What's new
What's new

Bad/dying Fanuc LCD or graphics?

rpseguin

Stainless
I wired my 2010 Spinner SB CNC lathe back up today, but something is wrong with the display. It has a Fanuc 18i TB control on it.
Not sure if it is the LCD is going bad, or if it is the graphics card.
it comes up flat bright grey and then over the next couple of minutes it get progressively darker in a growing blob until it is almost black.
While it is going darker, I can see the coordinates and softkeys, so it looks like the actual CNC control is working.

A minute or so after powering on:
a2ab1d1a26ce935973d4e79d7cdacb99.jpg

A couple minutes after powering on (you can actually read coordinates and see things):
89a7b9dae096a3f9fd55c339b1fb643d.jpg

A minute or two later:
05a232cd7c50cdff8c7af8f595b69923.jpg

And it just keeps getting darker and darker.

Any ideas?
I’m running from the same 25HP rotary phase converter I was using at my old place. Measured voltages seem reasonable: 440V leg to leg +/- 10V or so.

this looks more contrast adjustment related, that signal is usually set by a voltage divider, a trim pot or couple resistors, usually near the power supply/lcd cable connector area, could try to search for datasheet for that lcd panel to find out the pinout of the connecting cable and locate the contrast adjustment circuitry on the PCB that way

edit: quick search on the fanuc 18i shows that it might be a Sharp 7.2" LM64P101 display, if so, here are couple snippets from the datasheet that might help narrowing the problem down:
cap1.JPGcap2.jpg

I’m pretty sure it’s a 10”. Definitely larger than 7”
I’ll measure it when I get a chance.

this looks more contrast adjustment related, that signal is usually set by a voltage divider, a trim pot or couple resistors, usually near the power supply/lcd cable connector area, could try to search for datasheet for that lcd panel to find out the pinout of the connecting cable and locate the contrast adjustment circuitry on the PCB that way

edit: quick search on the fanuc 18i shows that it might be a Sharp 7.2" LM64P101 display, if so, here are couple snippets from the datasheet that might help narrowing the problem down:
View attachment 274624View attachment 274625

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I turned on my Spinner SB CNC lathe last night and the LCD came up just fine this time!
Ran into other alarms, but I think I can figure those out.
I’m happy the LCD is back to life!

4680766322aa3e80f1a224fa48b3e968.jpg

Back