Best Right Angle Head for everyday use - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

@Perry - reading between in the lines in OP's posts, I *think* OP needs something like an A-axis head with 90° of tilt, which the Centroid spec sheet says it won't do. (Obviously @CutEdge might look at it and think differently.) [@CutEdge says 20hrs a day, and they feed the stock through the windows...]
    The centroid is a B-axis head (kind of a limited one) combined with an A-axis rotary. (At least what I found on their website.)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We're actually grinding, not milling or drilling. Fairly light loads, but grit-filled coolant abounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CutEdge View Post
    We're actually grinding, not milling or drilling. Fairly light loads, but grit-filled coolant abounds.

Get an electric unit from NSK and make your own right angle head. The NSKs need maintenance every now and then, but if you make the unit modular, you just swap a spare NSK into your holder while you send the other out for rebuild. Assuming we're talking small grinding tools... If you're over 1/8" that probably won't work.

4. Likes bryan_machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thread would have been more productive if you had started with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Heck, an NSK planet jig grinding head setup on a right-angle jig would do this. They run off air, which contains the lubricating oil, so I imagine they push the grit away from the sensitive bits.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The grinding jig is a good idea, but it would need to be larger than the NSK ones I'm finding. We have a 3.5" wheel... I guess "light grinding" is a relative term. I have a 5.6kW machine and the spindle load may increase 5% during a given grind. The only way I could use an NSK would be to use a smaller wheel. That's doable, maybe. Something to experiment with, anyway. How much do these NSK's cost?
    Last edited by CutEdge; 05-16-2019 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Originally concerned about the high RPM's, but the surface speed isn't that much higher because of the small tool diameter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The NSK Planet 800 I have is a 3/4 shank head with 1/8 shank tooling capability. Definitely not up to the task of a 3.5" dia grinding wheel. I bought a newsed one from eBay > 10yrs ago for ~$500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The grinding jig is a good idea, but it would need to be larger than the NSK ones I'm finding. We have a 3.5" wheel... I guess "light grinding" is a relative term. I have a 5.6kW machine and the spindle load may increase 5% during a given grind. The only way I could use an NSK would be to use a smaller wheel. That's doable, maybe. Something to experiment with, anyway. How much do these NSK's cost?
    Honestly for the cost one of the cheap chinese spindles might be a great proof of concept, there readily available in the 2-3kw range and that should grind plenty hard with a 3.5" wheel. If that works there plenty of alternatives out there in the same form factor but with quality internals and nice bearings. You could also easily get a lot lot more than your current 6Krpm if your current wheel can use it? If not plated diamond or CBN wheels can be had that can make use of these and more speeds.

Sure the cheapest of cheap Chinese spindles suck, but middle of the road ones are readily available and pretty dang good, especially if you drive them of a decent VFD! There still more than cheap enough to have a spare or 2 sitting on the shelf too, which is always a great idea if your talking custom and high speed spindle in a production environment, because crashes, bearing wear etc only happens on run up to holiday weekends or outside normal office hours!

10. Likes Ox liked this post