Best approach for curved surface engraving - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    An issue with the Brother machines is that they have 3rd party tables and require a bit more parameter setup to work really well, depending on the rotary table used. A direct drive Yukiwa table is less finicky than my Sankyo table, for example (less gubbins between the encoders and the workpiece with direct drive; no gear train). Yamazen and I went down this road and we have it figured out, but very few applications in production machining require simultaneous 4th axis motion, so a learning curve for all is involved. Andy and Yamazen were (as always) fantastic about this and will help the OP get set up, but it isn't as simple as plugging one of these things in and getting it running.

Brother is also committed to it, hence their introduction of inverse time feed, but this is all still very new on the control and I understand some enhancements to it are inbound (it currently runs out of digits required to make it go at programmed feed rates, this is being corrected, and Mode B path smoothing doesn't work in inverse time yet).

As far as NX; wrapping text is easy. Contouring cuts with a 4th are easy (if the underlying CAD data is clean). Detailed engraving is where this gets difficult, NX really doesn't have great engraving tools being the core issue. I mentioned Fusion because it has the opposite problem - great (V Carve-like) engraving tools, no good way to wrap them around a 4th axis reliably.
    If I wanted a 4th for my S1000 that would be good for cams, tooling, and items requiring simultaneous 4th axis motion, which would you recommend?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by drcoelho View Post
    I'll be using NX. I'm also not adverse to doing some code development myself to generate the g-code as needed. I do understand the world is leaving me behind with regard to simultaneious 4th axis CAD/CAM tools. My future direction will involve doing some mathematical models to generate g-code, so again not adverse to going that direction.
    I use NX as well and don't forget we can do 3+2 super easy (program 3-axis with custom tool axis vectors then post with a 5-axis post) so why not try 3+1? I would try fixed axis contour operations with boundary drive method, specify a tool axis and then specify the text depth using negative part stock. I'm not sure how much you need to engrave but try doing your engraving in groups; one operation per group. You will end up with 3-axis paths and the post will take care of the 4th axis indexing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    If I wanted a 4th for my S1000 that would be good for cams, tooling, and items requiring simultaneous 4th axis motion, which would you recommend?
    Yukiwa direct drive. They have a new slim one coming out that is pretty awesome looking.

It is better than even the latest Fanuc DDR.