What's new
What's new

Big Hot Rolled Bar, not from burnout

StreetSpeed

Hot Rolled
Folks,

I'm trying to find A36 steel, in a 1.25" x 12'' x 12' bar. It seems I can only find this in burnouts from my local supplier. I think the stresses from the burnout will make my finished part (which looks like a banana already) turn into a potato chip. So, does anyone order HR steel in that size from someone who doesn't use a plasma torch? Thanks for your help.

Hot rolled flats are normally going to come in 20's instead of 12's. If you go to Nucor's main site, you can find their hot rolled site from there and it'll tell you if they roll 1 1/4 x 12, what plant they roll it in, and when its scheduled to be rolled again. Prices are there too, and if its the same as it used to be they'll sell direct if you take a 40,000# trailer load.

Oxy acetylene or oxy mapp cut burnouts shouldn't give you any problem. I've got a burning table and have cut a lot of 1 1/4 that I subsequently blanchard ground for shims under the feet of natural gas turbines GE makes. Never had any problem in holding the required flatness of .001 in a foot, and never had to go thru a bunch of flipping the parts to get there like you do if there's much stress in a part. Honestly, a man would have a damn hard time selling me any plasma cut burnouts from heavy plate, particularly if I had any edge work to do on them.

Ryerson has a big burning operation near Nucor's plate mill in eastern NC, and they put out some of the nicest burning work I've seen. All gas burned AFAIK, and definitely so on the 2 1/4 thick burnouts I get from there. If Ryerson is in your area and you don't find another suitable closer source, you might talk to them to see if they'll have the burnouts done there and ship them to you on an interplant transfer or by common carrier.

Back