What's new
What's new

Blaser Synergy 735 and Rust

Are you happy with your current coolant?

• Yep

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitaluddite

Plastic
Thinking of switching to Blaser Synergy 735? Here is my experience in case it helps you decide.

5/14/2019 - Added 5 gallons Blasorun to Haas VF1 & Mazak Integrex i100s to help clean out the Blasocut 35 SW that we have been using for a few years.

5/20/2019 - Emptied Haas of Blasocut BC35-SW, cleaned, filled with diluted 735 & flushed lines (even replaced 2 main lines) and then filled with 6% 735

6/3/2019 - First noticed what I thought was yellow staining on the vises in the Haas. From this point forward, the Mazak (strangely) never had any issues. All of the issues were in the Haas.

View attachment 265016

6/4/2019 - I called and sent pictures to my Blaser rep

6/5/2019 - 3 reps from Blaser / local distributer visit. Suggest coating trouble spots with “Tool & Die Saver” and increasing to 8%. We do so.

6/10/2019 - After only 5 days of machining and even though it was sprayed with Tool & Die Saver, we find undeniable, extensive corrosion.

View attachment 265017

6/11/20109 - “Unacceptable rust” email sent to Blaser rep w/ pictures. I stated "You mentioned when you were here that the formulation for 735 has changed to be more rust preventative. We would like you to provide either an additive to make our 50 gallon drum more rust preventative or we would like the drum replaced with an new drum with the new formula that is more rust preventative.”

6/14/2019 - After a phone call with Blaser rep, I decide to dump the coolant in the Haas, clean again, flush again and fill with 8% 735. This wasn't a Blaser recommendation, it was my own decision to try and rule out any residual BC35 SW causing problems. Sump & machine were spotless both times.

6/17/2019 - Blaser rep (finally) takes sample of old coolant & DI water.

6/27/2019 - Lab results back from Blaser. No explanation. Nothing outside of their predetermined ranges. No suggestions.

7/2/2019 - Additional rust pictures sent. Rust spots on exposed bed. Some rust found on O1 tool steel parts that came out of machine and sat in tray. No rinsing or cleaning of any sort.

IMG_4593.jpegIMG_4315.jpeg

7/7/2019 - In desperation, we bolt a stack of zinc plates to the bed of the machine, hoping that it will act as an anode and help prevent rust.

7/9/2019 - 3 Blaser reps visit again but have no suggestions other than to check grounding and increase to 10%. We increase to 10% immediately. Later, after Googling around, I find the PDF that you will be giving a talk on "Synthetic coolants and corrosion – physics or chemistry?” The .pdf, in my opinion, confirms my belief that they are well aware that they have a corrosion issue. I reach out via LinkedIn to the person mentioned in the .pdf since that is the only way I could find them. You can find the .pdf here: https://mup.vdma.org/documents/1059...9_en.pdf/cc4ed95b-7d21-2440-4fb7-4b75c75cfcfd

7/10/2019 - Find that parts machined overnight rusted in the machine. These parts had nothing else done to them other than get cut in one vise and transferred to a second vise, machined and then sat overnight. Rust formed in under hanging features of the part.

7/11/2019 - Notice that some toolholders have black staining where the fingers of the carousel hold them.

View attachment 265018

7/12/2019 - Electrician tests ground. He says the ground is fine. If Blaser had actually told me what specifics to test for, I could have had more refined tests done. Never got any further explanation from Blaser about how the ground could be at fault.

7/26/2019 - Still experiencing excessing yellow staining. Rust seems to be less each time we tear down the vises - about every few days now. However, with BC35, we could go months without tearing down. BC35 never stained. I’d rather not waste all this labor trying to control rust.

I asked "I know the formulation has changed. It was either to prevent rust or yellow staining/buildup. I would like explanation of what was changed." but did not get a response to that question.

8/5/2019 We finally gave up and switched back to BC35 SW.

If Blaser is aware of this issue, why did we have to deal with it for two months without resolution? Blaser never had any specific tests that can be done. Blaser did not have additives for the issue.

