What's new
What's new

Best CNC 2-axis lathes

okkomputer

Plastic
Hello,

Just wanted to pick some brains and hear opinions.

I'm in the market for a new 2-axis CNC lathe, but I have a couple specs that are important in order to make it a good fit in my shop. I'm familiar with a couple brands, but by no means an aficionado.

Most important specs:
-Min. 4" bar capacity
-programmable tailstock
-Max work piece length 40"

I need a machine with a smaller foot print. I currently have a Samsung SL-35 and there's way more Z travel than I'll ever need.
Trick is finding a smaller machine that has a 4" bar capacity.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

I could be wrong but I seem to remember That Okuma Cadet having a big bore about that size. also I think the Haas HL3 was available in a big bore as well

^????? :ack2:

The OP was asking about the best 2 axis lathe.

well I don't see you giving any models with the travel and bore and size he is asking for. I have made some nice parts on a haas sl30 over the years. it's all in how well you know you're machine , and how you make her dance .

Take a look at Toolmex. Polish built beast of a lathe reasonable priced, sold and serviced through Jefferies/Phillips Haas Factory Outlets. They have just about every size anyone could possibly need. Built like a tank.

I bought the TUR-1200 with the 48" swing 40' between center with 17" bore and ran it with all she had daily. Still to this day I don't think it has ever had a service call for anything other than maintenance since it was bought new in 2007. Everything about them is over engineered from the 3 and 4 V-ways to the 6MT tail-stock with 4 rows of bearings. The tail-stock can be locked from rotating and the saddle will lock into it and pull it for heavy drilling. The Manual Plus versions have CNC thread pick up for existing threads (Nice feature I must say). That Goliath we bought was just shy of $300k so for that 5" bore 40" Z should be less than $100K optioned out.

Toolmex Lathes | Toolmex Industrial Solutions

DMG Mori NLX3000/1250. 4" bar, 49" max workpiece length.

Configurable as a 2-axis, although more frequently optioned milling and Y-axis, so base price is going to be on the higher side.

Okuma LB4000 big bore option with 1500 mm bed length:

4.015" bar capacity
59" length capacity
rigid live quill programmable tailstock

I have the super big bore because I needed over 5" bar capacity. It works great for me.

-Gene

I used to work for Doosan and the Puma box way line up would work. Sounds like a Puma 4100 or 5100 two axis would be ideal. Plenty of horsepower, torque and rigidity for tough materials and operations, Fanuc controls and drives, beautiful construction. For the size, the footprint is compact. There are long (L), extra long (XL), and ultra long (UL) but a regular 4100 04 5100 should do it. Call them!

The new mazak QT350s have a 4" bore. Mazaks seem to have a small footprint, at least in length anyway, compared to Z axis travel.

That's a tiny turret for the size of the lathe. Tool interference may be a real problem with that machine.

That's a radial turret in the picture.

I have two victors and the turret is plenty big.

If you just need a dumb 2 axis lathe with no bells and whistles, the Victors get the job done. They are built like a brick shithouse.

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I'm getting pricing now just to see the amount of variance. Trying to stay with Fanuc language.

I'm machining a 29" 2.625" 4140 tube material. Basically machining the 2.625" diameter down to 2.250" on the body, leaving 0.250" flanges on both sides. Would I need box way rigidity for this type of material and machining?

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I'm getting pricing now just to see the amount of variance. Trying to stay with Fanuc language.

I'm machining a 29" 2.625" 4140 tube material. Basically machining the 2.625" diameter down to 2.250" on the body, leaving 0.250" flanges on both sides. Would I need box way rigidity for this type of material and machining?

Thanks

You might want to check out the DMG Mori ALX range.

(different from CLX and NLX)

Boxed ways on the X axis and linear rolling element slides on Z.

Seems to be efficient on floor space.

Would you be seriously bar feeding your tube material ?

the ALX 2500| 1000 has ø 80mm (ø 3.1" ) bar capacity.

It's an integrated motor spindle , (5 arc second indexing if you need it ?) almost a MAZAK knock off in a way except for the boxed ways on the X axis for extra stable cutting. I really like the look of the steady rest options. especially for your sort of application. If you comb through their brochure you'll see what I mean. Seems the steady rests might be less obstructive than their MAZAK counterparts.

If you don't need to feed through the spindle then a smaller ALX could work for you like a ALX 2000|1000 or even an ALX 1500.

Seems like there's a ton of automation options for these machines.

Good roundness accuracy and Ra surface finishes.

ALX Series - Universal turning from DMG MORI

All downloads and PDF documents by DMG MORI

Seems to be MAPPS based updated control and a "Compact" version . That may or may not be good ?

The stand out for me / my eye is the small chuck size versus long bed length yet still efficient on floor space. That's a little rare these days for a wedge / slant bed machine. If you go through the specs on the brochure you'll see what I mean.

Should be cheaper than an NLX but better than a CLX . + more automation options. (good looking steady rest options and multiple steady rests to suit all budgets.) ~ seemingly.

Yamazen has the Takisawa (Japan) TCN-3500 L10 (1000mm Z) in stock in US. 4.3" bar capacity is optional. Standard is 3.1" I believe.

Back