What's new
What's new

Best g-code transfer software???!!!!

Tom.

Plastic
I am a programmer at a shop that has programs from the 1990's that they would like to transfer from the old g-code to a modern post, from a machine we no longer own to a newer (completely different format) machine. We sold off our 4 or 5 Cincinnati and we have moved to fanuc controlled machines.

We currently use Kipware CNC Exchange, and it is not really cutting the muster, My plea to y'all is WHAT TRANSFER SOFTWARE RULES THEM ALL? My company really needs this please.......

Tom.

hi / there are CAMs and CNCs and utilities

what you need is a code interpretor - translator, and i doubt that you will find it easy :)

you may build a dictionary and use it, but it may be faster to recreate those programs from zero

by the way, how many programs are there ? do you have CAM files for them ?

start with one program at a time, and develop ... if you are lucky, it may be only a rudimentary find&replace thing :)

hi / there are CAMs and CNCs and utilities

what you need is a code interpretor - translator, and i doubt that you will find it easy :)

you may build a dictionary and use it, but it may be faster to recreate those programs from zero

by the way, how many programs are there ? do you have CAM files for them ?

start with one program at a time, and develop ... if you are lucky, it may be only a rudimentary find&replace thing :)

It could be a very easy task to build a code interpreter if you just want to port the old G-Code to the new machines without making program changes.
I would approach the problem like this:

1) Print out one of the old programs on paper and raid the office supplies cabinet for a few colored highlight pens.
2) Identify tool changes, coord-systems, reference returns and other special commands which may vary from one machine to another and highlight those.
3) Create a step by step logic-procedure on paper (or a white-board) that finds the old syntax, checks it and changes it to work on the new machine.
4) Use the logic-procedure flow from step 3 to create a vb script or Windows Script Host script that will update the old programs.
5) You should have some means of error checking or QC in your scripts. Don't send your operators an unknown that may crash their machines.

A good means of error checking may be simply to perform a dry run, or use some CNC simulation software to vet the programs.

Any scripting language can be used, but VBScript and WSH are built in and simple on the Microsoft OS. If you have Linux, use Python or other.

By transfer, do you mean convert from Cincy language to Fanuc language?
I assume you don't have a cad/cam program to re-write those programs from scratch?

Kitten- Thousands of programs, we are using mastercam for everything programming wise and inventor for our cad needs. The parts that are in question are from the 50s and 60s and do not have solids. These parts are mostly for service work on antiquated products.

cwtoyota- Thank you, I will forward this onto my IT person.

mtndew- that is precisely what I mean, sorry the vernacular got lost on me.

greif1- I will look into this link, Thank you!!!!

Tom.

The parts that are in question are from the 50s and 60s and do not have solids. These parts are mostly for service work on antiquated products.

Okay the product is antiquated, but do you have the original .MCX file for the Cincinnati's? If "Yes", then that is an easy answer, just change Machine definition, Control definition and post file for the Fanuc control, and re-post.

But I suspect you don't, if that is true, you have a long road ahead of you. I looked at the link that Grief1 posted, I don't think that will help you since this is mainly a syntax change G-code to G-code. BUT also a different machine with different needs and defaults.

Realistically, if you don't have the original .MCX files--------You should rewrite them ALL in Mastercam, so you have the file on hand. But if your boss is like mine, that appears to be a lot of time on the computer not making parts. Sucks sometimes. You can get very proficient with G-code and after a while of changing the programs over "manually" one at a time, you will get good, I promise. The biggest problem with that is that those programs will need to be proven out very carefully again and again.

So the choice is manually re-write all the G-code programs, or write new .MCX files.

R

we are using mastercam

hy Tom, far as i know, Mastercam is open-source or something like that, but this would mean that you still have to do most of the work

try to contact Mastercam guys regarding this problem, or contact Artwork Conversion Software, as sugested by greif :)

thus someone that eats things like that every day :) ... try to pass it 1st :) maybe this guys will deliver 90%, and this is still ok ...

