What's new
What's new

Brother guys -- how to get toolchange retract to go at a feed speed instead of rapid?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

Brother Speedio S700X1, from 2016

Just added a spindle probe, and until I can determine for sure that the probe will be OK rapiding up and down, I want to toolchange it at some feedrate, like 256.

Here is what my POST puts out for a regular toolchange:

G090G17G40G64G69G80
G55G100T21L3X-.25Y.25
N21G43H21Z.1
** do something interesting **
G91G0G28Z0.
M01

I got the entry to run at a feed speed no problem, with this:

G1F256G90G17G40G64G69G80

I tried this for the retract:

G91G1F256G28Z0.

but this still goes back home at rapids speed. Is there a way to go back home at some specified feed speed?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Have you tried setting the probe as a 'Heavy Tool'? I don't know if this slows every movement down but it is intended to slow a few things down to not beat things up if you are running a tool at the limits of size and weight. I haven't tested it, I don't remember anything about it at this point, but that might be worth checking. Maybe someone else uses that setting.

You can also set a tool to have a max speed, so you don't do any centrifugal science experiments with your probe.

Mike, I don't think you should be concerned about the Z axis speed with the spindle probe. Our clients run these full speed all of the time. It is amazing how rugged they are. Now if you must adjust it, I found three M codes that appear to adjust the Z axis speed when it is up in the tool change area. M290 is standard full speed setting, M291, M292 and M293 are three levels of adjustment. The settings for these are in the User Parameters, Switch 2, parameter #s 592, 593 and 594. I don't think this will slow down the Z home move though. Maybe G1 G53 Z18.897 F? . Then a code such as M291, then a tool change command. Again, I don't think it is necessary. Happy probing/machining!

Force on the probe would be due to acceleration (F=m*a). The force should be the same, just a different duration when the machine accelerates to your feedrate or to the rapid speed. Now if brother has different acceleration profiles for feed and rapid, that changes things.

If you really want to control the feedrate, feed it to the appropriate z-position in G53 coordinates before the toolchange code.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Just added a spindle probe, and until I can determine for sure that the probe will be OK rapiding up and down, I want to toolchange it at some feedrate, like 256.

You really don't need to worry about it. Renishaw has run Robodrills for some time; they are quite aware of what turret machines put their probes through (both Z axis acceleration, and the general spiny around business).

Also, it isn't like tool change arms on most VMCs aren't equally as violent as a Speedio's Z axis...

I believe that possibly G28 and certainly G53 can not be given a feed rate. Rapid only.

Like others have suggested, I really think there is nothing to worry about with you probe.

You really don't need to worry about it. Renishaw has run Robodrills for some time; they are quite aware of what turret machines put their probes through (both Z axis acceleration, and the general spiny around business).

Also, it isn't like tool change arms on most VMCs aren't equally as violent as a Speedio's Z axis...

Actually Haas machines with the smtc run the tool change on the probe at a reduced rate, similar to assigning it as a heavy tool. Not sure on other MTB's but I agree that I can't imagine a straight Z move in rapid would have any effect on the probe.

Back