What's new
What's new

Best CNMG 432 insert for Turning 17-4PH

Beezer

Aluminum
Let me start off by saying that I am new to CNC machining, so please forgive me for my newbieness. LOL

Been running manual machines for 30 years, but there are some things with using a CNC machine now, that I have not really had to think about too much before. My work purchased a used DTMG CKE6136i a couple years ago and I have been teaching myself how to use it when I am not busy.

I need to turn some 17-4 PH material, that has been heat treated to condition H1025. What grade of insert should I get and is there a particular chip breaker that works best? My boss will not let me buy all sorts of inserts for a specific operation, so I need an insert that can be used for both semi-roughing and for finishing. This lathe is limited to how many tool holders I can mount at one time, so I am limited to one external turning tool holder. I am also limited to 3500 RPM spindle speed.

I have searched this forum and found that some people like Sandvik 2025, ISCAR IC907, Tungaloy NS530 and Mitsubishi US735, when turning 17-4ph.

I have been using more SECO brand inserts over the years, when working with 304 and 316 stainless in the manual lathe. In particular CP500 grade.

Any other brand and grades I should look at?

I tend to buy inserts off eBay when I can find good prices, as we don't use a lot of them, so if I can save by getting them there versus a dealer, it makes me look good to the bosses. :D

Thanks

In a previous life we used a lot of Tungaloy T9015 in a TM geometry. We turned a fair amount of H1150 and had good results. It’s not the optimal high performance choice, but it’s a very economical choice that definitely out performed more expensive offerings in 4xxx steels which are a similar cutting condition.

If you're going to use Seco, use the TM0501 or TM1501 grade.

Seco does it right when it comes to grades:
First letter (T or M) for turning or milling; second letter (P,K,M,S,N,H) for material,
the numbers are the relative hardness vs. toughness range: 0501 is REALLY hard, 3501 is really tough.
And if the last number is a 1, it's the new silver Duratomic.

I like Ingersoll inserts but their grades list is a train wreck: 5080, 8115, 7100, 3010, 7015, 9215.............

In a previous life we used a lot of Tungaloy T9015 in a TM geometry. We turned a fair amount of H1150 and had good results. It’s not the optimal high performance choice, but it’s a very economical choice that definitely out performed more expensive offerings in 4xxx steels which are a similar cutting condition.

We use T9215 in TM geometry, basically the newest revision of what you used. Performs very well in H1150 and H900.

I don't really recommend stainless geometry inserts for 17-4 unless you're cutting it in the annealed condition. Generally it machines much more like an alloy steel than an austenitic stainless, which most stainless inserts are optimised for.

For Mitsubishi, I do a lot of stainless turning with VP10RT and VP15TF grades. Much lower DOC and higher SFM than what you're likely to be turning, but they work amazing in my application.

I don't really recommend stainless geometry inserts for 17-4 unless you're cutting it in the annealed condition. Generally it machines much more like an alloy steel than an austenitic stainless, which most stainless inserts are optimised for.

^ That.

Once heat treated, 17-4 basically loses all of its "stainlessy" machining properties. And then
should be treated more like a hardened alloy steel. Even in the solution treated condition, its
no where near as bitchy as 304 is.

^ That.

Once heat treated, 17-4 basically loses all of its "stainlessy" machining properties. And then
should be treated more like a hardened alloy steel. Even in the solution treated condition, its
no where near as bitchy as 304 is.

I use the same insert (CNMG) that I use on 4140 pre-hard.

Bill

Back