What's new
What's new

Best Tool holding for CNC Milling

rokstarr999

Aluminum
Looking for recommendations for tool holders. I was told long ago to avoid using collet holders for endmills so I've always used hard holders with the set screws. These work fine, but when I start using longer endmills I generally have to slow everything down to avoid vibration. Shrink fit holder systems appear to be very pricey. So my question is...What tool holders do you guys prefer?

Thanks in advance

I have some hydraulics I like and stopped my vibration issues, tho not due to long lengths

They are not cheap, but require nothing outside of an allen wrench to use
Have not had any pullout issues

Every type of toolholder has its pros and cons.

ER collet chucks generally aren't the best at any one thing, but are good enough for many things, and have by far the largest selection of ODs, IDs, lengths, collet ranges, and collet types. Don't dismiss ER just because they aren't the best choice for a specific application.

Long endmills chatter more than their shorter counterparts, first and foremost because they're longer. There's no way around that.

Like @gustafson, I'm also a fan of hydraulics. Worth a shot for your application. They provide some damping, but temper your expectations, as they're not going to make a 1/2" long EM (e.g. 2" flute) perform like a standard 1.25" flute.

I use ER for most purposes, and like shrink fit for heavy applications. You don't need an induction machine to get started with them, a MAPP gas torch works just fine. Just spin the holder in your hand for even heat. Maritool sells an affordable, entry level induction machine too.

From what I've heard, hydraulics are great for finishing, but not as good for roughing. Sidelocks, with a Weldon flat on your cutter shank, are great for heavy roughing. Pull on the tool while tightening the set screw to ensure it doesn't move at all in the cut.

you're asking about best holders and in the same sentence complaining about price. you wont get BEST and cheap together.

as some have mentioned, hydraulic holders help absorb some of the vibrations.
shrink are great, so are the rego-fix powergrip. but none of those will be 'cheap'

If you don't mind clocking every single tool holder in the spindle and tapping out the runout on each tool you can get great performance out of ER holders.

Looking for recommendations for tool holders. I was told long ago to avoid using collet holders for endmills so I've always used hard holders with the set screws. These work fine, but when I start using longer endmills I generally have to slow everything down to avoid vibration. Shrink fit holder systems appear to be very pricey. So my question is...What tool holders do you guys prefer?

Thanks in advance

What kind of holders are you looking for/ 40 taper or 50 tapers, cutting steel, aluminum, stainless, plastic etc? What kind of machine are you using them on?

For the vast majority of things collet holders are completely fine. The type and amount of work you typically do should determine the tool holders needed.

As previously mentioned. Longer end mills vibrate more than stubby end mills. As the length to diameter ratio grows, your rigidity drops. There's only so much you can do about that.

^^ What he said. When you need a long reach cuter, putting it in a stubby holder can really help, and sidelocks can get the shortest. Beware of zero length collet holders as they can swell the holder taper.

What kind of holders are you looking for/ 40 taper or 50 tapers, cutting steel, aluminum, stainless, plastic etc? What kind of machine are you using them on?

I've only run Haas. A VF-6 and now a Mini Mill 2. Cat40 with hard holders that use a set screw. All different types of material. Al, Cppr, Stainless, H900 17-4, steel...etc, etc

For the vast majority of things collet holders are completely fine. The type and amount of work you typically do should determine the tool holders needed.

As previously mentioned. Longer end mills vibrate more than stubby end mills. As the length to diameter ratio grows, your rigidity drops. There's only so much you can do about that.

I get the relationship between length and loss of rigidity, but I see these guys on you tube with 3" long tools just hogging material off their stock with n issues. Granted they're running high end machines with all the best holders and running $400 end mills, butI thought I'd check in to see what others prefer.

I have some hydraulics I like and stopped my vibration issues, tho not due to long lengths

They are not cheap, but require nothing outside of an allen wrench to use
Have not had any pullout issues

I have had pull out issues with those hard holders with the coolant vents that allow you to run coolant through on non-coolant through tooling. But only while doing hi feed tricordial cutting. Probably could have avoided that had I of used a tool with a Weldon Shank

Haas had a sale on heat shrinks about 6 months ago, about 100-$105 each. I bought a shitload. Otherwise I use techniks and some big kaiser for heat shrink. For me, shrinks are #1. Hydraulics are nice also but I have cooked the fluid out of 2 now roughing steel dry. More my fault than anything else on that. I have had endmills pull out in a hydraulic but was really getting after it. I have noticed the heat shrinks sound better than hydraulics by upping the rpms 10% from my tried and true speeds and feeds used in hydraulics. Er also work but those would be my last choice. The nice thing about hydraulics is how quick it is to change a tool.. pros and cons for all. Side lock set screw also work. Typically just using those with indexable mills and drills however.

Search some of Titans videos and you will find some. You can also hear the chatter in the background as well. Many of those other videos by other toolmakers have no sound (I wonder why….)

oh for fucks sake... please tell me you're not using titan videos for meaningful advice on machining strategies/parameters...

I use all types of tool holders; shrinks, ERs, side locks, and hydraulics. I am only going to comment on the ERs since I see a lot of people hating on them recently. To begin with, you need to know how to use them. To start, make sure the cutter size is within range of the collet. Don't just slam a cutter in there because you can. Second, the holder and the collect need to be CLEAN, like super CLEAN, whenever a new cutter is inserted. Third, the collet nut should be torqued properly; consult your tooling manufacturer. I have never had any cutter pull from any ER setup regardless of the material or how "hard" I was running. Fourth, you want good finishes? Shorten your cutter/holder OAL when possible. Don't be afraid to run 0.010 or less from the nose of the holder to the top of the stock.

oh for fucks sake... please tell me you're not using titan videos for meaningful advice on machining strategies/parameters...

No…all I said was he has videos with extended length tooling and they chatter. Please reread my original comment if the “for fuck sakes” was directed at me.

We use set screw lock end mill holders, er16 and er32 holders. All CAT40 Pioneer holders.

We do have some SX-16 collet holder which are VERY nice

plus pioneer drill chucks, floating tap holder, rigid tap holder, etc

Back