What's new
What's new

Bridgeport series 2 interact 2 spindle troublshooting

howhow

Plastic
Hello
I’m a newbie to the forum and to CNC machining
In the process of getting my BP series 2 interact 2 mill up & running
I’m getting conflicting opinions on how the spindle is designed to turn on and speed adjusted - only manually or both manually and with an m03 Snnn code.
The spindle/speed controls operate fine manually
The spindle turns off with a M25
Spindle won’t turn on with m03 or change speed in MDI mode
The Heidehain TNC151b controller indicates it’s sending signal out with the “*” on the monitor
Traced wire from J2 10 on the controller (the spindle on terminal)to cr 15 in panel
Not sure what the next step is?
Should this machine turn on and change speed via the controller?

Hello
I’m a newbie to the forum and to CNC machining
In the process of getting my BP series 2 interact 2 mill up & running
I’m getting conflicting opinions on how the spindle is designed to turn on and speed adjusted - only manually or both manually and with an m03 Snnn code.
The spindle/speed controls operate fine manually
The spindle turns off with a M25
Spindle won’t turn on with m03 or change speed in MDI mode
The Heidehain TNC151b controller indicates it’s sending signal out with the “*” on the monitor
Traced wire from J2 10 on the controller (the spindle on terminal)to cr 15 in panel
Not sure what the next step is?
Should this machine turn on and change speed via the controller?

First off, welcome to the forum.

There were two models: AC spindle drive and DC spindle drive, designated Mark 2. DC spindle drive turns on and off via control. Most Interacts are AC. I think, from your description, that this is what you have.

The AC spindle drive start, stop and speed adjustment happens only manually. You prob know this already, but speed adjust only with the motor running. Compressed air releases the spindle brake and operates the speed changer, so compressed air needs to be connected.

It's not necessary to have an M03 in the program, though it's a good idea. If one forgets to start the spindle and punches the go button, the control will stop when the M03 is reached.

The control is capable of turning the spindle on and adjusting speed, but there's nothing in the hardware to accept those signals. A VFD with the right inputs would allow automatic spindle off/on and speed regulation, but this iron was made a bit before affordable VFD's.

Back