What's new
What's new

BMT65 Live and Static Holder Options

sirAIG

Aluminum
I'm looking for suggestions on manufacturers/tooling options for a new live tool lathe w/ BMT65 turret. Lyndex Nikkon has been recommended. I know little to nothing of live tool holders. Looking for the best clearance possible as we will initially being doing a good bit of smaller parts. Open to suggestions on where I can learn more and who I need to talk to. Thanks!

I'm looking for suggestions on manufacturers/tooling options for a new live tool lathe w/ BMT65 turret. Lyndex Nikkon has been recommended. I know little to nothing of live tool holders. Looking for the best clearance possible as we will initially being doing a good bit of smaller parts. Open to suggestions on where I can learn more and who I need to talk to. Thanks!

If lived in the US I would prob check these out - made in the USA. No idea about the quality, but would guess it's top notch.
VDI40 and BMT65 Live Tools | Dynamic Tools - Page 1

In hindsight, for radial live tools I would have chosen at least one double holder, or at least something that is offset closer towards chuck. When doing radial work I find my collet nut or holder being a collision limitation with chuck jaws. If tool was offset then it would be ace.
Think quite a few make these "double ones".

I attached a picture of an adjustable one that I bought some time back. It's an ER25, but seems sturdy enough. +-90deg adjustment on the fly with a DRO on the holder.
Very useful indeeed if you need an extra radial or axial holder for a job. Or something inbetween, as it's designed to be. No IC though. Manufacturer is MT.

My ordinary live tool holders are Kintek and they seem to hold up well. Very little runout. I mill & drill quite a lot of 316 and Duplex, but not continuously. (Average 1 hours use per day?). We don't machine for a living - we design and make our own products as required.

Attachments

• IMG_20201020_101041.jpg
    IMG_20201020_101041.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20201020_101033.jpg
    IMG_20201020_101033.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20201020_101053.jpg
    IMG_20201020_101053.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 93
Benz, Kintek, WTO and MT are the serious ones I'm aware of.
Seen a few cheaper options, but prob not worth risking it.
WTO has a nice quick change system BTW.

As far as live tools, I like WTO. They have a one-hand wrench system that makes changing tools out at least bearable.

For static, Command Tool makes quite nice units. I dunno if Global CNC makes BMT holders but their bolt-on blocks are great.

Back