What's new
What's new

Anybody ever cut NI-RESIST D-2 material?

mchris7

Plastic
I have never cut this material. It appears from info online it may machine like a Gray Cast Iron. Does anybody have experience with this? Should I be afraid?

Chips are similar to cast iron but just like any nickel based material it is tough on your tools

Yup, machined tons of it. Cuts like cast iron, chips like it too. It is fairly tough, carbide won't last all that long but CBN will do nicely with it given the correct geometry insert.

Is it "Ni-resist" OR is it D2? Two different things. According to the responses however...There is actually a material called both? WTF?!?!?
Another WTF... a nickel based alloy that cuts like tough cast iron? Sounds too good to be true!!! Most Ni-based alloys make you DREAM of cutting tough cast iron!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno about the D2 part but just did a job for a pump repair that called out Ni-resist CAST IRON.Like others noted,cuts much like grey cast iron,just tougher on the tooling.If memory serves,I was running in the low to mid 400s on my surface footage with Iscar VNMG,can't recall the grade ATM but the insert held up OK...prolly could have pushed it harder I suppose,but I made quote and didn't eat up and bunch of inserts so as was well.

One thing to note,the stock came in rough as a cobb just like cast SS,you MUST and I mean must start your cut well under the crust or it will eat your insert up.I think I had to get something like .050" maybe a little more to the side under the crust before it began to machine OK.

Thanks for the help. The material is called out as NI-RESIST D-2 PER ASTM A439-84 GRADE D-2.

From what I could find online it has a Ni content of 18%-22% and a Cr content of 1.75%-2.75%. The Ni is what has me concerned.

It machines well used it for wear rings in some applacations get your feed and speeds down and you will have no problem get under the scale on you're first cut a go for it

It machines well used it for wear rings in some applacations get your feed and speeds down and you will have no problem get under the scale on you're first cut a go for it

Well, hopefully he got that job done... 7 years ago...

Back