Brother Speedio Remote MPG - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    I recommend an auto-door for an R machine. If the door is open, feed the beast.
    I get that. But, that isn't my problem.
    Staying on top of the coolant in my &$%^@#* Mayfran tank is a royal bitch! If it gets even a little low, the TSC pump is lazy and it will alarm.
    Now that I have optimized the chip-flush, it is even worse. I could punch Greg right in the mouth for selling me the wrong conveyor/tank. Dipshit!
    Don't even get me started! You need to figure out how to obtain and retain some good guys @ your AZ branch Andy.

The huge tank parked behind the robot, I can run the chip-flush all the time. Like, the only time it isn't running is when the robot load door is open.
    The level only drops about 1/2" when the flush is running. It is glorious.

The chip flush on the Mayfran can literally drop the tank level from full to half in about 30 secs. Needless to say, if the tank is only at half, that means empty.
    Last edited by wheelieking71; 02-28-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    Attachment 314890
    Attachment 314891

This is the little PCB with the rotary switches on it. Really simple to replace this if only the MFG still existed. SIGH.

If there is one thing I know, if I dropped it once, I will drop it again, so repairing this as my spare is still my goal.

If you take some pictures of the markings on the rotary switches we can probably help you find a source. If you are not able to solder in a new rotary switch then you can send it to me and I will do it for you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I get that. But, that isn't my problem.
    Staying on top of the coolant in my &$%^@#* Mayfran tank is a royal bitch! If it gets even a little low, the TSC pump is lazy and it will alarm.
    Now that I have optimized the chip flush, it is even worse. I could punch Greg right in the mouth for selling me the wrong conveyor/tank. Dipshit!
    Don't even get me started! You need to figure out how to obtain and retain some good guys @ your AZ branch Andy.
    I can be an asshole. Difficult to work for.

4. Likes Houndogforever liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a positive note,, I received my brand spankin new MPG today. Plugged it in and it works fine. AMazing what $920 does for you.

On an additional even more positive note, I re-fit that rotary switch back on there and epoxy'd the little bugger all around. Let it dry for 3 hours and wow, that damn thing works again!

Awesome, now when I buy my NEXT Brother, I won't need to add the MPG to the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If most of your parts are aluminum, than no real need to fuss with the spindle override.

If you are making 99% of your programs off line, than no good reason to fuss with spindle override.

No reason, in fact could be dangerous having spindle override. We already discussed wash gun.
    That's entirely your opinion. It's wrong, but it's your opinion.

7. Likes wheelieking71, N/A liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    That's entirely your opinion. It's wrong, but it's your opinion.
    I think we share a similar outlook.

I may be wrong but I am never in doubt.

Over 70% of the machines I have sold for Brother do not have spindle override. Customers just don't ask for it.

9. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think we share a similar outlook.

I may be wrong but I am never in doubt.

Over 70% of the machines I have sold for Brother do not have spindle override. Customers just don't ask for it.
    How many of those machines went into a job shop versus a production house? I would think a job shop would need an override and an MPG. A production house not so much, especially if they're just adding another machine to the line to run proven programs.
    Also I wonder how many of those customers wish they would have opted for an override?

11. Likes 2outof3, DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look up the part number that is on the side of the switch, either buy the same of find an equivalent, and replace. Your pic doesn't show it. You should be able to find something from digikey or mouser.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many of those machines went into a job shop versus a production house? I would think a job shop would need an override and an MPG. A production house not so much, especially if they're just adding another machine to the line to run proven programs.
    Also I wonder how many of those customers wish they would have opted for an override?
    4.5 years in, mix of production and job shop, I don't miss spindle override. I'm usually like, "More RPM's PLZ". Most work is done in Al, and right at 16k, except drilling and tapping. If the spindle override started at 100% and went up to 200%, then I'd want it .

Now, I might not miss it because I've never had it. You get used to what you have.

Feed rate override, now that's important. It would be way more sporting to proof a new program without feed rate override.

Regards.

Mike

14. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many job shops but most do 80% non ferrous.

16. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do big mix of aluminum, plastics, 303 and 304ss. Very rarely do any other steels. I have my speeds all done in CAM.
    I can only think of a couple times when I would have used spindle override. MPG on the other hand is a must have.

