Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ot1 View Post
    I did not know what a turners cube was, but had an idea it was turned on a lathe, I looked it up, yes on a lathe, but only a mill is in the budget for now. I realize I have much to learn.
    Don't worry me too... lol only takes three life times to learn this stuff, old school and new school.

What's your budget ? Second hand or new ? Size of other components you might have to do, CAD/CAM, space and power restrictions ?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

^^^ I wonder how many machinist's know this one ? littlerob1 will like this one (maybe).

(If stuck for time watch first 2 mins then skip to 7 mins 30 seconds. ).

Seems counterintuitive to me but a dynamic worth knowing and the implications are; well see for yourself... :-)

2. Likes litlerob1, Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ot1 View Post
    What is the best way to bore a 1-1/4” dia hole all the way through a 3” cube of 6160. The hole once bored will have a second hole on top 1-1/2” dia and 1” down. Best using 3 axis or 4th axis with a rotary table. I ask this whether I should be considering purchasing a 3 or 4 axis mill. The cube will require other machining operations like face milling and edges round over as well and 12 6mm tapped holes.

a 3-axis mill would work fine, unless you have an extremely large amount of parts to do? Adding a 4th axis, whether a trunnion or possibly going with a horizontal machining center starts getting pricey when you add up all the fixturing. The big advantage to spending that kind of coin is that you can push a button and it will run for hours.

You could fixture a few up on a vertical 3-axis mill to if production is low, in vises or using mitee bite clamps. The 1.250 hole will be easy to put in 60 series aluminum, even without coolant thru spindle. Many companys have coatings you can drill dry with in aluminum with no adhesion....yep no coolant. Sumitomo has a nice DL1000 coating with dead sharp inserts that will do that. You can interpolate the 1.500 hole with an end mill, although an indexable 1.500 end mill with a flat bottom may be able to plunge it quicker?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the part quantity is there, I can't think of why a 4 axis would even be needed. We run three vices regularly on our Bridgeport EZ-Trak. Simple work shift to another vice, next operation. If programmed right, you could do all six sides in three vices with two part turns per vice. Or maybe I'm just getting too use to running multiple vices.

If a CNC was in order, a single vice would do it all. Single work offset, mill and drill/bore whatever on each side, and carry on. I guess you'd have to flat mill the first side, wouldn't you?

I say three. They're cheaper (usually) than 4 axis, and if you get the right one *coughhaascough*, you can add in a fourth or even fifth axis later, when you need/want it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

*coughvf2cough* too bad we missed the 7% sale, is that only once a year?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We are considering new because of features/life/controller. Power good question, can a small haas run on 200amp single phase?