So, how was the Synergy 735? Well, we stuck with it for so long because, other than the very serious and inexcusable corrosion issue, we really liked the coolant. They tend to emphasize the clear / visibility benefits, but 99% of the time, no one looks at their machine running. What mattered to us was that after an 8 hour shift of loading and unloading parts, the operator does not feel like they are coated in a fine layer of oil like most coolant do. The 735 feels cleaner. Does it perform better? I have no idea, we don't have performance concerns with any coolant. To us, a coolant should #1 DO NO HARM (to machines or operators) #2 Be easy to maintain #3 Wash the chips away and lubricate the tool.

Blaser knows they have a corrosion issue. I follow quite a few Instagram machininsts that have had similar problems. Blaser either does not know what is causing the problem or my 2 machine shop is just too small to give a shit. I stuck with Blaser because in the past I've had problems with Hangsterfers and Oemeta. This BC35 SW works and I don't have to think about it. So there you go, one shop's experience. If you do decide to go with Synergy 735, just make sure you have a "properly grounded" machine, that you coat everything in Tool & Die Saver and you disassemble and clean all fixturing twice a week and you should be good to go.

Thinking of switching to Blaser Synergy 735? Here is my experience in case it helps you decide.

5/14/2019 - Added 5 gallons Blasorun to Haas VF1 & Mazak Integrex i100s to help clean out the Blasocut 35 SW that we have been using for a few years.

5/20/2019 - Emptied Haas of Blasocut BC35-SW, cleaned, filled with diluted 735 & flushed lines (even replaced 2 main lines) and then filled with 6% 735

6/3/2019 - First noticed what I thought was yellow staining on the vises in the Haas. From this point forward, the Mazak (strangely) never had any issues. All of the issues were in the Haas.

View attachment 265016

6/5/2019 - 3 reps from Blaser / local distributer visit. Suggest coating trouble spots with “Tool & Die Saver” and increasing to 8%. We do so.

6/10/2019 - After only 5 days of machining and even though it was sprayed with Tool & Die Saver, we find undeniable, extensive corrosion.

View attachment 265017

6/11/20109 - “Unacceptable rust” email sent to Blaser rep w/ pictures. I stated "You mentioned when you were here that the formulation for 735 has changed to be more rust preventative. We would like you to provide either an additive to make our 50 gallon drum more rust preventative or we would like the drum replaced with an new drum with the new formula that is more rust preventative.”

6/14/2019 - After a phone call with Blaser rep, I decide to dump the coolant in the Haas, clean again, flush again and fill with 8% 735. This wasn't a Blaser recommendation, it was my own decision to try and rule out any residual BC35 SW causing problems. Sump & machine were spotless both times.

6/27/2019 - Lab results back from Blaser. No explanation. Nothing outside of their predetermined ranges. No suggestions.

7/2/2019 - Additional rust pictures sent. Rust spots on exposed bed. Some rust found on O1 tool steel parts that came out of machine and sat in tray. No rinsing or cleaning of any sort.

7/7/2019 - In desperation, we bolt a stack of zinc plates to the bed of the machine, hoping that it will act as an anode and help prevent rust.

7/9/2019 - 3 Blaser reps visit again but have no suggestions other than to check grounding and increase to 10%. We increase to 10% immediately. Later, after Googling around, I find the PDF that you will be giving a talk on "Synthetic coolants and corrosion – physics or chemistry?” The .pdf, in my opinion, confirms my belief that they are well aware that they have a corrosion issue. I reach out via LinkedIn to the person mentioned in the .pdf since that is the only way I could find them. You can find the .pdf here: https://mup.vdma.org/documents/1059...9_en.pdf/cc4ed95b-7d21-2440-4fb7-4b75c75cfcfd

7/10/2019 - Find that parts machined overnight rusted in the machine. These parts had nothing else done to them other than get cut in one vise and transferred to a second vise, machined and then sat overnight. Rust formed in under hanging features of the part.

7/11/2019 - Notice that some toolholders have black staining where the fingers of the carousel hold them.

View attachment 265018

7/12/2019 - Electrician tests ground. He says the ground is fine. If Blaser had actually told me what specifics to test for, I could have had more refined tests done. Never got any further explanation from Blaser about how the ground could be at fault.

7/26/2019 - Still experiencing excessing yellow staining. Rust seems to be less each time we tear down the vises - about every few days now. However, with BC35, we could go months without tearing down. BC35 never stained. I’d rather not waste all this labor trying to control rust.

