What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio 4th axis shortest path vs rewind

ekrolop

Plastic
Happy Sunday everyone.
I've been working around an annoying issue in the Speedio control for quite some time now, but I've just scrapped a very expensive part due to a simultaneous 4th axis G1 move taking the shortest path across A0 vs taking the commanded interpolated path the long way around.

There MUST be a setting in the control to prevent this happening but I've had no luck in finding it.

If anyone has info to share on this, or a menu I should have a look at, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

In Cali you should have tons of support from Yamazen, I'd be giving them a ring first and foremost.

I'm not sure I fully understand though, how your control moved but did not follow the programmed G01 move?

FWIW, there can be a conflict between your CAM's directional output commands and your rotary axis. The result could be what appears to be a shortcut to zero, but in actuality, it is moving the remaining distance in what it deems is the correct direction.

I experienced this quite surprisingly after using my rotary Haas 5C for quite a few years without any particular problems that I knew of. But one day, I had to drill a hole off axis on a certain 4th axis style part, and that was when I discovered there was a difference between what I thought was CCW rotation, and what my CAM output. This transformed my part from a left handed version to a right handed version. So I had to modify my post for that part, inverting the direction of the rotary axis.

Can you provide more detail about exactly what happened?

Off the top of my head, this sounds like an issue better solved in your post processor and not in the control. The C-00 is basically always going to interpolate the shortest path; this is not a sophisticated multi-axis centric control that is going to have a lot of tricks up it's sleeve to deal with singlarity issues.

What I have pictured in my mind is that you were making a radial cut around a workpiece rotating in A, and instead of it going the way you intended, it went (rotationally) in the other direction. I think this is best done as a post fix one of two ways:'

1- Tweak the maximum cord length settings in Fusion (IIRC, you are on fusion, yes?) which would break the arc up into multiple segments, which would lead the control to always interpolate in the proper direction.

2- Convert or output all arcs as linear motion, which would effectively do the same as #1. Your Speedio can crunch code like a motherfucker, so go ahed and set a really tight tolerance and turn smoothing off.

Can you provide more detail about exactly what happened?

Off the top of my head, this sounds like an issue better solved in your post processor and not in the control. The C-00 is basically always going to interpolate the shortest path; this is not a sophisticated multi-axis centric control that is going to have a lot of tricks up it's sleeve to deal with singlarity issues.

What I have pictured in my mind is that you were making a radial cut around a workpiece rotating in A, and instead of it going the way you intended, it went (rotationally) in the other direction. I think this is best done as a post fix one of two ways:'

1- Tweak the maximum cord length settings in Fusion (IIRC, you are on fusion, yes?) which would break the arc up into multiple segments, which would lead the control to always interpolate in the proper direction.

2- Convert or output all arcs as linear motion, which would effectively do the same as #1. Your Speedio can crunch code like a motherfucker, so go ahed and set a really tight tolerance and turn smoothing off.

Thanks to everyone who responded and sorry for going MIA on this thread --I found a workaround temporarily.

Everything you just said here Greg makes absolute sense, and though I'm not using Fusion for this particular work I'll figure out which settings control maximum cord length and go from there.

Thanks again!

Back