... and dont worry, this problem will repeat after 50years :)

I am a programmer at a shop that has programs from the 1990's that they would like to transfer from the old g-code to a modern post, from a machine we no longer own to a newer (completely different format) machine. We sold off our 4 or 5 Cincinnati and we have moved to fanuc controlled machines.

We currently use Kipware CNC Exchange, and it is not really cutting the muster, My plea to y'all is WHAT TRANSFER SOFTWARE RULES THEM ALL? My company really needs this please.......

Tom.

Hello Tom,
PM sent.

Regards,

Bill

Mach- no we haven't done anything yet just putting out fires and transferring manually for now, we do not have any MCX files for these, They are all .tap and .src files. Right now I am shelving the project until we can find a company who specializes in this kind of matter.

Thank You Everyone.

Tom.

until we can find a company who specializes in this kind of matter

cam producers :) i doubt there are companies specialized in this area ...

how many types of old codes do you have ? turning, live axis, 5 axis, etc ... how many types ?

try sharing a code sample for each type ...

also, each type, on how many different controls is it availabe ?

... turning for 50 different lathe controls
... milling 3 axis for 1234 different mill control
... milling 5 axis for 23 different controls, etc

how many different old controls are there ? you need a code mapping for each type of old control, and it would be nice if you would have it :)
something like that :)

Kitten- Thank you, The number of different controller types are numerous, we have had 5-6 different "fanboy leaders" (People who like a certain brand of machine for no particular reason except they have had minor experience with it in the past) Our current president has requested one of us programmers take the lead on bringing our "obsolete" parts into the 21st century. I have only been here for 7 months and I have been here the longest (programmer wise) my previous experience was not nearly this indepth (job shop programmer positions, and then 15 years of machining prior to my 5 years of programming. I am slowly learning how to write posts and other attributes that is involved in our world. So any tips and tricks I can pick up along the way. And if there is any classes (online or brick and mortar) that will also be greatly appreciated.

Tom.

hy / as you said, there are thousands of programs ... but, lets say that tomorrow they will all be converted :) so you worry no more

all those programs, will be all running on the new machines in 1 day ? 1 year ?

those old programs, what is the timelapse that they cover ? 5 years ? 10 years ?

and what is the chance of their repetability ?

dont you think that it would be easier to simply program the parts without messing with the old version ?

what is your opinion ? do you think that this request is needed ? is it justified ? i guess you are aware of the amount of work that it involves ...

onestly, those programs are like a heritage, and something does not sounds well, so to put a 7months guy to convert them .... this has no conection with your experince, but it does not sound well to me :)

are those parts complex ? just take a look with your colegues and take a decision ... try the easy way : keep the drawings and delete the old files :)

So you need a conversion program.
I'd be so tempted to open excel, go into vba and write it.
Do you have a IT person who understands G-code?
Most of it stays as written, only the odds and ends that are not RS-274 need to be changed around.
One can reverse post in M-cam and then post back to your new control type but that is the long way around the block.
Bob

I did find this PM thread from 2006; https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...24673/&usg=AFQjCNFs6IfW9g3tZVDoefWRpBpbWDIQ0A

Not sure about reverse posting with Mcam, maybe Dew knows. I would think that you would need an existing post processor for the machine you are reverse posting from, save toolpath as .MCX, change all the definitions and post processor, and re-post to what you want. Just what I wrote seems like more than it's worth, but?????

Hey guys,
I am a new member but I have been using this site to find my way around CNC's for some time. Anyways, I registered specifically to answer to this thread. I began editing programs last year for the shop and I would get bogged down having to convert an entire family of parts from 1 machine to the next so I started looking for a transfer program. We eventually purchased GCode Chameleon and we have been pretty happy with it ever since. Just thought i'd pass this along since this site has helped me out so much.

Thanks!

I have been using dncsoftware.com software for about 15 years now. inexpensive and reliable!

If the programs were from the 90's, I would re-program all of them and repost as suggested. Cutting technology back then was nothing compared to today, cutters and strategies have changed so drastically you will save time in the long run. "Converting" old outdated programs and re-running them on modern equipment seems a giant dangerous step backwards.

Back