What's new
What's new

Brother Alarm 5049

LostFab

Aluminum
Machine is 2004 Brother S2B-0
Today is threw an alarm that is not included in the manual (stops at 47xx). "5049 **THERMAL (COOLANT)"
Google search went no where, called Yamazen and they said "I dunno let me get back to you"
Has anybody else seen this alarm? I heard a pop and then the machine stopped running but stayed powered on. Opened the cabinet and it smelled kinda funny but I don't go in there much so it might always smell like that. Everything look in order so I turned it off and back on and the alarm is still present and the machine can't do anything.

Sounds like the thermal overload for the coolant pump tripped. It's inside the control cabinet. Trace the wires from the pump right to it. Pump or wires shorted?

You nailed it!
There was a tiny reset button I never would have noticed that needed to be pressed.
Assuming this alarm probably means my coolant filter needs to be replaced?

EDIT***
Checked for shorted wires at the switch, and I cleaned the filter element to get me by until a new one shows up, that was definitely pretty gross.
Unfortunately that overload keeps tripping when I try and run coolant, so its not just a dirty filter...

You nailed it!
There was a tiny reset button I never would have noticed that needed to be pressed.
Assuming this alarm probably means my coolant filter needs to be replaced?

EDIT***
Checked for shorted wires at the switch, and I cleaned the filter element to get me by until a new one shows up, that was definitely pretty gross.
Unfortunately that overload keeps tripping when I try and run coolant, so its not just a dirty filter...

Possibly a bad motor or the impeller has sucked up enough crap to put a high load on the motor. Might want to check for a shop rag in the impeller opening. (Don't ask lol)

The pump seems to spin freely by hand, and the bottom of the tank is relatively clean so I don't think it got fouled up.
Disconnected the pump in the cabinet and when I trigger coolant there's no alarm anymore so it must be a bad pump?
Seems odd to me that a dead pump would trigger an overheating alarm.
The label is completely faded and illegible, anybody have specs on a replacement? I still haven't gotten any info from Yamazen.

Back