I asked "I know the formulation has changed. It was either to prevent rust or yellow staining/buildup. I would like explanation of what was changed." but did not get a response to that question.

If Blaser is aware of this issue, why did we have to deal with it for two months without resolution? Blaser never had any specific tests that can be done. Blaser did not have additives for the issue.

So, how was the Synergy 735? Well, we stuck with it for so long because, other than the very serious and inexcusable corrosion issue, we really liked the coolant. They tend to emphasize the clear / visibility benefits, but 99% of the time, no one looks at their machine running. What mattered to us was that after an 8 hour shift of loading and unloading parts, the operator does not feel like they are coated in a fine layer of oil like most coolant do. The 735 feels cleaner. Does it perform better? I have no idea, we don't have performance concerns with any coolant. To us, a coolant should #1 DO NO HARM (to machines or operators) #2 Be easy to maintain #3 Wash the chips away and lubricate the tool.

Blaser knows they have a corrosion issue. I follow quite a few Instagram machininsts that have had similar problems. Blaser either does not know what is causing the problem or my 2 machine shop is just too small to give a shit. I stuck with Blaser because in the past I've had problems with Hangsterfers and Oemeta. This BC35 SW works and I don't have to think about it. So there you go, one shop's experience. If you do decide to go with Synergy 735, just make sure you have a "properly grounded" machine, that you coat everything in Tool & Die Saver and you disassemble and clean all fixturing twice a week and you should be good to go.

Listen I used to be an archeological conservator and materials scientists and later did modern materials and metals etc. for the Smithsonian's National Air and space Museum and other entities privately.

So polymers and corrosion testing and simulation + analysis of all other material and environmental factors was my day job. [basically an expert on "Glue 'n Rust" in simple terms) ).

At some time (time willing and permitting) I'll do a deep dive , or dig in on some of the information / data and anecdotal evidence you have presented here.

At some point it would be possible to carry out specific testing and to prove out (over time) this or that assertion under controlled experimental conditions if this is a distinct and real concern.

I have shifted careers for about 30 years, and now I design three dimensional imaging systems and software + optical systems lol.
But I still keep an hand in the conservation and materials science front.

Meanwhile …

Here's Titan (Gilroy) and EMO 2019 … Do they also sell life sized Titan cardboard cut-outs ?

@digitalludite sometimes the galvanic circuit can be somewhat counter intuitive as to what becomes anodic versus cathodic in a given system especially with varying oxygen environments (anaerobic vs aerobic) and different organics with varying acidities etc. and associated decay products + metal catalysis + different concentrations of chloride ions floating about.

Warrants careful study and separation of all these effects , however with chemical analysis the smoking gun / likely culprits can be found in pretty quickly in most cases.

Also NICE use of the "Poll " interface / capability !

Does your Haas have a ground cable drilled into floor?
Are there significant mixes of metals in coolant? aluminum sub-plate with iron vice? Galvanic corrosion is a thing. haas' sumps are notorious for collecting chips. that could be 100% of the problem

I generally have a problem with a person calling out a particular outfit when their problem spans multiple products. So i have a problem with your title.

edit: i've got 735 in a million dollar 5axis with some rust on the table.

the toolholder thing is clearly galvanic and because Haas machine design is shit. aluminum pot metal in contact with the holder taper. Idiots.

I run a full synthetic with virtually no rust issues, only some staining between the vise and table after several months. I have no special grounding or anything else to avoid rust. Coolant is at 6-7%, RO because I am on a well, and the minor residue from dried coolant washes right off. The only long term aluminum to cast iron contact is soft jaws on my vise but no evidence of a problem there after a month or so. Sounds like Blaser needs to do some more development work.

View attachment 265016

View attachment 265017

View attachment 265018

Ok looking at the immediate photos and time frame and morphology of the corrosion ~ very pronounced nucleated pitting.

My first thought is that you have interstitial chloride ions causing extremely rapid pitting type corrosion.

Chloride ions are extremely small and have a very high charge density -ve, which means they can easily become absorbed into the metallic structure and matrix of a metal / alloy. If a surface is polished and surface treated that offers some resistance but a more porous structure will essentially load up on chloride ions. These chloride ions in solution, if the solution / water is allowed to evaporate (like dry out over night) the acids formed in the corrosion pits become very very much more acidic to the point of being very extreme. This concertation of chloride ions causes IRON ions to go into solution at an accelated rate. The process is essentially auto-catalytic, gets worse and worse and worse.

