What's new
What's new

Brand new DNM 5700 drip feed

KrustyKorby

Plastic
We just received our first cnc mill a few months back. It is a brand new Doosan DNM 5700 with iHMI control. Only restriction that the machine really has is the file transfers. USB is sluggish and drip feed from a card isn't quite what I am after. I have previously worked with haas machines and their file transfers are simple with endless storage just load and go. I went to run a mold the other day, and the file size was greater than the 2mb storage. I am aware of using a memory card, but I am after something simpler than having to always pull cards in and out of the machine. This leads me to drip feeding off of a computer next to the machine and using this for program management. I think it would be easiest to drip feed off of the computer and not have to worry ever again about file transfer via cards/usb. That leads to my question, what is the best/reasonably priced DNC software out at the moment? The only function I would need beside the generic Drip feed is a program restart function. Coming from haas, I am not too familiar with drip feed. The more user friendly the better. Thanks in advance.

We just received our first cnc mill a few months back. It is a brand new Doosan DNM 5700 with iHMI control. Only restriction that the machine really has is the file transfers. USB is sluggish and drip feed from a card isn't quite what I am after. I have previously worked with haas machines and their file transfers are simple with endless storage just load and go. I went to run a mold the other day, and the file size was greater than the 2mb storage. I am aware of using a memory card, but I am after something simpler than having to always pull cards in and out of the machine. This leads me to drip feeding off of a computer next to the machine and using this for program management. I think it would be easiest to drip feed off of the computer and not have to worry ever again about file transfer via cards/usb. That leads to my question, what is the best/reasonably priced DNC software out at the moment? The only function I would need beside the generic Drip feed is a program restart function. Coming from haas, I am not too familiar with drip feed. The more user friendly the better. Thanks in advance.

The new doosans are suppose to have data server on them as standard now

Fucking Fanuc, what god damn trash these bozos crank out.

2021 and between Fanuc still making users go through the worst UI in the industry, Doosan for continuing to use Fanuc as a supplier, and the OP's dealer not providing the necessary training required to navigate this garbage fire... and here we are, with someone even considering drip feeding from a computer to a brand new, $100k+ machine tool.

I want to mention that with this new iHMI interface, it makes daily operating much more user friendly. It has its quirks like any Fanuc, but I don't mind this new control compared to Haas NGC. I will say that it is a huge step in the right direction for Fanuc. I have been in contact with our dealer and I have gotten suggestions from them, and they suggested winDNC for me. It is definitely ridiculous that Fanuc can put a touch screen on a control, but not be able to put at least 1 Gig of storage onboard.

There is no point, even if they add a gigabyte of memory we already have 1TB compact flash cards: Just a moment...

They will never come close to that much memory without a seriously crazy price increase.

.......It is definitely ridiculous that Fanuc can put a touch screen on a control, but not be able to put at least 1 Gig of storage onboard.

Ummmm.... If you don't want to use CF cards in the PCMCIA slot, you spec the control properly or order the correct options from your builder at the time of purchase and you can have up to 4 gig on a data server.

Large Part Program Management | CNC Systems | FANUC America

It is not cheap, but it is available, robust, and supported until most of us are dead.

What is everyone's gripe about drip feeding? Seems like a good solution to me to go around the low storage size Fanuc control, and way less mounting/unmounting of cards, just set the machine to tape, send file, and go.

What is everyone's gripe about drip feeding? Seems like a good solution to me to go around the low storage size Fanuc control, and way less mounting/unmounting of cards, just set the machine to tape, send file, and go.

1- Drip feeding limits some functions of the control, depending on how it is setup. Sub program calls become more complicated, program restart is usually not possible.

2- It requires the computer be 100% reliable. When the computer sending the drip feed shits the bed, so does the machine tool.

3- It is almost 2022 for god sakes. My $400 wrist watch has 10x the computing power, 8gb of storage, and wireless network connectivity. It is insulting that the machine tool industry is selling this decades old schlock and forcing people to live with workarounds and dumb limitations. "But it works!" is a shit answer/excuse for these bozos - if we applied that attitude to every market, we would be starting our cars with hand cranks and communicating via Morris code.

At this point, only Fanuc is doing this to their customers. Brother, Heidenhain, Siemens, Okuma* (sort of) have all moved on to the point where users literally never need to think about junk like this.

* I was very sad to have found an Okuma apps engineer who did a YouTube video on program handling on the Okuma, and the various methods for running a program. Sure enough, behind the glossy OSP interface, Okuma is still running a crappy real-time system, and you need to think about how to load programs onto it.

I use Quick Link and it works very well.
If you'd like the manuals on drip feeding the Doosan, PM me. I used to work for them as Training Coordinator and A/E.

If your machine has Ethernet, Buy Fanuc's transfer program its only a couple of hundred bucks. lets you drag and drop files from the computer to the control. Makes it work almost like a modern controller.

