What's new
What's new

Ball Endmill in Aluminum - 3FL vs 2FL

boosted

Stainless
So I have always been a fan of 3 flute tools in aluminum. They seem to have a little better rigidity than 2 flute, lower chipload at same feeds, plus they can be variable pitch, etc...

But when it comes to ball endmills, it's a little harder to find 3 flute tools. In fact, most of the really high performance stuff seems to be 2 flute. My thoughts is that if we go with 2 flutes, we are going to have to feed 50% lower. Am I missing something there?

Obviously the question is for doing tilted work, or work on the sides of the ball, since when we're dragging the center across a surface the SFM is basically zero anyways and the thing is just scraping it's way through.

I think it's easier to grind the gullets of two flute ball endmills, and generally you'll have a little more chip "flow" volume. Many three flutes are ground with two gashes and one "cut to center" flute, so you're actually better off with a two in those cases.

When possible, I use a bull (corner radius) cutter, otherwise if I need to I'll rough away as much material with a smaller square cutter and finish with the ball. It's dependent on the job and circumstances.

If you're using that ball mill on relatively flat surfaces, you're not actually picking up any effective cutting flutes as I've yet to see a ball mill with more then 2 center cutting flutes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Every three-flute ball endmill is one-flute at the tip. So if you're cutting at the tip, you can go twice as fast with a two-flute. I'd only use a three-flute if cutting with the flank of the tool.

Check out the De Boer Tool A-Mill if you're looking for high performance 3 flute ball nose end mills for aluminum. They're great tools!

Matt, Matt, Matt...

First rule of successful "help spamming" is don't post under your company name.

Second rule: Don't make it your first post.

Third rule: FFS, keep some stock of your tools! You've got one piece of 551-0375-301, a regular 3/8" 3Fl for Al? And no 5/8"??

There was another rule about not talking about help spam, but I forget what number it is.

Back