What's new
What's new

Brother R650 table layout

Captdave

Titanium
Wanted to get some input from R650 users on this table layout and see if it looks good?

Also, the brochure says table load per side is 200KG or 300KG with parameter change, is the speed of rotation slowed to gain additional weight?

Can PM a solid model if needed.
TIABrother R650 17.5_ Vises v4.JPG

^ think it caps the rapids lower if the table mass is too high. think there was a thread on a that a few years ago here some were.

That looks very efficient. I hope you have a big pile of parts to machine. The 650 will really crank them out for you. Yes the pallet parameter does change the pallet change time slightly, maybe go from 3.4 to 4.4 seconds. First tool change and XY positioning can be done simultaneously though so essentially free. The parameter is based on weight. I will try it out at 300 kg and see what it does in the next day or so and let you know.

Hi Frank, I just want to insure that its 300kg per side not total table load? I should also mention that those are 17.5" vises not 20" that I have on hand.

That's the machine we're currently looking at getting to offload our "production" from one of our GenosM560 mills.
You getting one CaptDave?

Hi Frank, I just want to insure that its 300kg per side not total table load? I should also mention that those are 17.5" vises not 20" that I have on hand.

Yes the rating is per side. 440 lbs standard and 660 max with parameter change. If you are using Orange vises, they are 109 lbs each. Three will leave you 113 lbs per side for your parts and risers etc. at full speed. I believe the parameter can be set to other values besides min and max, such as 210 kg or 220 etc. I will check that also this morning and let you know.

Sent! thanks.
I replied to your email. Other than the height of the vises, your setup will work well. Your operators are going to like the ergonomics of this machine as well if you go the R650 route. The operator door opening could be bigger, but with 5" of risers for my vises it puts the vise wrenches roughly 5" taller than my Haas VF-2ss and 5" closer to the operator.

Wanted to get some input from R650 users on this table layout and see if it looks good?

Also, the brochure says table load per side is 200KG or 300KG with parameter change, is the speed of rotation slowed to gain additional weight?

Can PM a solid model if needed.
TIAView attachment 222467

Watch your layout if you are going off the Brother brochure for dimensions. E.G: 100mm does not equal 3.9"

That's the machine we're currently looking at getting to offload our "production" from one of our GenosM560 mills.
You getting one CaptDave?

Actually we were looking at two R650's.The salesman was out yesterday and we discussed it but after looking at the quote optioned out the same as our M560, and finding fresh batteries for the defibrillator, my interest level has dropped some.

Actually a MB 4000 with all the goodies, T stones, work holding/vises plus never having a worry of rigidity or HP, still comes in less.

Actually we were looking at two R650's.The salesman was out yesterday and we discussed it but after looking at the quote optioned out the same as our M560, and finding fresh batteries for the defibrillator, my interest level has dropped some.

Actually a MB 4000 with all the goodies, T stones, work holding/vises plus never having a worry of rigidity or HP, still comes in less.

Yeah same here, the price we got is actually more than the M560, and that's a R650 WITHOUT a conveyor!
But.. the 4 second part changeover is still a huge selling point in my eyes.

Yeah same here, the price we got is actually more than the M560, and that's a R650 WITHOUT a conveyor!
But.. the 4 second part changeover is still a huge selling point in my eyes.

IIRC, the chip conveyor and coolant tank was a little under 17K.

Yupper, the Speedio with the pallet changer kick butt. Until you run one, it's hard to believe how much difference they can make. I have a R450, and it's awesome. Plenty strong enough, also uses a fair bit less electricity. Actually bought the 450, then a 700, then a 500. Love putting op1 on pallet side 1, op2 pallet side 2, and getting finished parts in the pipeline so quickly. Essentially zero load time.

Last edited:
One other thought, I have 2.8" in X travel on either side of the outboard vises, Is that going to be a problem for the tool probe? On the Okuma, we have it set really close to the X travel limit and its been fine there.

Just checked the pallet with the parameter change. At the full load 600kg setting it added about 1/2 second, measured with the stop watch on my phone. Barely perceptible. The tool setter can be mounted anywhere on the table as long as the center of the contact face (20mm Dia.) is relatively close to where the tool will contact it. The probes we typically install have a straight down parallel plunge so you can actually touch off anywhere on the face and get good measurements. The probe base is approximately 2" square so only about 1" of it needs to be in the travel area. If you want to use the probe for tool breakage detection you will need one for each pallet. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Check out this thread about one of our clients out here. Particularly from post 37 on.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...os-m560v-330911/?highlight=Okuma+genos+560+fs

He says an R650 is his next machine.

I've seen most YouTube videos on the Brother machines, and the one thing that stands out is the 6k rpm tapping.
Sure you can tap all day long that fast at 1xD.
I can't remember the last time I saw a print that wanted a 1xD tapped hole lol.
I'd like to see real world tapping of an M10 tap going 35-40mm deep into a blind hole. :D

I totally get all the reasons that they are truly awesome machines, and we do drill and tap a ton of holes but just about every part we deal with has a circular pocket from 2.7" to 3.4" going 1.5" to 2.5" and some as much as 3.0" deep. This is where we need HP and rigidity.

Now that is the video I want to see!

Back