What's new
What's new

Brother TC229 Spindle air blow functionality

SBAER

Hot Rolled
I have a Brother TC229 that I converted to Linux CNC. There are still some bugs, mostly involving the toolchange. There is an air line hooked up to a solenoid that appears to blow air at the base of the spindle. Is this air blow supposed to be on as a new tool is inserted into the spindle? There is another airline that seems to bleed air in the spindle all the time (not hooked up to solenoid but has a regulator). I have never seen a stock Bother machine work so I am guessing as to how I should set up these air blows.

Thanks

Yes you are correct. There is a constant air purge through the regulator to keep coolant out of the bearings. The other air port that is through the solenoid cleans out the taper and tool holder on tool change. This only comes on when the spindle goes up into the ATC area (above Z home). there is a hole in the spindle taper that must align with the air connection when the spindle is oriented. It is possible to have the orientation 180 degrees out so the hole is opposite the air connection.

i think there are 3 switches on the side of your z axis, one for a signal is bottom of ATC zone, next is air purge, next is top of ATC zone. (could be wrong on your machine though).

The positive air is very important to have active and not over-pressured and feed with clean dry air, some newer machines have a very slow drip luber with veliceite? 6 (spindle oil) but brother may have not done this since they tend to have kept everything simpler. You could ditch the switches all together or use them to error check is the head is in the right position and trigger the ATC air-blow just by Z position in your ladder, like "IF "Z-position" is greater than xxx.xxx THEN, and Switch 123 is made, rung is true so trigger output solenoid for ATC air blow"

SBAER, I sent you a PM as well on your machine.

Yes you are correct. There is a constant air purge through the regulator to keep coolant out of the bearings. The other air port that is through the solenoid cleans out the taper and tool holder on tool change. This only comes on when the spindle goes up into the ATC area (above Z home). there is a hole in the spindle taper that must align with the air connection when the spindle is oriented. It is possible to have the orientation 180 degrees out so the hole is opposite the air connection.

Hi Guys, sorry for bringing this subject back after 5 years. I just recently acquired a TC229 with all the airline disconnected from the back and trying to figure out how to get the ATC and spindle connected, I tried looking for manuals and instruction online without luck. Images of what air connections at the back of the machine below. Thanks in advance.

Shared album - Allan Tolentino - Google Photos

Attachments

• IMG-0775.jpg
    IMG-0775.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 45
Hi Guys, sorry for bringing this subject back after 5 years. I just recently acquired a TC229 with all the airline disconnected from the back and trying to figure out how to get the ATC and spindle connected, I tried looking for manuals and instruction online without luck. Images of what air connections at the back of the machine below. Thanks in advance.

Hard to tell from those pics but it looke like everything is hooked up. the item in the third picture doesn't look factory. Basically if you look at the spindle face you see a yellowish looking airline (used to be white) and a black airline. The yellow one is going to the regulator. This is the spindle air purge. regulated down to just a trickle. The black airline is the taper air blast that comes on during ATC. The ATC itself uses no air. There is also solenoids on the wall of the cabinet you can see in the first picture. One of those is for the M8 coolant valve. If you go on MDI and do M8 and M9 you should see one of those solenoids cycling. Where are you in So Cal? We have plenty of help available to you. I hope your machine is Gcode and not conversational. If you don't know put up a pic of the ffront control panel and keyboard and I can tell you.

Back