pull one out

It's ok to use a "different" battery, but do NOT use Lithium Ion as the charging circuitry won't work and they will likely catch on fire....I think....not worth the risk. Stick with Nickle MH, same voltage, larger capacity should be ok.

It's ok to use a "different" battery, but do NOT use Lithium Ion as the charging circuitry won't work and they will likely catch on fire....I think....not worth the risk. Stick with Nickle MH, same voltage, larger capacity should be ok.

Oh yeah!
I saw 3.6V and my mind somehow added .1V to make it 3.7V and I thought lithium ion.

Well, I have plenty of NiMH batteries and packs, so easy to make an external pack with higher capacity than 200mAh

Old enough to use NiMH. The follow on 500 series used li primary cells. Not rechargeable.

The charging algorithm for LiIon is quite different than NiMH. As Hardplates said it is likely to overcharge them and possibly vent or flame. A protection circuit on the cells could prevent the overcharge condition. Not worth the risk IMO.

On the M50 and 500 series, you do not need to use the CS2 switch setting to output the ladder and PLC stuff. There is a softkey called RUN/STOP under the Fo screen File softkey. Set it to stop and then the All1. All2, and All3 can be output.

Old enough to use NiMH. The follow on 500 series used li primary cells. Not rechargeable.

The charging algorithm for LiIon is quite different than NiMH. As Hardplates said it is likely to overcharge them and possibly vent or flame. A protection circuit on the cells could prevent the overcharge condition. Not worth the risk IMO.

I definitely will use an NiMH pack.
I just mistakenly thought it was lithium ion.

On the M50 and 500 series, you do not need to use the CS2 switch setting to output the ladder and PLC stuff. There is a softkey called RUN/STOP under the Fo screen File softkey. Set it to stop and then the All1. All2, and All3 can be output.

Thanks for that add-on. I knew there was a way to stop the PLC from the screen, but I didn't have it in my notes and have since sold the machine... I thought it was a parameter but that needed set, but your post brings it all back... rpenguin, definitely easier to do it from the screen than to be opening up the cabinet!

I also called Mitsubishi automation today and they were very helpful and sent me a bunch of docs.

He said that they still have parts, but that if drives go bad and they can’t be repaired, they have newer (but not the same) drop in replacements.

Very pleased with Mitsubishi service!

Back