What's new
What's new

Brother R450 purge/bleed the tool wash?

Mtndew

Diamond
Is there a way to purge or bleed the return line that goes back into the coolant tank on the tool wash system?
It's getting pretty loud when we change tools. It's just air,but it's not normal.
The tool wash container appears to be full when looking at the vertical indicator tube.

The in line filter didn't look bad, we cleaned it.
Is there a filter inside that tool wash canister also? The one above the filter?

I don't think so, but I would replace the inline filter, use the wash gun to back pressure the wash system to make sure nothing has clogged it up. If you still see an issue time to start working backwards taking the system apart to make sure nothing has made above the filter. Otherwise call a real tech.

The tool wash filter is a yarn filter at the bottom left of the machine. You can't really clean them, they are a replacement item. We've had some issues with that system. It is an air-over pressure system. So it fills up the canister with coolant, then pressurizes it with air so you get a high pressure rinse at the spindle. Normally it's a valve misbehaving when you have issues. Either the dump valve, the valve at the side of the spindle or the valve that pressurizes the tank (I think it's the top valve on the valve bank if I remember right). It's really a pretty simple system when you figure it out.

I have an email into my local tech, but... :crickets:
Here is a photo of my tool wash, is that vertical tube supposed to be 100% full to the top?
The hose that goes into the coolant tank spits out air, then a small stream of coolant after every tool change.
We'll change the yarn filter, but honestly it wasn't bad.

IMG_20190828_082642.jpgIMG_20190828_082642.jpg

My S700 is NOT all the way up to the top but the air purge is pretty loud and sometimes it will even make a "whistle" of sorts....like blowing across the top of a little brown jug. Fun fact - one job we run has a series of 4 rapid tool changes (i.e. tool change, drill one quick hole, tool change, drill one more quick hole, tool change, etc.) Each time the coolant level in the sight glass drops 1-1.5" or so and does not fill up quick enough so at the last tool change in the sequence the coolant level would fall below the sensor and alarm out...so we added a couple second dwell in-between one or two of the tool changes to give it some time to fill back up :ack2: it's not the end of the world for us but I know there are people quoting on seconds...

in the expanded tool data screen, you can specify for each tool whether or not you want the tool wash active. If your tool holders are not all Big Plus, maybe you can try turning it off for one non-Dual Contact tool in the program? Another possibilty is the 'yarn' filter is getting full and slowing down the replenishing.

Last edited:
in the expanded tool data screen, you can specify for each tool whether or not you want the tool wash active. If your tool holders are not all Big Plus, maybe you can try turning it off for one non-Dual Contact tool in the program? Another possibilty is the 'yarn' filter is getting full and slowing down the replenishing.

We're waiting on parts to be sawed, so right now the machine is sitting. I'll definitely change that filter.
(All of our holders are dual contact)

Both times I heard that whistle in my 650, I changed the yarn fiter and everything went back to normal.
If you let it go long enough, you will start getting an alarm. I can't remember exactly what the alarm was.
The whistle snuck up on me real slow, so I didn't really notice it at first.
But, when it immediately went away after changing that filter? AHA! :fight:
The first time I changed the yarn filter it was so bad I had a hard time getting it out of the darn can!

20180924_135339.jpg

I started writing the date on a piece of blue tape on the can after that and changing it every 5 weeks.
That was a pretty realistic interval.

Both times I heard that whistle in my 650, I changed the yarn fiter and everything went back to normal.
If you let it go long enough, you will start getting an alarm. I can't remember exactly what the alarm was.
The whistle snuck up on me real slow, so I didn't really notice it at first.
But, when it immediately went away after changing that filter? AHA! :fight:
The first time I changed the yarn filter it was so bad I had a hard time getting it out of the darn can!

View attachment 264426

I started writing the date on a piece of blue tape on the can after that and changing it every 5 weeks.
That was a pretty realistic interval.

lol damn! Our filter hasn't been nowhere near that bad.

lol damn! Our filter hasn't been nowhere near that bad.

Yea, that was the first time I had the can off. I got that alarm I mentioned, and called Jeff Altimus.
He said "Check the spindle wash filter. You have only had that thing for a month! You must be running the hell out of it!"
At the time I was filling a 330gal container with chips (and packing them with a tamper) every day.
I was averaging 1200lbs of chips per week off the Brother.

We had a similar problem, our tool wash reservoir wasn't filling at all.. in our case, it turned out to be the check valve attached to filter was stuck. after removal and cleaning, the problem was solved.

Back