What's new
What's new

Block Delete usage

beege

Stainless
Hi All,

Wondering...

What common uses do you employ for the block delete function?

What "clever" uses?

Has anyone added block delete switches to their machines? (/2, /3, etc...)

We have 9 block deletes on our Toshiba HBMs.

We use them for proving program movement and depths when using hand programmed subs or milling macros.

Or during probing cycles to replace long distance retracts when they are unnecessary.

sometimes we run multiple parts at a time. Usually the simplest way is to program subroutines, and each part location has a separate work offset, G54, G55 etc.

Sometimes you only want to run one part, so I use block delete to skip over all but the G54 part.

hello beege, i use /custom on both lathe and mill, during a drilling operation, so to increase the clearance between the drill and the part, to clean the chips

normally i use 2-2.5mm clearance on lathe, and 3-5mm on mill, but when i push /, the drill raises at a signifiant distance and stops, allowing the operator to clean it

it comes in handy when crafting uniques, or when crafting series and the material is not homogenuous, thus there is not possible to predict when the tool should be cleaned

an alternative to this would be to reduce the peek distance, so to increase the number of cutting interruptions, but this means also shorter tool life and increased cycle time

requires buffer prohibit codes, etc

have a good day :)

hello beege, i use /custom on both lathe and mill, during a drilling operation, so to increase the clearance between the drill and the part, to clean the chips

normally i use 2-2.5mm clearance on lathe, and 3-5mm on mill, but when i push /, the drill raises at a signifiant distance and stops, allowing the operator to clean it

it comes in handy when crafting uniques, or when crafting series and the material is not homogenuous, thus there is not possible to predict when the tool should be cleaned

an alternative to this would be to reduce the peek distance, so to increase the number of cutting interruptions, but this means also shorter tool life and increased cycle time

requires buffer prohibit codes, etc

have a good day :)

:skep: NOTED

We use :

/M38
M30

as the last two lines of all our lathe programs. If the Block Delete button is not pressed, the program rewinds and starts again. If the button is pressed, the M38 is skipped and the machine stops after the part is completed. It's an easy way to keep making the same part over or ending the program at the end of the day. No idea if this is standard practice or not (learned on the job).

I've seen similar, using /M99; M30 to stop a repeating program.
We use :

/M38
M30

as the last two lines of all our lathe programs. If the Block Delete button is not pressed, the program rewinds and starts again. If the button is pressed, the M38 is skipped and the machine stops after the part is completed. It's an easy way to keep making the same part over or ending the program at the end of the day. No idea if this is standard practice or not (learned on the job).

Our bar pusher routine at the beginning of a bar program uses /2 to skip or run a subprogram for advancing a new stick and performing a top cut (last line below). Now, our lathe has no /2 on the panel; I'm ass-uming that the bar pusher sends this signal to the control when it's still got material, thus skipping the bar advance and top cut. When it's out of material, again, I am ass-uming this signal gets turned off and the subprogram runs.

N10 G00 G20 G40 G80
N20 G59 G28 B0
#100 = .75 ( X CLEARANCE DIAMETER FOR TOP CUT )
#101 = .02 ( Z POSITION FOR TOP CUT )
#102 = 0. ( X END DIAMETER FOR TOP CUT )
#103 = .003 ( FEED RATE FOR TOP CUT )
#104 = 600 ( SPINDLE SPEED FOR TOP CUT )
/2 M98 P1244

My most common use is to make variations of my parts. Some parts are identical except for drilling. / on makes a drilled part, / off makes a blank part. Another is a LH and RH part where the RH is tapped and the LH is clearance drilled. Same program makes both depending on /.

Also on our older machines for one offs

We have a drilling/chamfer/tap program

/G81 Z- R F L0
/G83 Z- R Q F L0
/G73 Z- R Q F L0
/G84 Z- R Q E L0
/G130 Z- R D K

/M98P#4000Q1000
/M98P#4000Q2000

Then just remove the slash from the type of cycle and which subroutine we want.

Makes doing a quick drill tap or spin program quick to belt out on the fly.

We used to have /2 /3 switches on our double columns. I can't honestly remember what I used them for... But they were handy and I wish I had them now for turning off operations and such. Say you have two op 10's and two op 20's, and you want to skip one or more of the pockets. You could used the switches and bitwise operators to safely skip "pockets".

