What's new
What's new

Boring Head for Job shop 5-axis

stoubia

Plastic
We are a fairly large shop doing a lot of aerospace work and we recently got our first full 5-axis machine, DMG-Mori DMU70. Using it as an opportunity to break away from our normal operating procedures, we invested in dedicated tooling for this machine alone. These tool holdlers will not touch another machine (unless we get another DMU), and no other tool holders will touch this machine. We have a lot of old should-be-retired tooling floating around the shop, and one of the big recommendations I've heard from many different people was to not 'contaminate' our new machine with old and poorly maintained tool holders. On top of that, I do believe that to a certain degree you get what you pay for (as long as you know how to use it properly!), so I spent more for some quality holders.

Got a tooling certificate through Ellison when we purchased the machine, so I got a lot of Lyndex-Nikken SK collet holders, a couple milling chucks, and a few end mill holders. I held my ground against all the nay-sayers "wasting your money, doesn't make a different" people in the shop and have had to condition a few guys programming, operating, and tooling up the machine to get on board.

All of the sudden a crazy hot job with 3!! different tight tolerance bores comes up, and guess who doesn't have 3 fresh boring heads to use? This guy. So only second job on the machine and I already had to break my commitment to isolated tooling. Whatever, what's done is done. So I need a solution for boring on this machine. The reality is that we are a job shop and 25-50% of the work we will be running on this machine will be first time and short lead, I really need flexibility but I also can't go out and buy a whole set of boring heads for one machine. I'm looking to get the fine adjuster .00005 increments, I'd even consider looking at the digital boring heads if I can justify it with reduced setup time and reliability. We've currently got 2 Walter B3230s, a UN5 and UN6, gives me a total coverage of bore size from 2.165 - 3.543. They worked extremely well for a job that we purchased them for, this job will eventually end up on the new 5-axis and so will these boring heads. I would have to spend a ton on boring heads to cover all my bases. Could anybody give me some recommendations on a solid boring head or 2 that I can do a lot of damage with? A rep selling some wohlhaupter heads dropped a brochure off a little while ago and they seemed to have a pretty good "starter kit" type of modular set. Where else might I want to look?

We have a modular system that everyone really likes from D'Andrea , with inserts from Ingersoll. Accurate and easy to configure, we have used it for several years. Don't know why its not more popular, poor marketing?

Google Madison Cutting tools. They have single point & balanced 2 point modular system that go from the 3” to 12 – 16” range IIRC. They call them Hectobore & Hectoflex,

Used them in the 70's with a tool presetter & they worked well enough. The insert holders are easily rebuilt (or changed for special purpose) by folks like carbide bob if they get dinged up.

Matt

I have 3 sets of the Pinzbohr BohrSTAR kits, 8mm-100mm range. I like them and they are accurate, my single complaint is that on one of the heads the tenth veneer is off just a hair. I did not notice this when I purchased them or would have returned it. Not a huge deal, still seems like one tenth equals one tenth on the scale, it is just not lined up perfectly between the first line and last line, compared to the .001" lines... Anyways, I think the kit was around $1100? maybe?, been a while now. The smallest bar has about 7/8" reach, and the longest 2 7/8". The adapter that fits on the head for the biggest bores is only limited by the shank that you buy, which there are different lengths and they are modular.

I actually have a smaller head with 2 extensions that I use for a job that has about an 8" long thru bore.

I have these kits -

Techniks BohrSTAR 43 Triangular Insert Boring Kit ? Range .314" up to 1.962"

And this is the smaller one -

Accu-Set Finish Heads ? 90? Lead Angle

I have several Critereon heads that work great, and they're not expensive. Two big problems with Critereon- 1. There are so many shitty copies, it gives the real ones a bad name. 2. It's unbelievable to me how many machininsts don't know how to properly use one. IF you do, you can hold +/- .0001 all day long

I spied three different Walter B3230 boring heads on CAT50 holders for short money on eBay. For the money, get the heads and throw away the CAT50 holders.

I have several Critereon heads that work great, and they're not expensive. Two big problems with Critereon- 1. There are so many shitty copies, it gives the real ones a bad name. 2. It's unbelievable to me how many machininsts don't know how to properly use one. IF you do, you can hold +/- .0001 all day long

Please enlighten the masses!

I guess my point is, yes, it can be done. Setting a .00005" DTI on the bar and feeding the slide measuring this way would be sure to get good results. I have done it this way. Takes a little more time.

Wohlhaupter is nice tools, but they use their own "non ISO standard" inserts. So you're stuck with the inserts they are offering..

I have 3 sets of the Pinzbohr BohrSTAR kits, 8mm-100mm range. I like them and they are accurate, my single complaint is that on one of the heads the tenth veneer is off just a hair. I did not notice this when I purchased them or would have returned it. Not a huge deal, still seems like one tenth equals one tenth on the scale, it is just not lined up perfectly between the first line and last line, compared to the .001" lines... Anyways, I think the kit was around $1100? maybe?, been a while now. The smallest bar has about 7/8" reach, and the longest 2 7/8". The adapter that fits on the head for the biggest bores is only limited by the shank that you buy, which there are different lengths and they are modular.

I actually have a smaller head with 2 extensions that I use for a job that has about an 8" long thru bore.

I have these kits -

Techniks BohrSTAR 43 Triangular Insert Boring Kit ? Range .314" up to 1.962"

And this is the smaller one -

Accu-Set Finish Heads ? 90? Lead Angle

I have a Pinzbohr set also and love it - super easy to dial in for .0001s. For dedicated tools that stay set up for production jobs I hoard Devlieg Microbore and Valenite Variset stuff and use it on just about everything. Nothing special or fancy about it but 100% reliable and predictable and reasonably priced used. Easy to make your own bars if needed also.

Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone! I've got some homework to do.

We hold +/-.0002 with our criterion. Usually stays within .0001 once set. Years of practice.
That said...it sure isn't easy to adjust. I've been eying this one from maritool for years but dont have the job yet to justify .

https://www.maritool.com/Indexable-...n-Precision-Boring-Head-Set/product_info.html

We've got a few Criterions in house as well, not the fine adjusters though. They're old but theyre still pretty rock solid, a bit beaten up though. But as you said, main problem is the adjusting.

What kind of depths, diameters, and tolerances are we talking about here?

Does your machine have scales?

Last job we ran that I mentioned in my previous post had 3 bores:
1st - Ø 1.280 ± .001 at 2.250 depth
2nd - Ø 1.931 ± .001 at 2.000 depth (this was Datum D)
3rd - Ø 1.304 ± .001 at 4.800 depth

heres the kicker for this part... 3rd bore was inside of 2nd bore and true position .000MMC to Datum D MMC... X.X Damn engineers. Only way to get this comfortably is to play with that MMC, so fine adjustment is a must

So we expect anything to come our way at any moment

I would like to try one of these digital heads out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZReeMReAi8s

This makes 3 of us. Saw this video before, need to get ahold of a Big Kaiser rep...

Simple. Measure the finished bore with digital calipers. Push or pull until you get four zeroes. Voila!

60% of the time, it works every time...

heres the kicker for this part... 3rd bore was inside of 2nd bore and true position .000MMC to Datum D MMC... X.X Damn engineers. Only way to get this comfortably is to play with that MMC, so fine adjustment is a must

OK...I want to be there when they measure that position to the datum and bore tolerance.
What CMM do they got to prove out THAT one?

Back