What's new
What's new

Brother Speedio Firmware Update

Peroni

Cast Iron
Trying to update the firmware on a S700X1 Speedio from V6.011 to V10. Yamazen sent me five files, init_param, verupimage, verupimage01, verupimageA and verupimageA01 and I don't know which ones to use. The provided instructions said only two files should be on the USB drive I use to update, init_param and verupimage. I asked the guy who sent me these and he didn't know but referred me to another fellow at Yamazen. He helped me backup the machine parameters but could not answer my question about the extra files. I'm wondering why was I sent 5 files when only 2 are mentioned in the update instructions? Did I not download something right or do I ignore those extra 3 files and use only the two as directed?

Trying to update the firmware on a S700X1 Speedio from V6.011 to V10. Yamazen sent me five files, init_param, verupimage, verupimage01, verupimageA and verupimageA01 and I don't know which ones to use. The provided instructions said only two files should be on the USB drive I use to update, init_param and verupimage. I asked the guy who sent me these and he didn't know but referred me to another fellow at Yamazen. He helped me backup the machine parameters but could not answer my question about the extra files. I'm wondering why was I sent 5 files when only 2 are mentioned in the update instructions? Did I not download something right or do I ignore those extra 3 files and use only the two as directed?

I believe the other Varup images are for R, F, and M series Speedios, but the naming is dumb. If you have an S series machine, just follow the instructions.

I believe the other Varup images are for R, F, and M series Speedios, but the naming is dumb. If you have an S series machine, just follow the instructions.

Thank you sir! Machine is updated to V10 and advanced high accuracy mode is enabled. I'll plug some numbers in tomorrow morning and have at at.

One more question for you. This machine came with none of the B mode user parameters filled in. I've changed them up some messing around, do I return them all to empty fields or must I track down the values that would have been included with the V10 firmware?

Wow. I know so many machine distributors offer updates on a regular basis that we suck in comparison.

I have got updated software from Haas , Mori and Fadal and all of them had there local tech come out and do it for free,, non of them sent me a
USB and non matching instructions and expected me to have to bring it up on a machinist Forum to get help.

One more question for you. This machine came with none of the B mode user parameters filled in. I've changed them up some messing around, do I return them all to empty fields or must I track down the values that would have been included with the V10 firmware?

In the Machine Params/High Accuracy/Common page, those figures all need to be reverted back to factory, save the 8003 number mentioned in the PDF. Those common params feed the High Accuracy mode the underlying acceleration/deceleration data for the machine itself, and need to be set. If you changed them, your firmware burn-in book will have the originals listed. V10, V11, V12 firmware all added some new ones, but they aren't totally relevant, do don't worry too much if you params in the machine you can't find in the Burn In Book.

The figures you types into User Parameters/High Accuracy for the old Mode A and B settings are no longer relevant. You can still call them with an M28x call, and cancel them with M289, but you won't be calling them with the new Quick Settings system.

I have got updated software from Haas , Mori and Fadal and all of them had there local tech come out and do it for free,, non of them sent me a
USB and non matching instructions and expected me to have to bring it up on a machinist Forum to get help.

That is awesome. We will have to try harder. In my 32 years of selling machines, I don't recall offering updated firmware for the intent of just giving extra features that became available at a later date, instead of fixing a parameter issue that helps a customer with a non functioning machine. I guess I just have never sold the right machines. :)

Haas did that for you? Wow.... my local HFO never came close to doing anything like that for me.
I paid some serious money to Methods to try and get some stuff working that was already installed in the control. The guy they sent out ended up on the phone for a few hours.

In the Machine Params/High Accuracy/Common page, those figures all need to be reverted back to factory, save the 8003 number mentioned in the PDF. Those common params feed the High Accuracy mode the underlying acceleration/deceleration data for the machine itself, and need to be set. If you changed them, your firmware burn-in book will have the originals listed. V10, V11, V12 firmware all added some new ones, but they aren't totally relevant, do don't worry too much if you params in the machine you can't find in the Burn In Book.

