What's new
What's new

Bridgeport V480

tc227

Aluminum
I'm looking to purchase one. Has anyone had any bad experiences with these or newer Bridgeport's?

I have had a 480APC model (a 480 with a front mounted pallet changer). The machine has made a lot of money over the years but the 20 tool side mount changer barfs every year or two by getting full of aluminum chips. The machine seems to be more rigid as a Haas, it is fairly quick, and overall a pretty good machine. Support from Hardinge is ok but not great on the Taiwan machines. Is the one you are getting new or used?

Looking at a new one with side mount tool changer.Not the apc model.
How much money does the tool changer cost for repair.
I'm also looking at a Haas mini mill 2.

It is the same tool changer. Our machine would often fill two 55 gallon drums of aluminum chips a day so we make a lot of chips. Chips eventually ricochet their way into the changer and jam it to the point that you have to start taking things apart to get it to move again. Never broken any parts like this and I can get it working again in a day and a good service guy in a couple of hours. I think it has wadded up like this about 4 times in 7 years so not too bad. People try to compare these to a Brother but they are a different beast. Brothers are faster but the 40 taper is so much more rigid and you can cut much more aggressively with it. Would I buy one without a pallet changer - no. Is it a good second op machine - maybe. A Brother will destroy it in a drill tap race. Is it easier to get good finishes +_.0005" than a Brother - yes. Ours has drilled/tapped or reamed at least 10 million holes on parts that we run, tool life is good (better than the Brother but not nearly as good as the Okumas), overall decent machines. I would take the Hardinge over the Haas in a second. Just look at what each one weighs and the Hardinge has faster rapids and tool changes than the Haas. What are they quoting on it?

Back