Best cutting life for cast aluminum tooling plate hogout? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth4 View Post
    I know that this is an old thread but it might be of some value to revive it.....
    I’m machining cast aluminum blanks and just thought I would add this:
    Check the part for residual sand from the casting process.
    I have rough cast blocks I am machining and it has beaten the APKT inserts that I have been using for almost a year.
    The casting have entrained sand from the casting process and I suspect that is what caused the inserts to wear rapidly.

I’m not sure what the best way to get rid of the outside layer of these blocks is.
    Could you hit them with high velocity walnut shell?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have changed most of my hogging to the TAS cutters from lakeshore ,,, I just ran 4k LBS of 6061 chips on a single 1/2" cutter and its still cutting just as good as new ... I like the TAS cutter but have tried there alum 3 flute finishing mills and went right back to YG1 Alu-Power mills ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we used to cut that stuff all the time, we made the tool changers for the old arcoloc's series 10's and 100's. 34" dia 1.5" mic 6 plate with a ton of 4.5" holes in them and c-bores, best tool we found was a 2flute cheap normal carbide endmill then ran one as a rougher. no sence in paying a ton of money for a high dollar endmill that sand is going to eat the crap out of. Always got a great smooth finish about 63 finsh. every once in a while we would find a hollow air pocket.
    if I recall I was running at 6500 rpms doc was over .5 and the withd was around .300 on a 1/2" endmill on my fadals and 8500 for finish tool.

when the finisher got dull we made it a rougher.