What's new
What's new

Best Mill 5000lbs or less with 5hp head

7sharpshooter

Plastic
I am considering getting an older cnc 5 hp for retrofit but wanted to get input on other machines that fall into the same category. I am making parts in small numbers (steel only) for the hydraulic forging press that I build and sell. I currently have a boss5 linuxcnc 2hp head and am wanting something with more hp and rigidity and I have the skills and time to do a retrofit. Ive seen webbs and hurcos and shizuokas but not sure if one is far better or if I should consider something else

I am considering getting an older cnc 5 hp for retrofit but wanted to get input on other machines that fall into the same category. I am making parts in small numbers (steel only) for the hydraulic forging press that I build and sell. I currently have a boss5 linuxcnc 2hp head and am wanting something with more hp and rigidity and I have the skills and time to do a retrofit. Ive seen webbs and hurcos and shizuokas but not sure if one is far better or if I should consider something else

Get one that you don’t need to retrofit like a haas mini mill.

ditto

if you are having rigidity problems with a rigid ram bridgeport, it may not be the iron.

probably need to look at the spindle you want, probably cat 40

my r2c3 rigid ram kwik switch could probably take a 5hp head, the BTC I had did, and it was the tool holders that let you down.

Shizoka is great iron, and heavy duty for a good candidate for retrofit. Most are already cnc, just a junk control, so retrofit is a lot easier. Usually priced pretty good too.

I would look into a Fadal mill.

I used to own a Boss5 with the same conversion but moved up for a tool changer and enclosure. Miss a few things about the linuxcnc setup like the open nature, custom setups and easy to install 4th and 5th axis but Fadal still works better.

Yes it is a 25 ton, ~2 inches per second, C frame with ~9 inch working throat. I have been developing this press for the last 2 years and will be launching it in the next few weeks. I hired 2 ME's to help me develop the structural side and had to go through 5 different EE's to finally get someone who could come up with the correct hardware setup and write the code for the control system. It is the most advanced controller I have seen on a forging press. +/- 0.002" accuracy and truly awesome features (Im saving the majority of details for the release). One feature that I am most proud of is that this control system will allow persons with physical challenges to enjoy blacksmithing

Having run several different CNC kne mills, bed mills and a couple of Fadals I think the Fadal wins hands down. With an enclosure and a tool changer it will be like you hired a another employee, doing it's work while you do something else. Those savings add up quick and used small Fadals go cheap enough that if your time is worth anything you'll come out ahead.

Back