What's new
What's new

Black tacky resiude from cutting 6061?

Sendit

Aluminum
I've notice a black tacky residue that is accumulating on the way cover closest to the table. Best way to explain it is when you get that gummy glue that is attached to credit cards that come in the mail bit is pretty thin. Curious if RTV was getting broke down by the coolant. Currently using Qualichem 250c, I was using 251c and didn't have this problem. What made me notice it with 250c, were smaller chips sticking to the waycovers

coolant is at 7% when tank is 100% filled.

I’ve seen machines that got a sticky buildup due to a small leak in the hydraulic system. The oil reacted with some component of the coolant which resulted in the goo.

Is it a newer haas? We are dealing with a corrosion nightmare with our "galvanneal" way covers. They changed the material sometime in the past two years. It is making everything very sticky and gooey, it has to do with the water / coolant reacting with the zinc in the system.

I think its from the coolant vaporizing and the water is evaporated from it, leaving behind some stripped coolant. I get the same thing on my machine. It is old coolant at this point, blaser.

Is it a newer haas? We are dealing with a corrosion nightmare with our "galvanneal" way covers. They changed the material sometime in the past two years. It is making everything very sticky and gooey, it has to do with the water / coolant reacting with the zinc in the system.

If you're still stuck get the coolant analyzed for compounds that can attack aluminum. That includes sulfur, which can leave a black residue.

Oh I'm aware of Haas poor decision to go with that new material. It's chemical in the coolant and water (tap). I think I figured out why. But this new problem came up

It's just 6061 t6, not hydraulic fluid in the system. I only notice it when I swapped from 251 to 250. Rep doesn't know

Pretty much happen right away or at least that is when I notice it.

Here is a quick video.

https://youtu.be/SYOkSavRNdY

You blow your machine down when you're done for the day? Use any other lubricants? I.e. WD-40, tapping fluid, etc.? Looks like dried tramp oil/scum to me. I dunno. Hope you get it figured out.

You blow your machine down when you're done for the day? Use any other lubricants? I.e. WD-40, tapping fluid, etc.? Looks like dried tramp oil/scum to me. I dunno. Hope you get it figured out.

I wash the chips down in to the auger with the wash down hose and use the air gun to blow off the way covers.

When I originally cleaned the way cover, I applied WD40 before going at it with scrotchbrite pad, but made sure to wipe it all off.

The stickiness and how it smears makes me think, could it be the rtv breaking down? Don’t see anything in the coolant or nexjen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got a coolant sample analysed? Did you include some of the actual black residue?

Just send coolant sample to water test company down the road just for sulfer (free). Sending some samples of coolant/water/residue to qualichem

Back