The figures you types into User Parameters/High Accuracy for the old Mode A and B settings are no longer relevant. You can still call them with an M28x call, and cancel them with M289, but you won't be calling them with the new Quick Settings system.

You're my favorite.

Yeah, but what did Doosan do for you? :stirthepot:

It is pretty funny in a sad way. You don't miss a chance to say or imply something negative about Brother or Yamazen. BUT YOU NEVER OWNED ONE.
You posted you would not own another Haas after they took back a machine, and got another company (Doosan?) to take back a machine - yet the one you always badmouth you never owned.

It is pretty funny in a sad way. You don't miss a chance to say or imply something negative about Brother or Yamazen. BUT YOU NEVER OWNED ONE.
You posted you would not own another Haas after they took back a machine, and got another company (Doosan?) to take back a machine - yet the one you always badmouth you never owned.

Two machines from two different manufacturers pulled out of the same shop, how often does that happen? I suspect the next time D.D machine goes looking for a new machine the vendor would run for the hills, at least I would.

We (insert machine vendor) reserve the right to not sell machines to potential whiney customers.

IME it is incredibly rare for a builder to update firmware/software versions unless it is to fix a buggy version (free) or so an option that was not supported by the previous version could be installed (with purchase). Yamazen sending out free version upgrades to add features is pretty incredible support even if one has to install it DIY style. You get the added benefit of learning a bit more about the control in the process.

I have had dealing in the past with both Andy and Yamazen ,,,,

Years ago Yamazen had a dealer up here in seattle area and I ordered a Takisawa 8" lathe from them and was told it was in stock in Cal and would be here in a week ,,, After many phone calls and Delays by Yamazen the machine got here a month later and after getting put in the shop it turned out some dipstick had shipped a 24 station turret and not a 12 station like I had ordered a month earlier ,,, so I told them they had a week to get me the right machine and two weeks later I had to call them and tell them to give me my money back so I could buy a Mori …. and they "REFUSED" to refund me , lucky for my mori stepped in and got the money back …

That was right before Yamazen closed there seattle office and screwed everyone that had got a machine from them thinking they had a local dealer for support.

Fast forward to a couple years ago I was Vary interested in a R650X1 and drove 3 1/2 hours and spent the night in Portland to look at one and Andy played the normal sales man crap and told me I only had tell the end of the month to order it before the price went up ,,, so I spent a couple days trying to work out the details on 4th axis for it and had everything all figured out days before the end of the month and at the last moment Andy being a sales man went and played with the numbers and jacked the price by about 10K and when I called him about it I just got some line of crap about how good of a deal I was still going to be getting ...

so yes I have had dealing with Yamazen and Andy

Years ago Yamazen had a dealer up here in seattle area and I ordered a Takisawa 8" lathe from them and was told it was in stock in Cal and would be here in a week ,,, After many phone calls and Delays by Yamazen the machine got here a month later and after getting put in the shop it turned out some dipstick had shipped a 24 station turret and not a 12 station like I had ordered a month earlier ,,, so I told them they had a week to get me the right machine and two weeks later I had to call them and tell them to give me my money back so I could buy a Mori …. and they "REFUSED" to refund me , lucky for my mori stepped in and got the money back …

So that is *another* machine that got put on your floor and you got pulled?

I remember that old quip: If by the end of the day, you've decided everyone you dealt with was an asshole, you are probably the asshole.

Andy being a sales man went and played with the numbers and jacked the price by about 10K and when I called him about it I just got some line of crap about how good of a deal I was still going to be getting ...

Andy isn't just a good salesman, he's one of the best in the business. He likely sniffed out what a post-install nightmare you were liable to be and upped the quote by $10k to cover his expected costs. At this point, your probability of returning a machine tool is what, 50%?

Back