What's new
What's new

Brass C360 warping

Djstorm100

Cast Iron
Hey everyone. It seems with each new batch of brass I get the warping is all different, as one would image but this batch I got from Alro is just bad. 8" long part warping up to .040 lenght wise and 0.010 across.

Part is a rectangle with few shallow pockets and drill holes
dimension
7.8" long
1" wide
.5" tall

Rough stock
.625" Thick
1.25" wide
8.125" long
What are you secrets or things I can do to help this?

I've been using soft jaws for op1 and 2. Jaws are holding on to 0.08 and first op facing is taking0.045 off. I thought that by facing the top and bottom would help the stress but it actually made it worst.

Same problem as encountered with cold finished steel. Locked in stress from rolling cause distortion when the surface is cut away. If you could start with .5 x 1.0 you would eliminate the cuts that cause most of the warping. Cutting pockets will result in some distortion. You may have to straighten the parts after machining.

Same problem as encountered with cold finished steel. Locked in stress from rolling cause distortion when the surface is cut away. If you could start with .5 x 1.0 you would eliminate the cuts that cause most of the warping. Cutting pockets will result in some distortion. You may have to straighten the parts after machining.

Thanks, I did try 0.5" wide but due to the bar it self maybe, the wall wasn't getting fully machine. The pockets are .150 in depth and small, just clearance for 4 screws (m6)

I'm hoping when I get my VF2 or Doosan DNM4500s I won't have this problem. My machine is about clapped out but have to start from some where.

It is most likely the alloy you are getting. If I can, I will ask at work what we are using. We used to (before I started there) have ALOT of warping issues with brass I was told, but we switched to another vendor and problem went away.

You may have to do two prep ops. take .01" off the face flip, take .01" off the other face. Getting the mill finish off and letting it relax, then machining has helped me(don't tap the part to seat it in the vise). Also, you could try facing at a 45deg angle. Sometimes that helps reduce the warp.

It is most likely the alloy you are getting. If I can, I will ask at work what we are using. We used to (before I started there) have ALOT of warping issues with brass I was told, but we switched to another vendor and problem went away.

Thank you!

You may have to do two prep ops. take .01" off the face flip, take .01" off the other face. Getting the mill finish off and letting it relax, then machining has helped me(don't tap the part to seat it in the vise). Also, you could try facing at a 45deg angle. Sometimes that helps reduce the warp.

I did this earlier today but I took .03 off each and adjusted my soft jaw step height from .1 to .08. I was hoping it would reduce it but it didn't. I love brass for its machining nature but it moving around can be a pain.

Back