Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

correct heat treat ones will fail the same way.

The way it fails makes me think it doesn't matter what material you're clamping, just how hard. I avoid using them on stainless because I'm probably going to crank it down tighter than with AL.

Doubling them up per Dan's comment should help. 50% less per talon might fix your problem right there.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had it happen, but only on 4340, 17-4, or some other tougher alloy. Never on Alum or mild steel.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen it happen when they were tightened too hard. Last time it was 4140 annealed; torqued the raw stock, walked into the office to grab my flash drive, came back out and the stock was sitting on the way cover, the top half of the talon was about ten feet out the door of the machine LOL. Glad it happened before green button time!

Looked the at wrench and someone had used it and returned it with much higher torque setting. That's on me for not checking but that is a symptom of little to no 5S in the shop; constantly grabbing stuff from one work station for another! It wasn't the first time I came back after a longer cycle, and the wrench had been fiddled with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've never broken a talon grip but then mostly used them on aluminum and plastic and always used multiple pairs per part so ....

My technique is to "over" tighten them, then back off and tighten them to a reasonable torque. The goal is to dimple the part to provide a grip hold and then reduce the force to not bend the part or over stress the talon grip.

Like I wrote, most of the time this has been in softer materials but I've done the same on stainless and steel with good results.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk