What's new
What's new

Best Way to Deburr Back Side of 1/8" Hole in 4340???

Nerdlinger

Stainless
Cross drilling an 1/8" hole in 7/8" round 4340 straight down in Z. I spot before drilling so the top side of the hole already has a nice chamfer but the back side is all burry. Should I just use one of those spring-loaded EZBurr, BurrAway, etc. or is there something else that's better??? :scratchchin: Thank you!

Cross drilling an 1/8" hole in 7/8" round 4340 straight down in Z. I spot before drilling so the top side of the hole already has a nice chamfer but the back side is all burry. Should I just use one of those spring-loaded EZBurr, BurrAway, etc. or is there something else that's better??? :scratchchin: Thank you!

Yup. That will work. You will end up with a bit of shape to the back chamfer but it should match the front chamfer.

I am very :skep: about a spring loaded chamfer dooing anything in this app, but if you doo go that route, please report back!.

I would just flip it over and hit it with a 1/4" multi-flute chamfer tool in a cordless drill if it was me.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I use BURR AWAYS all the time...get the ones like this with the blade its stronger...if theres a tall wall I do both sides the BURR AWAY is by far better than the BURR OFF style....I use for inside pipes...I beams...square beams...etc

New-in-tube-cogsdill-burraway-tool-750-type-b-blade-4-photo.jpg

Ez burr has nice options. Harvey has some options too Harvey Tool - Carbide Back Deburring Mill

I might expect a little kaboom if you try to take off a 4340 burr with a Harvey 57110 -- .087" shank, 1" neck length. maybe it'll work a treat :scratchchin:.

I use BurrAways, but one downside to them is you need some room on the backside for the pilot. You can reduce the pilot length, but only to a certain point. Assuming this is a CNC lathe job, you'll need to drill deeper to make room for the pilot.

I'm with Ox --hit it with a countersink in a handheld drill. 5 seconds.

Regards.

Mike

Run it in the 4th axis.. Might be overkill for this particular job, but
I did have a job where I had to drill cross holes through some threads,
deburring 10 or so wasn't bad by hand, but deburring hundreds of threads
by hand, F'that.. Rolled it over and deburred with a sharp endmill.

Those springy deburr tools are awesome, but I'd be a little scared at
that hole size..

As already been said, cordless drill and a countersink.. You can NEVER
have enough cordless drills in the shop.. Ream, Drill, Tap, Chamfer, they
even work in a pinch with some small abrasives if need be.. I'm small time
and I've got at least 6 drills floating around here, they get used constantly.

I've used a pin or drill shank in a vee block on the Bridgeport.
Stick the hole over the pin and chamfer.

Now there is one other option, if you are in a 4th or in a Y axis lathe, and this works especially well on rounds:

You can index to 270* and come in from the side with an endmill. You may need to play with the size of the mill 'till you git what'chew want, but it will de-burr w/o cutting way deep on the apex. It may push some back in the hole tho?

In some applications, it is a good alternative. I guess it would depend on the ratio of the hole and the bar/tube size.

--------------------------

Drainin' the Swamp!
Ox

It turns out we had an 1/8" burr away tool that, so far, has worked great! I perfectly smooth chamfer that didn't do the old, "take one fuzzy 90-degree edge and turn it into two fuzzy 45-degree edges." It's just a matter of life now so we'll see!

Hmmm, I do like solid carbide deburring tools over brushes and spring-loads dealies and i see they have one of those with a 1" neck length....the programming would be more "fun" than a burr away but whatever. I just might give it a try if the burr away doesn't hold up. Thanks!

I am very :skep: about a spring loaded chamfer dooing anything in this app, but if you doo go that route, please report back!.

I would just flip it over and hit it with a 1/4" multi-flute chamfer tool in a cordless drill if it was me.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

In my shop all those off-line secondary ops that, "just takes a second" always adds up to piles of nearly-finished parts that are waiting for that last op so I alway try my darndest to let the machine make it as complete as possible.

Regarding 4th axis. There is a blind hole at 0 degrees then indexes to 90 degrees for the cross hole that goes through. i can't insert to 270 to deburr the backside of the hole that was drilled at A90. because there is another part in the way. At A0. I tried coming up against the back side of the hole with a 3/8 end mill that was alread on the tool list but it looked kinda shitty. Maybe a smaller em would have worked but so far the burr away is working like a champ.

For the record the 1/8" Burr Away has worked beautifully. About 400 pcs in and still going strong. I figured no one here would know what a chamfered edge would look like so I attached a pic and made sure to hold my phone in landscape mode. Thanks for the help!

Chamfer.jpg

Well, I must say - I for one am impressed!

and made sure to hold my phone in landscape mode.

That's impressive too!
Now - any chance you an send any of that my wife's direction?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

glad It worked for ya....another tip with those...I run really slow RPMs and those last a couple of years....I run coolant and dry....as long as its slow it will last doing any material...and on cross holes I rapid to hole...feed down past hole with spindle off...turn on spindle....feed up and back down for chamfer....turn spindle off....feed out to above part...rotate hole 90 or 270 or whatever...repeat....and I do top of hole as well by feeding down once at rapid spot and back up then spindle off feed down....always spindle off when traversing thru holes...only spin on chamfers

Back