What's new
What's new

Converting my brain from Fanuc mill, to Okuma? G&M code

huleo

Hot Rolled
Looking at getting an Okuma. All other machines are Fanuc coded. What types of differences/advantages/disadvantages am I look at?

Here is a short list of things to understand
1. What parts of the G&M code are the same and different?
2. block delete? We use internal subroutines a lot, and use block delete if we need to exclude an offset at times.

I know most users of Okuma say "if you use it, you will like it" but I just need to get in the camp of understanding the codes and differences.

Years ago we had a Dynapath. Totally different jargin but had no problem adapting to it. Actually pretty streamlined and simple code, using more canned cycles than fanuc. All pretty similar though.

Looking at getting an Okuma. All other machines are Fanuc coded. What types of differences/advantages/disadvantages am I look at?

Here is a short list of things to understand
1. What parts of the G&M code are the same and different?
2. block delete? We use internal subroutines a lot, and use block delete if we need to exclude an offset at times.

I know most users of Okuma say "if you use it, you will like it" but I just need to get in the camp of understanding the codes and differences.

Years ago we had a Dynapath. Totally different jargin but had no problem adapting to it. Actually pretty streamlined and simple code, using more canned cycles than fanuc. All pretty similar though.

They are very similar with G codes.
M codes are usually different from MTB to MTB.
Yes it has a block delete /
Work offset is G15H1 (use 1-199) instead of Fanuc G54,G55,G56 etc..
Tool length offset is G56H(tool number)..yes both use an H value, but the G code that preceeds it tells the machine it's either work or tool offset. There are separate columns for this so you can use G15H1 and G56H1
G41,G42 work the same.
There are other things different, but those are the basic ones.

Can you explain the link you sent? Always concerning to download anything!

pls download it without worries

it is a chapter about fanuc codes compatibility on osp

i will soon be in a similar situation, having to change my brain to fanuc :)

all I have is p300's. It depends on if this is new with a p300 or used with an older generation control. For the most part its all pretty much the same, but there are slick things in fanuc and slick things in okuma, but both have things clunky and different than one another. I have never run a new 31 series..... but I LIKE the P300- its got a lot of similarities to the acramatic 2100's, and there will be things you don't want to do like you did on a fanuc. I don't know if you hand code or CAM.... but sometimes if you have a robust post its worthwhile to just osdt a new one instead of f with things forever. But you need to talk to someone with the same control.

On the lathe I found it pretty easy to translate fanuc to p300- on a mill - well lets just say more things will be different, especially for an M560 ( I'd love to have one if I could buy it with someone else's money ). HP coolant comes highly recomended, and ask for a full option list..... ask lots of questions on the options.

hi huleo, if you wish, pls share the configuration that you have in mind for the okuma, before taking a final decision

just like mr Wille sugested, options are a game changer

what i mean is that you will program the okuma very nice, but until than consider that this comunity can help you about the options

all the best :)

I actually have some input here. My background is Fanuc, but I love OSP. I think the designers of OSP have done a very good job of........??WTF

hi huleo, if you wish, pls share the configuration that you have in mind for the okuma, before taking a final decision

just like mr Wille sugested, options are a game changer

what i mean is that you will program the okuma very nice, but until than consider that this comunity can help you about the options

all the best :)

It's not good that we allow Hacks, known users that have been BANNED to rename and post, or poison on our board. Bye PM, for now.

Robert

EDIT; I'm not being passive aggressive, this user was Outed, Banned because of his garbage. Why is he still here? Can Gmatov just get a pseudonym and log back in to puke up his pragmatic racism all over this board again? I'm just not being a part of it because it is offensive to me, maybe that makes me a pussy. But I don't have the energy to comb through this users posts to clarify his nonsense for normal people, and call him out on all the bullshit he posts. Hulio good job NOT opening his link BTW.

Someone send me PM when he's gone, I'll get an email.

They are very similar with G codes.
M codes are usually different from MTB to MTB.
Yes it has a block delete /
Work offset is G15H1 (use 1-199) instead of Fanuc G54,G55,G56 etc..
Tool length offset is G56H(tool number)..yes both use an H value, but the G code that preceeds it tells the machine it's either work or tool offset. There are separate columns for this so you can use G15H1 and G56H1
G41,G42 work the same.
There are other things different, but those are the basic ones.

Adding to Mtddew, since you mentioned sub routines,they are called out (e.g. CALL O500) and the sub has an RTS at the end, a little unique. The OSP P300 uses mnemonic codes as well so there is a lot the controller has to offer and enough difference to warrant considering the switch. If you use CAM, then you will have to find or create a new post that will work effectively unless you just want the simple movements (G00 G01 G02 etc.). I actually prefer the OSP P300M control for the mill over the lathe version, for the lathe the conversational programming has a lot of quirks and nuances that IMO need to be updated or completely redone.

G2 & G3 use an "L" for the radius, instead of an "R."

The other differences that stand out, as already mentioned - Codes for...
Work offset,
Tool length offset,
Subroutine call & end,
local variable designation.

Honestly, I think it's much easier to adapt to the milling differences. The Okuma canned cycles for turning are pretty particular, and gave me more heartburn than any differences in milling codes. But even still, once you get it, it's no big deal.

If you can justify the machine, the control won't cause you much grief at all. You'll be glad you did before long at all.

Back