These corrosion sites can nucleate further pitting and corrosion as the ferrous dissociated ions creates essentially a very acidic solution at every corrosion pit dissociating more and more metal very rapidly.

One possibility tis that the BC35 SW had something that was able to buffer and wash and complex with these Iron ions in solution, like EDTA type chelation approach. However I don't think they would have the ability to remove chlorides from metals (The only way I am aware of is continuous washing in copious amounts of distilled water over a period of WEEKS to MONTHS ! _ ~ I might see if there is some other chloride busting approach that has emerged these past few years BUT it's an extremely high charge density "Electronegative" little "Bugger" that can get into anything especially metals.

I suspect the BC35 SW had a chelating and buffering agent + had better ability to remove chloride ions (perhaps) and with the NEW Synergy 735 that chelating agent may be absent and the interstitially bound chloride ions are running amok.

It may be that the MAZAK I-100 has lower porosity castings etc. and surfaces that resist interstitial permeation of chloride ions in solution. Maybe more of the MAZAK's castings are thickly painted with epoxy paint etc. + stainless steel surfaces and contact with a small chuck rather than a LARGE old school "Iron" table and other surfaces like on the HAAS.

It also fits that over time this is going down as your trapped ferrous acids and chloride ions are slowly being washed away...

________________________________________________________________________________

Without knowing all the chemical ingredients of BC35 vs Blaser 735 and examining and inspecting critical surfaces first hand on I-100 vs HAAS … That's my best guess from experience and the LOOK of the corrosion products.

That's an initial "Hunch" / impression.

The only other situation I have seen like that is use of organic acids … Which one would never bring into contact with metals anyway ?

Disgruntled employee poured 3 KGs of table salt into your machine ?

Seems like you are going to have to wash and rinse stuff a lot and not let it dry out over night if one was previously using BC35 SW in a HAAS perhaps ?

Also @Digitalluddite if you are using bromine based / bromated type compounds , that Bromide ION acts in a reasonably similar manner to Chlorides with metals... (Different halide ).

There are some cutting fluids and other industrial compounds that are "Bromated" …

NACE International. Corrosion of Stainless Steels and Titanium in Bromide-Containing Solutions

^^^ See if this rings a bell for anything else you might be using to get chlorides and or Bromides into your machine in the first place ?

Worth ruling out / checking into .

We bought about 10 new Haas's about 3 years ago and had rust issues. The tech said it's your coolant concentration (pink cimcool), the older Haas we have didn't show the problems or any other machines in the shop, 2 fadals and 3 lathes.
The newer Haas's had some purple oil/grease mix that made me wonder if something in that could have been the issue. The older Haas they just use some red grease instead and said they haven't had rust issues with those 2.
So I'm curios to know what lube your using?

This sounds very familiar to me.
The tool shops I worked for in the big city used to just mix coolant with city water, then all of a sudden it was like the coolant mfg changed the recipe and everything started to rust like a bastard.

Im no scientist, but I tried telling them it was the chlorine in the water... wouldnt listen.

I pay $40 for a 55 gallon drum of steam distilled DI water for mixing coolant.
I run syntillo 9954 (all you guys hate on it)
No rust, no peeling paint, and no asthma attacks in the shop.

Last job they used blasocut. I HATED that stinky slimy shit. AND I managed to develop a respiratory sensitivity to it. Was using a rescue puffer sometimes twice a day.
Whatever was in that shit would pass right through the mist collectors and get blown all through the shop.
They come test it and "oh yeah, theres nothing wrong, just up your concentration (so we can sell you more)"

Coolant salespeople cant be the slimiest pricks on the planet, though 1 guy I knew actually tried and would listen to my reasoning.

What kind of water are you using??

Does your Haas have a ground cable drilled into floor?
Are there significant mixes of metals in coolant? aluminum sub-plate with iron vice? Galvanic corrosion is a thing. haas' sumps are notorious for collecting chips. that could be 100% of the problem

I generally have a problem with a person calling out a particular outfit when their problem spans multiple products. So i have a problem with your title.

edit: i've got 735 in a million dollar 5axis with some rust on the table.

