What's new
What's new

Battery Backup on 1981 Mori SL-5 Fanuc T6

Ledyard

Plastic
I am looking at buying an older 1981 Mori SL-5 with Fanuc T6 control. The machine will sit in storage for a few months to a year before it gets plugged in again. I assume these older machines use a battery backup to store the parameters and other data on the control. Could anyone let me know where on the machine the battery is located and what replacement battery I should purchase? Also, is it possible to back up the SRAM on these older controls, and does anyone know the process for doing this? Is there anything else I should consider doing to the machine electrical wise before putting it in storage?
Thank you for the help

Fanuc 6 does not have batteries. It uses bubble memory.

Easiest way to backup parameters is to take pictures of every page with your phone and save somewhere you can't lose them.

If it's connected to a PC you can punch them

Thank you Garwood! Interesting, I have not heard of Bubble Memory before. I guess I don't have to worry about it running out of battery on the bright side. The machine is connected with a RS232 so Ill see if I can figure out how to punch them, If not pictures should work. Anything else I should be worried about with having this control disconnected from power for a while?

Mice would be my #1 concern.

Second would be humidity. Toss a few of those desiccant packs made for gun safes in each cabinet. In addition, if you are planning to store in a barn or under a tarp or such just scrap the thing. Not worth it.

When you set it back up clean out the way lube tank and replace the filter.

An SL5 is a big capacity machine- much more valuable that an SL2- or SL3 even with a 6T control. LPS the ways and bare metal and keep it dry. If you have a rodent problem put mothballs in the cabinets along with desiccant- don't forget some in the operator console- the little bastards crawl up the support tube! Clean the sump now- don't wait a year to do it.

don't forget some in the operator console- the little bastards crawl up the support tube!

This times 10!

Of all the machines and places for mice to hide in my shop (7k sq ft) plus 2 full time mice killing cats I still find mouse nests inside the console of my SL2. The entrance to the tube is right at the floor, easy for them to zip right up.

Back