What's new
What's new

Backside chamfering tool for hard-to-machine materials

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

Another fella just asked a similar question, but had a bit more flexibility. I’m looking for a backside chamfer tool for a .250 and a .125 hole in inconel.

Any good suggestions for such a tool? I caught a glimpse of some inserted tooling from the other thread, but I’ve never tried them on tougher materials.

Added: whole point being I didn’t want to jack his thread. His issue is a little different and he seems to be getting good help.

Heule Tool - Locate Agent

Msc
Butler bross

Very pricey....
$300+
I looked at their website, picked out a tool I would like to try. The "Locate Agent" returns one guy in Ohio or somewhere that apparently covers about half the US. Somehow I don't think an email about a single tool will get his attention.

I looked on the MSC and Butler Bros websites, but can't find any Heule tools of any kind.

So it looks like special order stuff, which makes me thing replacement inserts may be hard to get.

I use Cogsdills and EZ-Burrs, but that Heule looks like a good design and I like that the cutting edge is almost at the bottom of the tool- less clearance needed below the hole. They also say they can do elliptical surfaces, where the Cogsdills and EZ-Burrs are only marginal on anything less than flat.

I'll check with my Western guy snd see if he can order one- let him deal with contacting the rep.

I don't care so much about the upfront cost, it's more a question of availability and if the inserts are inventoried in the States. $300 over many thousands of holes, and all that handwork saved is a no-brainer.

I think for the OP they might be what he is looking for- they have hard metal versions, and the way they work looks like it would make a consistent chamfer.

Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

Just send Heule number to msc
Or butler bross
They have it.
They are wayyy better than any other.

Superior design

Tools are readily available...

Depending on the depth of the material, I use Carmex mini back chamfering tools on hard materials.

CNC mill? How deep? Can you reach through with a double-angle cutter? That way you have a lot more control over how much chamfering happens compared to one of the spring-loaded tools, and you can program around interruptions or obstructions if any.

Regards.

Mike

CNC mill? How deep? Can you reach through with a double-angle cutter? That way you have a lot more control over how much chamfering happens compared to one of the spring-loaded tools, and you can program around interruptions or obstructions if any.

Regards.

Mike

Yeah but--he's talking about a .25-.125" hole.

R

Here is a 5/32" double-angle cutter back-deburring a .182" hole .475" deep:

Back deburr.jpg

1/8" hole is a stretch, but can be done in the same manner if not too deep.

Regards.

Mike

I've used Heule tools in the past in Inconel 718 for round edge breaks on front and backside of a flange. This particular part had 30 holes around 0.250" diameter. Works great and just about the fastest way to do it I know of. In my case it was WAY faster than having the benching department do it :D

The size of your edge break is basically determined by the stiffness of the little spring inside the tool. We never had any issues with them scratching the bore when passing through.

Only trick is programming them, you basically want to write your own canned cycle to do it. They have a nice guide on how to do so. Once you get that dialed in they are very reliable/repeatable.

The other option would be a solid tool from Harvey, they make very nice backside chamfer/corner round tools that I've had good luck with as well. Won't be as fast as the Heule however.

Back