What's new
What's new

Bridgeport GX300

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
Well this is an interesting find.
Hardinge Bridgeport GX 300 Vertical Mill – NEW! -...

Hardinge Machine Tools, B.V. (Made in Taiwan)
Model: Bridgeport GX 300 (New)
Serial No.: Available for Serious Inquiry
Electrics: 220 Volt / 3 Phase / 60 Cycle / FLA: 72A / Spindle Drive: 39A
Power: 22 kW
Date of Manufacture: January 2017

Features and Specifications:
…Travels: X – 11.8” / Y – 15.8” / Z – 16.9”
…Table: 16” x 24”
…Distance Spindle-Table: 5.9” – 22.8”
…No ATC; Single Tool Spindle
…Cat 40 Taper
…Max Spindle Speed: 7,080 RPM
…Max Table Loading: 180 KG (397 lbs.)
…Max Tool Diameter: 80 MM (3.15”)
…Max Tool Length: 225 MM (8.85”)
…Max Tool Weight: 7 KG (15.42 lbs.)
…3-Axis (X,Y,Z)
…NC Control: Fanuc Oi-MF
…Coolant System: Tank and Pump
…Rigid Tapping, RS-232 Port

Machine Dimensions (approx.): 96” x 55” x 88”
Coolant Tank (approx.): 47” x 26”
Machine Weight (approx.): 5190 KG (11,500 lbs.)

Functionality Notes: Machine purchased new by present owner; machine is still in packaging, never connected, never used. Have CDs for Fanuc controller, operations manual, and quality inspection reports.

EQUIPMENT LOCATION: Portland, OR

I wonder why this was never used.
Seems like a good, small machine for heavy cutting.

We had a GX 480 APC, it was a terrible machine. It was NOT suitable for heavy cutting, and it wasn't reliable. The chip wash didn't work on anything but fines, you had to keep unsnagging the chips to keep it from backnig up. And the conveyor let all the fines go right through it and fill up the tank, I had to fab a basket to hold filter pads to keep the coolant tank from filling up. The ATC had an ongoing issue that the techs never did sort out where it would lose the tool slot allocations randomly, and either get stuck between tools or just scramble them and start grabbing the wrong tool. I had a program saved to cycle through all the tool pots just to unload them and reload them back in teh correct spots, that's how frequently it happened. The tool arm broke repeatedly in the first year, and it literally chucked an endmill holder through the window when the tool retention finger spring broke. Oh yea, and the cable bundle going to the table would rub on the sheetmetal in back, and wore a hole through the braided steel jacket, which then started poking the loose strands into the hoses and wires. Trying to do anything from the side door was a massive pain because you had to almost crawl into the machine to actually get close enough to see what was going on, the ATC blocked the entire front of the machine.

That said, it was a 2013ish machine, they may have gotten better?

Machines that are 4, going on 5 years old and never powered up, give me cause for concern. This isn't some classic car tucked away to keep the odometer low, this is a piece of capital equipment that is supposed to be making money for someone.

Makes me wonder if it's some kind of special ordered oddball that no one wanted (no ATC is strange on this), or a factory goof up.
You can't see it run, so you have no idea what the thing is like after being dormant for all this time.
Proceed cautiously, because if you buy it, you're going to be married to it for a long time. Like a CNC lathe with no tailstock and no subspindle, it's a machine that has a very narrow appeal.

I didn't even see that no ATC line.
Yeah, 12 inch X travel, no tool change. Who the hell ordered this thing originally?

I was assuming it was a heavy duty machine due to the relatively low RPM (8000 i think) and it weighs in at 11,500lbs while only being 300mm / 12" X travel.

If it doesn't cut heavy, what the hell use is this little thing?

Maybe a grinding application? Lot of disposable machines being used for semi-conductor ceramics manufacturing around here. If it was intended to run big ass wheels, they may require a manual tool change anyways.

Still, seems a strange way to save buck. :confused:

Wouldn't surprise me if this is in a warehouse behind Tosoh Quartz or CoorsTek.

It's curious that such a small machine would have that slow a 40 taper spindle. The 22kW claim must be for the max draw of the entire machine, yes? If it's the spindle only, it better have pretty robust ways. Maybe it does, 11K lbs for a machine that size means it's roughly 30% heavier than a VF-2 that's got nearly 3x the table travel.

Back