What's new
What's new

Bridgeport EZ Track - replace SBC - sanity check & questions

Blocko

Plastic
Hello all,

First post for me here. I'm more of a programming, electronics kinda guy. Kinda new to this stuff - it's fascinating.

I've been approached by a colleague to check on his private, aging Bridgeport EZ Track mill to chase some gremlins.
We are checking out the PSU and a new IDE DOM is installed. The original SBC is aging, has seen multiple repairs over the years and we would like to exchange it for something compatible.

The original board is an Acrosser AR-B1578. Going for something similar, I picked a Lanner AP-545.
Heck, it was about $55 so not much into it, has onboard USB, socketed CMOS battery, SDRAM.
A few nice touches and upgrades, yet still is Socket7 / Pentium 1 compatible.

• I googled and searched this forum. Is there a guide for must-haves on this board to guarantee compatibility?
  • I found one post that mentions a max of 133Mhz CPU clock, or else bad things happen. Would someone here know if the limit is the front side bus, or the CPU?
    (Granted, given the SW that is running, 133MHz is probably plenty)
  • What's considered the common go-to option when replacing the SBC?
    Backplanes are cheap and if a newer one with ATX connector, full length PICMG support instead of passive ISA is available (I hope I got the interfaces right), I'll dig into it.
  • The Lanner card supports PC104+ are there any cool cards out there, or an adapter / riser to regular PCI?

The Lanner
s-l500.jpg

The Acrosser
s-l1600.jpg

Back