Busting my butt trying to rough 3/16" slot in 6061-T651 - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    Fadals are NOTORIOUS about shattered belville washers.
    Its a freakin' Fadal???

For a 3/16" endmill, I wouldn't worry all too much about tool retention, but its a F'n Fadal,
    You ALWAYS have to worry about tool retention. If you can pull a 5hp cut with a 1/2" endmill,
    then that's probably not the problem.

I'll toss an idea out there.. How good is your machine oiling? When was the last time you cleaned
    out your way lube pump and pulled and checked all your metering jets? <--- who am I kidding,
    that's a pain in the ass.

But seriously, it could be a stick slip issue if you aren't getting good oil. It may look like its
    feeding fine, but if its sticking slipping sticking slipping you aren't getting a consistent chipload,
    and on a small(ish/er) endmill, a slip could give you an extra .005 chipload all at once. Because
    from what I've gathered, you aren't having meltdowns, just breaking.

I personally pull the covers every 3 to 6 weeks and give the ways a really good manual lube. Even when
    its oiling well, its still not a lot of oil. It does not take much for the metering valves to get clogged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    You know, re-circulating chips may be the bigger part of the problem here.
    Thanks!
    Mark
    Uh no. That is far from being the problem here.
    How are you holding on to the end mill, how much is sticking out?
    I'm inclined to think that something is at play in your spindle as said earlier your bellville washers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reason #346 to not buy a Fadal.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    Is your spindle on?

You could put a parting blade in a holder, M19 and just zing it across the plate .07" deep at full rapid to get there.

Clamp a straight edge to the plate and use a skilsaw with any old blade?

Only time I've ever had problems like this has been when something is wrong with the retention system. If the tool is totally failing, especially a little itty bitty guy, look at the tool retention, not the tool.
    I was just about to ask this. id bet the tool holder is allowing it to pull out under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BT Fabrication View Post
    I was just about to ask this. id bet the tool holder is allowing it to pull out under pressure.
    It's just so weird - it's such a small tool, and such a light cut that I'm surprised a larger tool hasn't made it clear that retention is low, if that's the actual fault.

Maybe we could get a decent video of the cut, and perhaps prying of a holder in the spindle?

6. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

concidering he is doing super light cuts, my guess, its been a problem for a while and the slower speed compensated for it. or was able to take a loose table that is bouncing around as larger cutters are more ridgid.

I wonder if he puts a large 90 degree face mill in, what that would do and what kind of finishes

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didnt see it asked or answered, but maybe I missed it.

is this a THROUGH slot? in .069" thick material?

If so I would think the material is moving. Perhaps lifting, or the slot is shrinking while in the cut.

You said it is chipping, or breaking. You didn't mention chip welding. this means to me that the PART is MOVING.

Going too fast or not enough chip clearance or lack of coolant may all give you melted aluminum in your flutes and I'd expect to see the evidence in the broken carbide as well as the part. Clean random breaks without this evidence would make me look at how I'm holding it.

Can you post pictures of the destruction? Pics of the tools are okay but I think the people here would have a better idea of what to do when they see the last few inches of cut. An overall picture of what it is and how you're holding it would be greatly beneficial.

I'm surprised nobody is asking for pics? Did I miss the pics?

If I missed some information and pics somewhere in the 4 pages of replies, sorry.

9. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Yeah, using 755B and have 6 nozzles pretty much point-blank squirting the mill..
    Fadals have pretty weak coolant pumps. You might have better luck plugging 5 nozzles, and putting the open one immediately in front of the cut, shooting through the tool, into the slot. That'll give you as much pressure as you can get, and push the chips away from the tool.

That said, I think dandrummerman21 is on to something. It sounds like the part is lifting. 40 IPM is barely 1/2 a cubic inch per minute. That shouldn't suck up a quarter of a HP, so I can't imagine the tool or holder pulling out, even with several broken bellvilles. But if the part is flapping, you can build up enough motion to break that tool almost instantly. The harmonic might build up so fast that the tool is gone before you even hear the chatter. Maybe you could try laying a couple heavy steel bars down, about an inch on either side of the cut. Clamp them down if you can, but it's not essential. They're just there to dampen vibrations.

The bottom line is, the tool isn't the problem. Even the cheapest Chinese silly putty should cut fine with the tools/numbers you're running. Either something is moving, or there's no oil getting to the cut.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I run GW Shultz 3/16 .118 deep slotting 100 ipm everyday 12k rpms no problem at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    It's just so weird - it's such a small tool, and such a light cut that I'm surprised a larger tool hasn't made it clear that retention is low, if that's the actual fault.

Maybe we could get a decent video of the cut, and perhaps prying of a holder in the spindle?
    My experience is with bigger machines, I had a 50 taper monster that was new to me. Everything seemed good with it at first. Bigger tools had poor wall finishes on roughing passes, looked great after finish pass. Small tools would really squeal though. Broke a 3/8" 4fl doing some real easy stuff in mild steel and thought it was a new holder made wrong. It had a few marks on the taper where it'd fretted a bit. I blued it up and it was a perfect match in the taper. I figured it had to be something in the retention system.

In my case I forced some light oil up past the taper into the grabber bits and ran about 50 M6's back to back, cleaned everything up real good and then she worked like a champ.

With a Fadal you're probably looking at replacing parts. For all we know the turcite could be gone and the endmill's breaking when the table rocks over to the other side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you checked your runout? With such low feeds it doesn't take much runout to make your chip loads vary wildly.