Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bar Puller Recommendations?

I'm trying to pick up a bar puller for our old Doosan Lynx 220L lathe, but I'm having trouble finding any reviews for most of them on the market. There are bunch of different styles and a wide range of cost, so I'd love some recommendations from y'all before spending money on something that is unusable.
    I'm looking for a non actuated style. I would like to be able to pull up to 1" dia steel bars with it. (alot of them look like they would grab aluminum great but not steel)
    Also looking for input on if anyone has had luck doing production runs with these turret mounted bar pullers, or if they are more of a gimmick?
    Thank you guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a Royal available from MSC; too expensive, but this type works very well, even pulling 2-1/2" material: MSC# 84940816

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use the Dunham Tool puller and like it. If you have to pull a size you dont have just turn the end down to one you do, only needs 1/4" to grab really. I use up to 2", down to 1/4"
    Bar Pullers | Dunham Tool Company
    I think MSC sells them too.

4. Likes EnginCycles, chet, tay2daizzo8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use the Royal puller:

Royal Combo CNC Bar Pullers

Works fine. I pull up to 1". Will leave a mark on the stock, so take that into account if you don't have to turn the OD.

Bill

6. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by reidhardy View Post
    I'm trying to pick up a bar puller for our old Doosan Lynx 220L lathe, but I'm having trouble finding any reviews for most of them on the market. There are bunch of different styles and a wide range of cost, so I'd love some recommendations from y'all before spending money on something that is unusable.
    I'm looking for a non actuated style. I would like to be able to pull up to 1" dia steel bars with it. (alot of them look like they would grab aluminum great but not steel)
    Also looking for input on if anyone has had luck doing production runs with these turret mounted bar pullers, or if they are more of a gimmick?
    Thank you guys!
    For anything up to 30mm I just drill a hole 0.5mm undersize in a piece of Acetal, works great. Remember to put a small radius on the bar after you part-off and it will last a thousand or so pulls before you need to cut it down and carry on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For a wide range of stock we use the heavy duty Royal, have pulled up to 3" with it. It does mark the stock, and does take a few minutes to set up though.
    Royal Heavy-Duty CNC Bar Pullers
    They are definitely not a gimmick been using one for a long time. Have used a puller to pull and push like a swiss for some parts before.

This puller caught my attention and have been meaning to look into.
    YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was in the same place. Ordered a Dunham kit for my New Okuma. Works great! Using TrustyCook liners.

10. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another vote for Royal. I sell them and my clients have only good things to say about them. If you can use the combo cutoff that's a nice bonus.

12. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agonized over the choice a number of years ago. We use Micron EME's Smart Puller and simply could not be happier. Best puller I have ever used, bar none. Worth every penny and has never failed us. It took years and thousands upon thousands of pulls in materials from 0.125" - 2.00", but we finally used it so much that we wore the jaws a bit. Was going to design and make our own jaws here, but replacement jaws were hardened and ridiculously reasonably affordable.

Positively no affiliation other than that of satisfied customer.

They appear to have come down in price, too.

MICRON E.M.E — Smart Bar Puller

14. Likes mbraddock liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for the heavy duty Royal. It's pricey but worth it

16. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used the coolant activated (on a 300psi machine) and it worked okay, for small, lightweight stuff.
    We have made our own Dunham style pullers, prior to getting one of these and have not looked back.
    I don't remember buying this from Royal (and spending almost $700) but from US Shop Tools or fleabay.
    CNC LATHE BAR PULLER 1" SHANK | eBay
    royal_products_hi_compactcnc.jpg

Doug.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been using this ^ ebay one for a while. Works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one we like works like the one Zahnrad posted - pushes straight on, pulls straight off. I've never found a reference to it on Google, if anyone knows who Dri-lex is, please tell me. Closest I came was an oil drilling company in S.America. We've pulled a couple thousand bars with it w/no issues.
    We used a coolant activated unit for a while, they are slow AF. I sold our spare last year, thinking of selling the one I have left.
    For short hex parts.we have turned a groove at the short end of the bar, and grabbed the groove by sliding a piece of CRS flat bar with a U notch milled in it over the groove. Very low cost and foolproof.
    111.jpg

222.jpg

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a couple of the Royals. Not the one posted with the part off blade - the one without.
    One set for the small bars and one reversed and set for the large bars. We could pull 1x metre long 2" bar with no issue.
    They worked a treat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by OCTANE WORKHOLD View Post
    This puller caught my attention and have been meaning to look into.
    YouTube

I bought one of these EZ-Pullers a few months ago and have been very pleased with it so far. It's not cheap (~$600 if I recall correctly), but it's nice not having to adjust it for each size stock I run in the machine. I bought their small one (which pulls up to 1.75" round) and will probably pick up its big brother before the end of the year to pull some 3" round that's coming up on a future job.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by doug925 View Post
    I have used the coolant activated (on a 300psi machine) and it worked okay, for small, lightweight stuff.
    We have made our own Dunham style pullers, prior to getting one of these and have not looked back.
    I don't remember buying this from Royal (and spending almost $700) but from US Shop Tools or fleabay.
    CNC LATHE BAR PULLER 1" SHANK | eBay
    royal_products_hi_compactcnc.jpg

Doug.
    I've often thought about making one like that for myself and and extra 25 or so to see if they sell. I see about $100 sitting there without the fancy tool black.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone have experience with that Royal Puller/Part Off tool combo?

Starting the lathe shopping, and everyone has solid deals on pretty basic machines (the Tsugami M08J-II, Genos L250, Takasawa TCC), but they only have 8 stations, unless you spend a boatload to go to 12.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been using the heavy duty Royal for almost a year. It pulls 4 ft long 3.875" aluminum bars no problem. It's only rated to 3 5/8" stock, but it will pull 3 7/8" with the standard jaws.

You have to adjust the jaws for each stock size, and it leaves marks, but it has not failed me yet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Anyone have experience with that Royal Puller/Part Off tool combo?

Starting the lathe shopping, and everyone has solid deals on pretty basic machines (the Tsugami M08J-II, Genos L250, Takasawa TCC), but they only have 8 stations, unless you spend a boatload to go to 12.
    One of my clients didn’t have a bar feeder for his ST20 got one of these for high long runs as his work envelope is expanding. The lathe runs unattended no problem. You will have to modify the blade that fits into this unit. If you look at the photo it’s only about half of a blade. Just like any hands off or cheap automation make sure you’re tool life is dialed in.

For new clients I offer a free cutoff blade (Walter SX series) with purchase of the combo cutoff bar pulled.

If you’re a fellow PM’er I’ll throw a few free inserts in as well.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Supply Guru View Post
    For new clients I offer a free cutoff blade (Walter SX series) with purchase of the combo cutoff bar pulled.
    You sell the Royal? I'll buy it from you!

27. Likes Shop Supply Guru liked this post