Unless your making small chips, the default coolant tank is too small. Yamazen Dallas was kind enough to give me the larger tank at NC.

My.02

18. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also rarely use the spindle override on my 30 taper machine. I used it recently for the first time in as far back as I can remember. Doing a 5/8-11 threadmill for the first time. When it got in the cut, it had a touch of chatter. Override down to 80% and it sweetened right up. Edit the program for the next part and go.

Handy? yes.
    Necessary? no.

20. Likes Chris Attebery, BROTHERFRANK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe its not absolutely necessary, but even if its handy you think they would throw it in! What would it cost them? $10 for nice quality switch and knob? Surely they can find room for this somewhere in the budget of a $100k machine. Things like this are such a piss off for me.

Could always be locked out with a parameter if they didnt want operators messing with it for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    Maybe its not absolutely necessary, but even if its handy you think they would throw it in! What would it cost them? $10 for nice quality switch and knob? Surely they can find room for this somewhere in the budget of a $100k machine. Things like this are such a piss off for me.

Could always be locked out with a parameter if they didnt want operators messing with it for some reason.
    Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say it is a $50 switch/knob. Well, you can count on about a 1,000% mark-up if you want to buy it from Yamazen.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and say it is a $50 switch/knob. Well, you can count on about a 1,000% mark-up if you want to buy it from Yamazen.
    Yamazen did not build the machine. I am starting to feel that you are feeling ripped off when doing business with us. I thought you felt the machines give you value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yamazen did not build the machine. I am starting to feel that you are feeling ripped off when doing business with us. I thought you felt the machines give you value.
    They do! Huge value. I am becoming a huge fan of Brother machines. In their element, I can't imagine how anything could compare.
    ROI on the FLEX cell is well under 1 year. It never works out that way. We all know that. But still, the value of that thing is crazy (as long as that job holds out).
    As for my comments in this thread being directed @ Yamazen. The reason is: Yamazen is the only line to Brother.
    I don't know who sets the price? Brother or Yamazen? But, I do know, if I want to buy that knob that just plugs in, Yamazen is who I call.
    And, regardless of who sets the price (probably Brother) the price is too high. Don't take it personally. It isn't directed at you (see my email for that, LOL)

Maybe you don't see all the positive comments I throw out there as well. It ain't all bad. I have been praising Brothers for over 3 years now.
    Rohdie was telling me the other day, I may have more Brothers than anybody in the valley except maybe Cassavant? I have no clue. But its obvious I am super happy with them.
    But in the big picture, good, bad, or otherwise, I call it like it is. We can't just wax poetic 100% of the time and ignore the aspects that are not great.

25. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Guest Guest

Star Micronics is the same way, but on top of adding the extra zero on the price they also make it time consuming to order parts from them. I am referring to off the shelf parts, not specials. I am probably like most, where I don't mind paying more for the convenience of buying from the OEM, but I have a tipping point on price where I will match the item up and buy from a distributor of the product line of the item I need. I seriously wonder what they use to set prices.

I realize time is worth money, but there also is principle involved. If I can call up and ask for a spindle encoder belt for model # 12345, give them a CC# and be done in 90 seconds I could probably be fine with paying $50 or so, but when they want $150, I will spend the time to hunt one down knowing that is a $15 item.

P.S. Another vote for spindle override. So much easier than program edits.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wsurfer View Post
    the default coolant tank is too small. Yamazen Dallas was kind enough to give me the larger tank at NC.
    Same here, very nice of them. They were left over from a big order that went with conveyors I believe.

So, can you add the spindle override in the field? It would be really helpful for me when I get chatter or odd/long stick out tools. I go back and forth to the computer to adjust which is pretty annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    So, can you add the spindle override in the field? It would be really helpful for me when I get chatter or odd/long stick out tools. I go back and forth to the computer to adjust which is pretty annoying.
    Yes, open the pendant, and it plugs right in. Super simple.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, open the pendant, and it plugs right in. Super simple.
    Hmm, I don't think my pendant (MPG) has a spot for it. My main panel does have a spot.

My MPG looks like so (or pretty close):

20160720_153237.jpg