What's new
What's new

Broaching keyways on turning center, special option?

SND

Diamond
I often need to broach blind keyways, currently doing them manually(slow). I know this can be done on a CNC turning center, but do you need a machine C-axis(which would usually also have milling eh) to do it or would all regular 2 axis lathes still have a basic spindle lock and rough orientation of some sort to do this?

I initially was pretty sure it would need the C built in so it can properly hold/index the spindle(I usually just cut 1 key so index might not matter much for me so long as it holds it in place), but noticed a video of a machine with a turret that doesn't have live tool capability from the looks of it and it's broaching but spindle orientation is an option on it, so maybe it has that without the milling ?

So, in short, I need a machine that can do it, and to know what to specifically ask the sales guy for if this option has a special name. Cause some seem to baffle easy and not know much about these details/options, or what broaching even is...

thanks

OKUMA GENOS L4 dlutowanie - YouTube

Any machine with rigid tapping will have spindle orientation. That's all you really need. Possibly you will need a bar pulling option. Some lathes do not allow you to feed the tool unless the spindle is running unless you have a bar pulling package.

I was a bit wondering about that, similar to how the cnc mill orients the same way each time for tool changes and tapping eh.
But it probably has no lock? could you just easily turn it by hand on the lathe? I'm just used to locking/tensioning the spindle on the manual lathe when I broach to make sure the slot stays where it needs to be.
I'll definitely have bar pulling. Some come with it, some want a lot of $ for it it seems. another thing I thought would be standard on all machines today but isn't.

Many times spindle orientation is part of a bar pulling package for pulling hex or square bars. Using an M19 for orientation should be enough for broaching. You don't need a C axis with a brake.

hy SND / just like ewlsey said, there is no need for C axis :)

however, you can use [ C axis ] or [ C axis + break ] or [ M19 ]

be aware that M19 may not be as tough as expected, but it may be enough for broaching :)

pls check this live holders :
... Keyway broaching with EWS-Slot
... Broaching Tool for ID keyways, splines, and slotting. Live tool lathe powered. - MD Tooling

i also have codes for broaching with Z axis, optimized to the teeth :)

this is the parameter area :) kindly !

Code:
[COLOR=#008000]OS01 ( broaching internal / external grooves ) ( some infos @ bottom ) [/COLOR][COLOR=#008000]

( main     values )    V1 = 41.2   ( start diameter   ) ( for internal grooves : V1 < V2 )
                         V2 = 59.38  ( end   ... ...    ) ( for external grooves : V1 > V2 )
                         V3 = 0.03   ( radial cut depth ) ( >0 )
                         V4 = 10     ( how many grooves )
                         V5 = 5      ( Z start )          ( Z start > Z end ) 
                         V6 = -73    ( Z end   )
                         V7 = 9      ( turret post )
                         V8 = 0.6    ( X axis disengage; input 0 to return @ start diameter ) ( >=0 )

( auxiliar values )    V9 = 1      ( groove to begin with ) ( default = 1 )
                        V10 = 0      ( angular shift        ) ( default = 0 )

( * )[/COLOR]

Back