What's new
What's new

Bridgeport Boss 5 Tooling holders

Wildeyedsboy

Plastic
Ok everyone I am sure this is a really stupid question but I am tired of searching over and over and thinking I have found what I need. I have a Bridgeport Boss 5, I thought I needed the NMTB 30 tool holders my issue is They fit in the spindle just fine however none of them will allow me to place the spindle cap on to secure them in. I have not been able to find manuals for the Boss 5 searched the internet over and over. I bought this machine with no factory electronics. I came with PDMX boards to retro fit that side of the machine, I have it up and running with Mach 3 but need tool holders that I can secure into the spindle. If you have know what I need please message me.

Ok everyone I am sure this is a really stupid question but I am tired of searching over and over and thinking I have found what I need. I have a Bridgeport Boss 5, I thought I needed the NMTB 30 tool holders my issue is They fit in the spindle just fine however none of them will allow me to place the spindle cap on to secure them in. I have not been able to find manuals for the Boss 5 searched the internet over and over. I bought this machine with no factory electronics. I came with PDMX boards to retro fit that side of the machine, I have it up and running with Mach 3 but need tool holders that I can secure into the spindle. If you have know what I need please message me.

NMTB 30 uses a draw bar. No cap, since you have tool holders you can't use I m interested in yours if you want to sell then on.

You probably need the Erickson QC30 toolholders. They have a flange diameter and thickness designed to be held with the spindle nut.
I tried grinding down the some nmtb30 and cheap ebay bt30 holders to see if they could be made to work and got very frustrated. There was no consistency in flange dimensions between brands. I set up a grinder on my horizontal mill ( that takes 30 taper tooling..) to see if I could get a consistent setup. Gauge lengths were all over the place, flange thicknesses too thin. Just a mess. My guess is that any posting that suggests its a simple matter to grind them in is misleading.
There are qc30 toolholders on ebay. Look for the actual etching on the holder saying it's a true "qc30".
I was fortunate that the spindle on my machine could be fitted with a drawbar otherwise I'd be there on the Bay with you scrambling for what I could get.

^^^ This.

Spindle cap means you need genuine Erickson Quick Change 30 tool holders. I bought some NMTB 30 stuff for our Bridgeport Series 1 (has the same 30 taper QC system) and out of maybe 10 holders from misc. manufacturers, 1 worked with the QC collar, half could be ground, the other half couldn't. The thickness of the flange is one issue, but the collar works on both sides of the flange to hold it in and to eject it, so if the flange is at the wrong gauge line, you may not have enough material to grind down.

That's not to say you can't use NMTB tooling in your spindle, just leave off the QC collar and make a draw-bar instead.

I figured it out my quick change nut is missing the insert the last owner just put a washer inside so it would hold the one tool holder inside. Thinking I may try and make a draw bar not sure yet. Still looking now that I know what the problem is.

Well everyone I figured out what the issue is the quick change nut I have does not have the insert in it to lock the tool holder in place. The owner before me just tossed a washer inside the nut to hold the tool holder that was in it when I bought it. Found a NOS nut 306.00 from England or 360.00 from Ericson, or find/Make a draw bar....:angry:

Thanks for everyone's input

most boss 5 mills are quick switch 200 ... I think I still have some boss 5 manuals , I ran them for years and still have two V ram machines and one ridged ram ,,

Does anyone know if the Ericson QC30 insert will work in the Bridgeport nut and do you need the ericson tool holders or can you use other brands

I may still have the spindle from an old QC30 bridgeport MDI sitting in my garage, along with a bunch of QC30 toolholders. I'll check this weekend.

Back