Broaching on CNC mill? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no problem with razorform bringing up this thread again. We need more speciality mfgs on this forum.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Auto View Post
    I have no problem with razorform bringing up this thread again. We need more speciality mfgs on this forum.
    I agree. I was actually looking for something like this but I didn't search the forum for it. This came up thanks to bumping of old threads. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. Some forum rules are shit and that rule is one of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hertz View Post
    I agree. I was actually looking for something like this but I didn't search the forum for it. This came up thanks to bumping of old threads. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. Some forum rules are shit and that rule is one of them.
    I too would like more tooling/mfg on the site,the fact of the matter is advertising is not free....pay for an add ! PERIOD

4. Likes ihbuilder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used the Razorform tooling. The tooling worked very well. Our Haas lathes did not. Specifically, they would not repeat spindle orientation close enough to produce reliable location of the keyway. The turret and feed had no problem making the cuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Because if that was not a rule who would buy banner ads that pay for this site?

Because if that was allowed every "how do I do this" thread would turn to a sales pitch.

Because if you did that you would have to search for days to find real helpful threads in the muck of spam threads.

I have a problem with it, and I'm sure you are in the minority.

If you want to look at ads with the random chance of one being something you can use I've got literally hundreds of magazines and pamphlets from salesman that run through and just toss them on my desk. You can have them all if you want to pay shipping.

I bet you get excited over spam e-mail messages! Good lord, who would think vetoing such a rule would ever be a good thing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have "shaped" 1 1/2" keys on our VMC. Heres how i do it. I select an in house made boring bar. If not i make it, really simple. Take a piece of desired stock the bigger the better for the longer the depth due to deflection. Machine 1 end to fit a weldon shank holder (we have 25mm, 32mm and 40mm). At the other end drill a hole and broach to 1/2". Heres where it gets a little tricky. I take a carbide tipped dead centre in a morse taper holder and since the bore is dialled in as zero on machine i go out to full key depth on appropriate axis and using the hand wheel put 2 small centre pop marks on the face of the work, then manually scribe a line between the 2. Sometimes i just go into the part .002" - .004" and scribe like that to get a parralell line to the x or y axis for on quadrant keys. Now to the shaping part. I grind a 1/2" form tool with all the required clearance and rake and grind it even from the sides. Put it in my boring bar i made earlier upside down to shape the key. Next i manually unlock the spindle and rotate untill the tip of my tool is parallel to previously scribed line and lock spindle (can be done with a dial indicator but by eye can get close enough). At no point turn the spindle on from here. Next i write a small loop program to shape the key with a depth per pass of .002"- .004" i have cut as much as .007" per pass. Just make sure in the loop program to pull the tool away from the cut slightly so it doesn't drag on the upward retract and away you go. I use a g01 to feed downward and just tweak the feedrate untill i get the desired chip. Use plenty of cutting fluid as easy as that. Extremely minimal load on the machine. Admittedly we only do this op when it has to be done. 1/2" wide is the widest cut i have taken and just use side cuts for wider keys. I normally rough it all out first then finish it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bet a slotter would cut that for under a 100$,if you have 25 of them,prolly under 40 $ just awag.
    Gw

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cry much? I was merely stating it should be fine to bump an old thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just spoke with a guy earlier today at Slater tool about broaching a 3/4" thru hex in 6061 on a VMC and he quoted $850 for the tool holder and $85 for a broach. A little too pricey for me. Any other vendors come to mind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ingram Slotting,Farmington Mi.,3 foot deep aboot max., maybe 80" dia. max.
    way cheaper than dinkin with a compromise,just a thought....
    Gw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Resurrecting an old thread. How do you lock a spindle while broaching on a lathe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Fivendime,

This link has data with image and content. I think it will help you in setup on a CNC mill.
    How to Set up a Cnc Milling Machine: 8 Steps (with Pictures)
    If you are again getting problem then I think you need to contact any CNC manufacturer. Or you can also contact: Vibratory Bowl Feeders Manufactured by Vibratory Feeders Inc

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You typically can't lock the spindle on a lathe unless it happens to have live tooling and a C axis....

Post Thanks / Like

Cry much? I was merely stating it should be fine to bump an old thread.
    This is why, just an observation. Post # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by vibratoryfeeder View Post
    Hi Fivendime,
    That Fivendime cat hasn't been seen here since 2nd March 2012. He could be dead for all we know. Poor example I know, the vibe dude, posts mostly to get the vibe plug in. But here I am reponding to some thing you said nearly 2 years ago in Aug 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik View Post
    Resurrecting an old thread. How do you lock a spindle while broaching on a lathe?
    You need a C axis which normally comes with live tools, or a spindle with a brake. Hardinges of the Conquest variety had brakes. If you are not aware of a method to stop and hold the spindle, your going to have trouble.

Phil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Usually some combination of M19 and or M5 will keep the spindle sort of locked. As the broach gets deeper into the part it becomes self guiding (if the broach is ground square). Feed is in Inches per Minute, not inches per rev (G96? or something close to that) I have broached 3/8" wide keyways in D-2 for years with a two axis Mazak (no C axis)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I receive the CNC Cookbook blog, the same concern about wear was voiced, pretty awesome example of CNC mill broaching, it convinced me the process was fine and I've used the tools now, I think it's completely safe to CNC mill broach

Secrets of Broaching on a CNC Mill - CNCCookbook CNCCookbook

here a really cool video:
    CNC Broaching Blind Internal Keyway - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is also an article in recent Modern Machine Shop of a shop broaching on their HMC Makino,

I for one would not dare try it on ceramic spindle berings, They are not ment for any static loads, The berings are so fragile

May be possibly on steel bearing spindles but why risk it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always broach with a CNC machine. But it doesn’t always work... Depending on the material.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by solidworkscadman View Post
    There is also an article in recent Modern Machine Shop of a shop broaching on their HMC Makino,

I for one would not dare try it on ceramic spindle berings, They are not ment for any static loads, The berings are so fragile

May be possibly on steel bearing spindles but why risk it?
    If you can mount the broaching tool on the head rather than in the spindle you should be fine. No load on the spindle bearings.

I'm currently working with a customer on CNC broaching small tapered squares in 12L14. Drill the blank to size. Mount vertically in an indexing fixture and program an angled plunge nibbling each corner to depth. Index and repeat.

A competitor of my customer does this non-CNC with a vertical shaper. They mount the blank in their indexer at an angle off the vertical and nibble each corner to depth, index and repeat. I'll use the mill because I don't have a vertical shaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Caruk View Post
    You typically can't lock the spindle on a lathe unless it happens to have live tooling and a C axis....
    That’s what I thought when my company bought a brand new Mazak lather last year. But there was an option called “spindle orient” which locked the spindle. I use this to mount fixtures and bolt it down while it’s locked.