What's new
What's new

BT40 Bigplus tooling order (new machine)

Quattromike

Plastic
What is the bare minimum set of tooling you get for your vmc's ?
We're ordering up some tooling for a new machine for job shop, there is a few tools we need for particular jobs going in the machine but what does everyone use on daily basis that they wouldn't do without?

Hard to answer without knowing what you get into on a daily basis. I keep specific tooling setup in toolholders for 17-4/304 and aluminum/plastic.

You need:
- local tooling supplier so you can get stuff the same day because this list will change depend on the work
- facing tool
- chamfer tool
- ER collet system (I standardize with ER20 but my machine is small and so are my cuts when compared to the big boys)
- drill chucks (I'd get 3)
- saw arbor and some saws (just bought some Maritool carbide saws that are excellent value) to cut parts off for one and done setups
- square end mills in standard sizes/LOCs appropriate to the type of work you do
- bull nose end mills in standard sizes/LOCs appropriate to the type of work you do
- ball nose end mills in standard sizes/LOCs appropriate to the type of work you do
- set of drills (I prefer stub length)
- set of taps (I prefer form taps)
- set of threadmills

Buy nice stuff. I'm gonna endorse Maritool/Iscar/Guhring/etc here but just don't buy cheap stuff. Your tooling is your lifeblood and will definitely impact your part quality and more importantly your time. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Yep, that is pretty much the perfect list. A 3D edge finder is also on my list. A saw arbor is something I never thought of. I was thinking or a grooving tool or thread cutting tool.

Is the ER collet system still the best? I'm thinking of getting some HP3 slim line collet holders, is it a good idea to get both?

No such thing as "best" unless you have specifics. ER collets give you some flexibility which is nice when you don't have enough tool holders or you need to hold a 7/16" OD tool etc. Good collets can also have low runout which is nice with smaller tooling. Collets are nice to have. Standardize on a system size and go to town.

There are tons of threads on this very subject. Do some searching and you'll find them.

You can get about everything you need holder-wise from MariTool.

Helical Tool has your back for solid carbide

Mitsubishi for Inserted tool.

JUST MY 2¢

Yep, that is pretty much the perfect list. A 3D edge finder is also on my list. A saw arbor is something I never thought of. I was thinking or a grooving tool or thread cutting tool.

I do a lot of grooving, cut off using various HSS keyway cutters. YG-1 5 flutes for steel, 3 flute alupower jobber drill sets of all flavors. for aluminum/ plastics. I get all that stuff from Suncoast tool. Maritool carbide saws for bigger depths of cut. All their tool holders have been great.Also drill chucks I've been very happy with. Haimer 3D taster and extra tips. I have several single point thread mills .188,.25,.375,.5" cover a large range if threads. I don't do production, so would rather thread mill SS rather than risk breaking taps. Micrometer range up to 3" (in my case covers most things).

The Haimer 3D probe is the one we have our eye on. The machine tool supplier is sending us some tooling as a starter which is good �� will need a few others for some of the planned work

New machine coming next week and still have to order some starter tooling :ill:
The supplier is throwing in some tool holders with thru spindle coolant pull studs .

The Haimer is a huge step up from an edge finder. I'd also get a tool setter like this one:

Precision Magnetic Z Axis Zero Setter 2" Height x 0.001"

The ground pins allow you to touch off your Haimer at the same height as your tools really easily, so all your offsets are linked through your probe (Haimer).

Not sure what you have for workholding but I would also look there for snap jaws, talon grip or carvesmart jaws, or whatever. Just standardize on some kind of quick change jaw system and it pays for itself pretty quickly.

I will note that some people say to only use dual contact or standard taper, but I've had no issues with the tool blow in the Okuma or the washdown in the Brother with a mix of both. I'm sure a chip will get in somewhere eventually but I keep things pretty meticulously clean. I generally only buy dual contact where it matters: hydraulics, face mill arbors, side locks, etc. that are going to be doing heavy milling. Anything else I just use standard taper because I don't see the benefit when rigidity isn't an issue.

I like the idea of the zero setter with the ground spots for zeroing out the 3d probe but our supplier doesn’t have this. I think the ones they have you can lock out at the zero setting so may have to go with this for now.

In that case you can go to zero on the tool setter, move it out of the way, and use gage blocks to figure out the exact height above the table (or vise bed, or whatever). Make a small hardened block that height (well, you know within a few tenthousandths) and you've got your Haimer zero gauge. At the old shop we had these set up so they bolt to the table and are always there if we need to check zero.

We've opted for a 100mm straight jaw gerardi machine vice, we have a 150 and a 200 on a bigger machine so have opted for a more compact option on this. What are the work holding options people prefer to use for basic machining operations for small scale runs?

What are the work holding options people prefer to use for basic machining operations for small scale runs?

Give Orange Vice a look. The owner started it from scratch maybe 10 years ago in southern California, has grown his dream into an amazing business, and posts here on PM regularly. And, his company makes innovative, high-quality vices! (No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.)

TooCat

I set up new machines with an assortment of tool holders. Tooling is per production I plan to run. Back in spring I set up a new machine. Looked at Orange vises. Bought 4 Premium series from Glacern because that was all I really needed. Got extra jaws and vise keys too. 1 vise is on the new machine and other 3 still on the shipping pallet.

I hear what you’re saying , I don’t think we are in danger of buying too much at this point. Our government has a thing just now where if you buy new equipment you get 130% tax rebate, for tooling and you may say cutters are consumables but a one off purchase for initially setting up a machine would be claimable so it pays to get a good order in. Gonna see if I can get a decent polstore tooling cuboard as well.

We've opted for a 100mm straight jaw gerardi machine vice, we have a 150 and a 200 on a bigger machine so have opted for a more compact option on this. What are the work holding options people prefer to use for basic machining operations for small scale runs?

The Gerardi vices are better than anything else on the market for precision/squareness and pull down performance.

However, they suck for quick changeovers if you're doing batch work.

Chick vices are available in this country from 1mta if you want something more suitable for batch work.

WNT have some nice options if you have deep pockets.

In any case, a matched pair can be pretty invaluable for longer parts.

Back