100% O1 tool steel chips. No aluminum sub plate. Sump was 100% chip free to start and we have a magnetic filter in the outflow and a mesh filter after that. Very few chips get through. I totally understand you questioning me having problems with multiple products. To elaborate more: We ran Hangsterfers for years and the major issue was buildup of a brown film on the machine that was very hard to clean off. Perhaps could have found a better way of managing it. We tried oil skimmers and bag filters. Next was Oemeta. we only tried them for a few months. Was a very similar situation to the 735 but ended up having a legitimate explanation. We were sold coolant that was expired. No expiration date was on the drum, the salesman / expert didn't even realize until weeks later. The only indication was that the artwork changed. As far as BC35 SW, it works. No real complaints. Just thought 735 would be better.

This sounds very familiar to me.
The tool shops I worked for in the big city used to just mix coolant with city water, then all of a sudden it was like the coolant mfg changed the recipe and everything started to rust like a bastard.

Im no scientist, but I tried telling them it was the chlorine in the water... wouldnt listen.

I pay $40 for a 55 gallon drum of steam distilled DI water for mixing coolant.
I run syntillo 9954 (all you guys hate on it)
No rust, no peeling paint, and no asthma attacks in the shop.

Last job they used blasocut. I HATED that stinky slimy shit. AND I managed to develop a respiratory sensitivity to it. Was using a rescue puffer sometimes twice a day.
Whatever was in that shit would pass right through the mist collectors and get blown all through the shop.
They come test it and "oh yeah, theres nothing wrong, just up your concentration (so we can sell you more)"

Coolant salespeople cant be the slimiest pricks on the planet, though 1 guy I knew actually tried and would listen to my reasoning.

What kind of water are you using??

Our water is deionized with an Ebbco filter. I'll probably learn now that this isn't good enough and the not all DI water is created equal. We also had respiratory problems with Blasocut. We managed to get a mist collection system that does a good job but in the few weeks we've been back on Blasocut, my chest does feel a bit heavier. Ugh. And you are absolutely correct: Coolant salespeople leave much to be desired. I gave them 2 months to fix what was obviously a problem with THEIR product and they were useless.

Pretty sure it wouldn't cause the problems that you're having but did you empty out the coolant that remains in the head of the Haas?
There are a few liters, maybe more depending on the size of the machine, that can contaminate new coolant. There's a pipe plug on the bottom side of the casting, not far from the spindle, that allows you to drain it out.

Our water is deionized with an Ebbco filter. I'll probably learn now that this isn't good enough and the not all DI water is created equal. We also had respiratory problems with Blasocut. We managed to get a mist collection system that does a good job but in the few weeks we've been back on Blasocut, my chest does feel a bit heavier. Ugh. And you are absolutely correct: Coolant salespeople leave much to be desired. I gave them 2 months to fix what was obviously a problem with THEIR product and they were useless.

DI is all fine and well, but the most important factors to coolant longevity is TDS (total dissolved solids) levels and PH.
Youll also want to be checking for things like chlorine or flourides if youre on city water.

My well water here is unbelievable hard with naturally occuring flourine. So I pay to have steam distilled DI trucked in.
Its worth every penny to me.

So many threads I have read on here about coolant... it scares me. Do you guys in the USA drink your tap water?

Only issues I get are guys throwing concentrate in before water and tramp oil. We even eyeball the % and don't have issues. I struggle with an allergic reaction to most coolants on my forearms, but coolant lasts here for crazy long opposed to what I have read on this site.

Have had issues with a Takisawa with a tank within the machine, but other than that not too many problems.

Are you guys sure that you are not getting employees spitting/urinating/washing their feet in your coolant?

Also as a side note, coolant evaporates, how often do you guys top up? I have to every other day and I don't run ALL my machines often.

I use a local brand that has not let me down. Blaser tried to convince me a few years back that their product was better, and wouldn't give me a rash. They even had a rep out here from Switzerland to try feel what the South African market would be like... Tried it out and it gave me spots all over my arms.

Perhaps the South Africans have got it right with general purpose soluble oils.

The city water supply has much to do with it. One shop I was in, the water was so hard, we called it "rock juice" - the coolants were constantly going bad, sumps always had to be cleaned, even the pumps and motors would go bad from it.

Other place, had filters and a softener. Coolant ran forever.

Back