Again it’s a new doosan that should have the 1gb data server. Call your dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2017 DNM 5700. If you are willing to drip feed not sure what the issue is. I use a CF 2.0GB card in a PCMCIA adapter just because I wanted to also use it in an older CNC that only has PCMCIA.

I DNC directly from the 2.0GB card plugged into the control no other software or hardware needed. My issues with this were the reduced functionality. Specifically that while trial machining I could not do restarts mid program after making changes. On programs with 20+ operations having to sit thought them got really old.

So I got that little program that Fanuc sells for like $29.95. It allows you to use a CF card as normal controller memory. Makes them like .bin files or something that the controller can see or something.

20210422_173458(1).jpg

I have a 2017 DNM 5700. If you are willing to drip feed not sure what the issue is. I use a CF 2.0GB card in a PCMCIA adapter just because I wanted to also use it in an older CNC that only has PCMCIA.

I DNC directly from the 2.0GB card plugged into the control no other software or hardware needed. My issues with this were the reduced functionality. Specifically that while trial machining I could not do restarts mid program after making changes. On programs with 20+ operations having to sit thought them got really old.

So I got that little program that Fanuc sells for like $29.95. It allows you to use a CF card as normal controller memory. Makes them like .bin files or something that the controller can see or something.

View attachment 336192

I dont want to have to put cards in and out of the machine. I am after posting out a program and having it sent straight to the machine(or a computer next to it). From my understanding, you are putting the files on a card with that software and putting it in your pcmcia slot? Or are you uploading those files to a card that's already in your control?

At this point, only Fanuc is doing this to their customers. Brother, Heidenhain, Siemens, Okuma* (sort of) have all moved on to the point where users literally never need to think about junk like this.
Not so. Fanuc have at least equal file transfer and sharing facility as any that you've mentioned. It's another case of Fanuc being Lampooned for the implementation of their systems by the MTB. If one specs there requirement properly, the MTB would be able to supply. In a lot of cases, MTBs dumb the systems down as a cost cutting strategy and Fanuc cops it in the neck from the unknowing.

Yeah well then maby Fanuc should realize that allowing their customers dumbing down the system is comparable to shooting themself in the foot, so I would definitly say that fanuc is to blame. Hopefully they will go out of bussiness when the newer generations who are used to proper GUI's and functionality start to appear in the shops, but we'll see..

On topic: Dripping programs suck. As previous people said, check out data server.
If you dont have it, get it.

.... Hopefully they will go out of bussiness when the newer generations who are used to proper GUI's and functionality start to appear in the shops, but we'll see..

Hopefully there will be folks in the "newer generations" that will be intelligent enough to realize a few things. A fancy GUI is not worth shit if the control is broken down and the manufacturer no longer supports it due to being 10-15 years old. Long MTBF in a production environment is more important than a "proper GUI and functionality" whatever that means.

Fucking Fanuc, what god damn trash these bozos crank out.

2021 and between Fanuc still making users go through the worst UI in the industry, Doosan for continuing to use Fanuc as a supplier, and the OP's dealer not providing the necessary training required to navigate this garbage fire... and here we are, with someone even considering drip feeding from a computer to a brand new, $100k+ machine tool.

I was just about to shit all over Fanuc but you beat me to the punch, but ill do it anyway.

ITS 2021 PEOPLE. How on god's green earth is a company giving you 2MB??????

What is this, a CNC controller for ants?!?!

For real, I just cannot fathom this. Sure their new HMI is nicer than their old interface but they are still about a decade behind other controller manufacturers lol. Look at Heidenhain and tell me a Fanuc can even compare with ease of use. It's not like Heidy is less capable or functional either. Goodness.

I would suggest whoever bought this machine to kick them in the nuts for not buying upgraded storage options.

Not so. Fanuc have at least equal file transfer and sharing facility as any that you've mentioned. It's another case of Fanuc being Lampooned for the implementation of their systems by the MTB. If one specs there requirement properly, the MTB would be able to supply. In a lot of cases, MTBs dumb the systems down as a cost cutting strategy and Fanuc cops it in the neck from the unknowing.

I agree it is the case of the MTB not speccing something correct, however, the fact that FANUC is even still selling crap like this is reflective of their company. Nickle and dime

I was just about to shit all over Fanuc but you beat me to the punch, but ill do it anyway.

ITS 2021 PEOPLE. How on god's green earth is a company giving you 2MB??????

What is this, a CNC controller for ants?!?!

For real, I just cannot fathom this. Sure their new HMI is nicer than their old interface but they are still about a decade behind other controller manufacturers lol. Look at Heidenhain and tell me a Fanuc can even compare with ease of use. It's not like Heidy is less capable or functional either. Goodness.

I would suggest whoever bought this machine to kick them in the nuts for not buying upgraded storage options.

closer to 2 decades behind on memory.
downright disgusting

Back