Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trochoidalpath View Post
    I am not a MechE, but I did the math on a 50mm thick 6061 subplate hanging 199mm (the max?) off the side of the Speedio table. Even if you assume the 70 kg weight of the rotary is a point load at the end you get <0.002 mm of deflection. So that's cool. Assuming I can do math

Is there a reason to have the face of the rotary table at the X- travel limit, or is it OK to have it set back from there? I think I could move it backwards about 40mm, which would give me some extra clearance if I'm running two vises. Realistically if I have a small centric vise on the rotary, the "negative X" is not going to be a problem, and any jigs I make can just be a little bit thicker. Or am I missing something?
    Not sure which rotary you're running but most of the 4ths are more like 30 to 40kg. No issue with sticking it out farther if you're good with it. I've always just kind of liked the idea of some of the weight being directly on the table. If you have a couple of hundred pounds of vises on the table that would minimize any 'lift'.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do note though, that it is very likely that hanging a 4th off of the Y axis is probably impacting machine accuracy. IIRC, a study on Robodrills with some crazy accurate Heidenhain 2d plane metrology gear bolted to it found table weight had a massive impact on accuracy, as did the distribution of that weight on the table.

To be fair, we are talking tenths, but a definitive measurable impact. Some of that can be mitigated by slowing the rapids and feeds down (especially on circular interpolation).

I'm not pointing this out as a relevant data point; I think most Speedio applications are just fine with an out-of-balance table with <200lb worth of crap on it, more putting this in the thread for the people who need to chase those tenths with their machines.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did this on all my Chevaliers (3x X850mm, 1x X660mm).
    6082-T6 and it wasn't an issue - earliest machine was bought 2005, and is still going strong.
    Wrought rather than cast because of grain.
    Grid pattern for vices and fixtures pre-designed and drill bushes for locations (their holes in plate reamed) bushes loctited in and M12 threads wire inserted.
    Overhang...i'd looked up resonant frequencies before deciding and this was a 4:1 which for a 55mm thick plate has been zero issues.
    By memory...1:1 overhang had a resonate frequency of 2000hz (this maybe bollox....i'm remembering back to 2005 and not sure where my books to check now are LoL).

Edit - to be clear, this gave the full X machine travel, and rotaries were on baynet connectors to allow removal on and off (when people could be bothered...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg   capture2.jpg  

4. Likes cnctoolcat liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And i just found one of the Feelers (bad) photo (#30 Drill/Tap machine) - again 6082-T6 but 40mm thick and I stuck within the 4:1 ratio.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've used 1" MIC6 for all the subplates I built for Brother machines except 2 and they are 6061. One of those has 2x Sankyo rotaries hanging off of one end of the table. It's been in automated production since 2007 and there have been no issues.

7. Likes 2outof3 liked this post