Hi All,

Wondering...

What common uses do you employ for the block delete function?

What "clever" uses?

Has anyone added block delete switches to their machines? (/2, /3, etc...)
block delete used for

1) turn coolant on or have it stay off

2) break tap you might want to restart tap operation avoiding holes already tapped. same with breaking drill and restart where drill broke

3)long tool you do not want to load by tool changer cause it will work on bigger machine but long tool on smaller machine will break trying to go through tool changer door. so block delete used so you can manually load tool
4) loop cycle where logic goes back to beginning of op and by using loop counter adjusts the Z amount on next loop. used to add a Z+.001 precut before the next loop with normal finish cut Z and by manual restart to beginning of loop and turning on block delete the logic preventing Z- (setting Z modify to zero)is not turned on and the next loop will cut Z-.001
.....loop cycle its easy to add as many extra Z+ precuts before final finish cut as you want and you can specify the Z modify amount. for example add a Z+.001 precut or add 2 extra Z+.001 precuts (cuts Z+.002 then next loop Z+.001 then final pass is normal Z depth)
conditional logic can do many things but often not used cause many operators cannot understand logic. often spend more time with adding comments explaining logic than actual logic needed)

Some of our machines have all sorts of probing routines and macros to inspect the parts, change tools if the wear offset has exceeded some amount, etc. All that stuff ends up causing problems in certain circumstances so I put block skips in front in case I just want to run the machining cycle and be done with it. Also, M8.

another way that i used / was for custom combinations

when there are too many combinations, i simply write specific content :
- 0000 : means that all 4 operations will be executed in their default state
- 0302 : means that only 1st and 3rd operation will be executed in their default state, while 2nd operation will be executed in variant 3, and 4th operation will be executed in variant 2; depends

by pressing / i toogle between normal method and custom method, and entire program is recreated as desired

after a while i stopped using /, thus i stopped activating such behaviours from the control panel buttons, because too many keystrokes were required ( is faster to click a mouse or the touchscreen , than to press a key on the keyboard ); also, if control panel buttons are no longer required, than we can talk about remote control

in this way, the way a program performs is changed dynamically, without the need to write in advance a number of iterations, so to choose later from them :)

another way that i used / was for custom combinations

when there are too many combinations, i simply write specific content :
- 0000 : means that all 4 operations will be executed in their default state
- 0302 : means that only 1st and 3rd operation will be executed in their default state, while 2nd operation will be executed in variant 3, and 4th operation will be executed in variant 2; depends

by pressing / i toogle between normal method and custom method, and entire program is recreated as desired

after a while i stopped using /, thus i stopped activating such behaviours from the control panel buttons, because too many keystrokes were required ( is faster to click a mouse or the touchscreen , than to press a key on the keyboard ); also, if control panel buttons are no longer required, than we can talk about remote control

in this way, the way a program performs is changed dynamically, without the need to write in advance a number of iterations, so to choose later from them :)

If when so wrong maybe if some righteousness may impede the leftover mashed potato, or sausage. Some when are tying horse matter to witherstick my shoe will fall off. Technically supporting some lithograph nomenclature or afoul smut grabbing is cumbersome. Think theoretical approach swinging in and out of tangency and hypotenuse.

KINDLY

On my Mazak Mills I use it to create a menu for the operator to run different programs.

O1001()
(**TURN ON BLOCK SKIP FOR PART YOU DONOT WANT TO RUN**)
M71(CHANGE TO PALLET 1)
/2 M98P4250(PLATES AND ADJUSTERS)
M9
/3 M98P3520002(PLATES ONLY)
M9
/4 M98P3520101(ADJUSTERS ONLY)
M9
(#540=PLATES #541=ADJUSTERS)
M1
M72(CHANGE TO PALLET #2)
/5 M98P2268(FACE)
M9
/6 M98P3808(MACHINE 8INCH)
/7 M98P3809(MACHINE 10INCH)
/8 M98P50971(MACHINE 8INCH 2.5")
(***********************************)
(NOTE: YOU MUST RUN FACE MILL BEFORE ENGRAVING)
(***********************************)
/9 M98P5200(ENGRAVE THE)
M9
(#542=PINBLOCKS)
M71
M1
/M99
M30
%

Last edited:

Back