What's new
What's new

Bearing for 4th Axis Tombstone

G00 Proto

Hot Rolled
I would like to make an "A" shaped support for the outboard end of some tombstones on a 4th Axis (Vertical Mill... kind of tough to do for a Horizontal). I built one a while back and used ball bearings, and felt that I got a bit of chatter from the play in the balls (I know, I said playing with my balls). Anybody ever done these. Tight tolerance plain bearing, roller bearing... I don't want to use a live center, it uses up too much table.

I used a mounted pillow block bearing from McMaster, P/N 5057N1. I'll post pics a bit later... but I also used an off-the-shelf dowel pin (also from McMaster) press-fit into the end of my fixture. The bearing has set screws to keep it snug, but it's already very snug on the pin. I drilled/tapped 4 jack screws on the corners of the bearing block to align it and dial it in perfectly.

Works perfectly.

I have used a 2" pillow block a cpl times before.
Not sure that would be any better than what you had before if you are blaming the bearing for chatter tho?

Those double roller tapered bearings (look like a beer barrel) as mentioned above sure have a LOT of surface area!
But they aint cheap either.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have used a 2" pillow block a cpl times before.
Not sure that would be any better than what you had before if you are blaming the bearing for chatter tho?

Those double roller tapered bearings (look like a beer barrel) as mentioned above sure have a LOT of surface area!
But they aint cheap either.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I wonder how a double row angular contact bearing would work?

I wonder how a double row angular contact bearing would work?

There is still clearance in them because they are built to run at speed. I think the rear hub and axle end from a 1 ton truck would work great, would be cheap, and you could adjust the clearance as tight as needed. How big is this going to be? Maybe a 60s Jeep front hub?

I'd play it simple, just a good polymer bearing of decent size (say, 1.5" OD, 1.25" ID, 1" W) with a heavy press fit into the A frame and a line to line in a polished post on the end of the tombstone. No clearance for chips to get in, but you'd have to check for swelling if the plastic is one that absorbs water from the coolant. At worst, a rebore after some time in use.

As long as it's a Delrin or PEEK-like material (not super soft), you'll get great load capacity and it'll last forever at the speeds you'll be spinning the fixture.

Back