What's new
What's new

Bought my first mill! Supermax YCM-30 with Anilam 5000m controller

MrBC013

Plastic
I just purchased my first mill, a Supermax YCM-30 3-axis CNC mill with an Anilam 5000m retrofitted controller. It also has a 24-spot automatic tool changer on it.

Does anyone know much about this model? Any information/opinions are much appreciated.

I'm confident I can wire the machine up with a VFD and get it running no problem. I don't foresee the need for the 24-spot automatic tool changer, so I will likely remove that and sell it to recoup some of the money I spent on the mill (and buy vise/tooling/etc) any idea what that would be worth?? I will need to wait till I get it home to get more info about the tool changer.

I bought it from the local University's engineering department. It does not look like it's seem much use, the instructor told me they really only cut wood with it. He said he got tired of the students ramming endmills into steel in rapid mode so he would make them machine all their projects out of 2x4s.

This is my first mill, so I'm fairly excited. This is for hobbyist use in my at-home shop. I have not moved the mill yet (will probably pay to have it moved, unless it's crazy expensive)

I have a little experience running Bridgeports and ProtoTraks about 15 years ago, but that's about it. I'm excited to get started, any recommendations on CAD/CAM software?

Thanks for any help you may provide!

I recommend keeping the tool changer. From what I remember those are pretty hardy box way machines. Have fun!

I wouldn’t sell the toolchanger there will come a day when you’ll regret it. We have 7 VMC’s all with at the most a 20 position changer and I’ll tell you what 20 ain’t enough

The main reason I was planning to sell the tool changer is when it was retrofitted to the Anilam 5000m controller (from Bandit IV controller) they weren't able to get the tool changer to work via programming, you have to manually cycle it. I was told that the guy who was paid to install the retrofit controller had lost the bid on supplying the controller (but was paid to install it) so he didn't spend the time to configure the tool changer to work with the controller.

I don't think I'll mind manually changing tooling if I can recoup a decent amount of money from the tool changer to spend on tooling/Kurt vise, etc..

Any estimates on the value of the tool changer? If it's only worth a couple hundred bucks I'll probably hold onto it, but if I can get $1500-2000 for it I'm going to sell it and reinvest in tooling/fixtures.

.....Any estimates on the value of the tool changer? If it's only worth a couple hundred bucks I'll probably hold onto it, but if I can get $1500-2000 for it I'm going to sell it and reinvest in tooling/fixtures.

IIRC the YCM30 is a knee mill design and from the late 80s to early 90s. The value of the entire machine is maybe $3k so getting $1500-$2000 for the toolchanger is dreaming big time.

That’s a nice machine
You won’t get hardly anything for the tool changer unless you get very lucky and find someone with the same machine that needs one( not too likely)
There is a member here named Jerry that really knows this control, it may not take much to get it working. The tool changer is extremely nice to have, I wish I had one on my Mill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good to know the tool changer isn't worth much, but don't tell me the machine is only worth $3k as I've got more into it than that..

I've seen them for $5k+ with the original Bandit III and Bandit IV controllers, so I would think it would.be worth a good amount with the retrofitted Anilam 5000m controller (if it's STILL only worth $3k, just lie to me to make me feel good about spending $4k on the machine)

Good to know the tool changer isn't worth much, but don't tell me the machine is only worth $3k as I've got more into it than that..

I've seen them for $5k+ with the original Bandit III and Bandit IV controllers, so I would think it would.be worth a good amount with the retrofitted Anilam 5000m controller (if it's STILL only worth $3k, just lie to me to make me feel good about spending $4k on the machine)
If it's running, don't worry about relative cost. Run it, make money. Period. Worrying about $1K in purchase will soon be a distant memory.
I had a couple of SuperMax mills with Anilam control. They worked fine. They were far more reliable at that time than the Fanuc stuff we had at (what was then) my day job. I wish Anilam was still in business and supporting them. Jerry Bouvier seems to be the go-to guy these days.
Once you have a mill with an automatic changer you'll hardly ever want to mill without one. Life is much better. That particular toolchanger setup you have will only have value to someone that needs that exact setup, which likely isn't common.
Good luck.

Machine values vary by region and economy. Also asking price and realized sales price are often quite different. This is particularly true for used old machines with a retrofit control. Retrofit controls often reduce the value of a machine. This is due to things like you have with yours..... Machine peripherals that do not function or function with notable bugs and reliability/safety issues. Wiring diagrams that are incomplete or non-existent. Other documentation not provided or available.

The only thing that matters though is that you are happy with what you paid. My comment about the machine value is not to try to hurt your feelings, but just give you some perspective on the potential value of your toolchanger as a stand-alone sale item.

IMO, you would be far better off to keep the toolchanger and figure out the logic programming needed on the Anilam to make it operational. Doing that well is a big job. Doing it just good enough for your use is much less demanding.

Post up some pics
The mill is worth well over $3k
$3k will get you a nice manual machine

Here's one of the pics from the auction I bought it at. I took a couple pics in person but don't have a way to host them and really didn't take many pics of it.. once I get it home I'll take some better pics.
592_1251_1.jpg

I'm happy with the purchase, my other option was an Alliant RT-2 with a 2-axis Prototrak controller for $2500 but it was about 150 miles further away.. for the extra $1500 I feel like I got a lot better machine.

I have the same machine, minus the tool changer, with the crusader m control. I wish I had a tool changer! My advise is DON'T SELL IT.

I just sold a 1994 Fadal VMC10 (5hp, 16 tool changer, new LCD screen, keyboard and counterweight chains and sprockets) ready to make parts for $6k. So hopefully you paid under that.

I just sold a 1994 Fadal VMC10 (5hp, 16 tool changer, new LCD screen, keyboard and counterweight chains and sprockets) ready to make parts for $6k. So hopefully you paid under that.

Where are these deals when I’m looking :)
There’s a dealer in the NE with a ‘99 3016 with some work done on it, he wants $25k! Drugs?

You are definitely shopping the wrong places.

Dealers typically do not do smoking deals unless they have something they own in stock for too long. They are in business to make money and often, lots of it.

Owner to buyer are the best deals. Particularly when an old machine is being replaced with a new one and there is some urgency to get the old out to make space for the new.

Just recently there was a thread on PM where a guy was looking at a Fadal 6030 in running condition for $4k and local to me there was a Kuraki KV700 in nice running condition that was bought for $2300. I helped a bit on that particular machine. The screen flickered at power up. Traced to some bad caps on the video power supply. ~$9 in parts from Digikey and a couple hours and that was fixed. The new owner showed me some Ti parts he made on it. There was a 1" diameter boss on the part that he circle milled. It was only out of round by .0005". Not bad for a 30+ year old machine.

I’m not really shopping dealers , but this showed up on Craigslist with no price, didn’t know it was a dealer until I called
Sorry to derail the OPs thread

The mill only cost me $3957.19 plus whatever it costs to move it across town.. it's more than I wanted to spend, but I'm plenty happy with it. I went from almost buying a manual Bridgeport to almost buying a 2-axis Alliant with old school Prototrak controller to buying this 3-axis CNC with much newer Anilam 5000m controller (plus the 24-spot tool changer/tooling and coolant system as a bonus)

I must be blind sombitch ,cause I don't see a tool magazine. BTW, I have that model with a Fagor 8020 control.

Jerry has been reluctant to delve into programming of my Anilam machines in the past..

Back