What's new
What's new

Ball locks for supplates on a 4th axis

Delw

Stainless
Ball locks for subplates on a 4th axis

I do alot of parts that require all 6 sides to be machined. figure I can do 4 sides on the 4th axis.
In the past I have made a alum face plate bolted to the hass 210 rotary with 2 pins and 4 screw holes to hold the part bolted to the subplate. on small parts its not a biggy as 1/4-20 screws bolt in pretty fast.
however we have some big blocks this and other jobs with quantities of each part that are 100-250 pcs 3-5 times a year of each part number.
Also thinking if I use ball locks I wont have to change the face plate that often for different size parts.

will ball locs work for that type of cutting? I assume it will just never used them before, or do you guys have a better way to attach a Pallets(if you will) to a face plate bolted to the 4th.

Basically I just need to way to attach the pallet with part to the 4th axis most rigid and fastest way with out indicating every part.

Thanks

On my 4th, I went with the a Lang 96mm grid receiver, and I cannot imagine not having a 4th axis without it.

Lang Quick Point is basically a 96mm or 52mm grid system that uses pulldown studs. Receiver plates (available in various sizes) are actuated with a hex key from the side to clamp onto the studs and hold them in with some absurd amount of force. The system repeats within 0.0002", and takes less than 30 seconds to swap components. Lang sells 5 axis vises in various sizes, as well as chucks, but you can make whatever you want, including your strap clamp plates. Better yet, for really big work, you can drill/tap the stock and apply the studs to throw it directly on the 4th.

Never saw those before, that is pretty slick, ive looked at the vises but missed the quick points.
we would probaby have to run the studs to the material as its already heavy (7x10x2.250 alum) and adding a steel plate to that might wear ya out or pinch a finger. I had to raise the 4th an inch.
Made most of a bolt on one today
Thank you for that info

Back